Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1993822 - 12/02/12 06:53 PM best way to put a rug under a piano...
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
so, after having been in our new environs for 8 months i finally had my yamaha C7 tuned and voiced by my esteemed tech. it sounds fantastic.

because the ceilings are low (8'), hardwood floors, lots of glass & plaster walls, he recommended soaking up some of the sound with a large rug, which we've now acquired (13x16). but the trick is going to be how to get the rug (and pad) under the piano. logistically, i think we'll unroll it width-wise so the piano can be lifted one leg at a time.

i'm thinking of calling my piano movers since they're very experienced handling pianos. anyone have any experience/ thoughts on best way to do this AFTER the piano is already in the room?

here's a photo taken shortly after we moved in, for reference:

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1993840 - 12/02/12 07:44 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
A couple of buddies can lift one leg at a time with no problem. The cost would be about a case of beer.

#1993856 - 12/02/12 08:30 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
For most people, I suggest calling the movers. It is virtually impossible to unroll a medium-sized or larger rug to line up square and flat doing it one leg of a time. In the alternative, you could try unrolling and relaxing the rug elsewhere before lining it up and placing it one leg at a time.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1993860 - 12/02/12 08:39 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
For most people, I suggest calling the movers. It is virtually impossible to unroll a medium-sized or larger rug to line up square and flat doing it one leg of a time. In the alternative, you could try unrolling and relaxing the rug elsewhere before lining it up and placing it one leg at a time.

Actually, I think it could be quite easy if you squish up the rug in the middle and then slide the ends in one at a time as some guys hold up the corresponding leg. Of course, you'll probably have to do minor adjustments, as I don't think you'd get it all in one shot.

Edited by Morodiene (12/02/12 08:39 PM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1993867 - 12/02/12 08:55 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
If the rug is underneath the piano but needs adjustment(which will almost probably occur)this could require lifting more than one leg at a time which is riskier and harder than lifting only one leg at a time.

#1993868 - 12/02/12 08:59 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: pianoloverus]

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
If the rug is underneath the piano but needs adjustment(which will almost probably occur)this could require lifting more than one leg at a time which is riskier and harder than lifting only one leg at a time.

But with a few men, it can be done.

To avoid having to make a lot of adjustments, you may want to use painter's tape and make straight lines where the rug should go so when you're setting it you can line it up so it's not wonky.

If that seems too hard, then definitely call in a professional.

#1993901 - 12/02/12 10:21 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Call the piano movers. Risking injury to non-professionals (friends) is not a good idea, IMHO.

BTW, have you tried the piano with the carpet under it? Not precisely placed, but to get an impression of the sound. You might find you prefer the sound without the carpet.

Edited by Melodialworks Music (12/02/12 10:21 PM)
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1993914 - 12/02/12 10:44 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Melodialworks Music]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Call the piano movers. Risking injury to non-professionals (friends) is not a good idea, IMHO.

BTW, have you tried the piano with the carpet under it? Not precisely placed, but to get an impression of the sound. You might find you prefer the sound without the carpet.

yes, been acclimating the piano to the room for 8 months, playing with rugs, cushions, furniture, etc. It's a semi-concert grand in a relatively small space, and experiments have confirmed my tech's opinion re: taking some of the 'liveness' out of the room.

#1993924 - 12/02/12 11:09 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
PaintedPostDave Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York
Beautiful room and nice drum set (the piano is nice, too).

I put small support plates under each of the casters on my seven footer by using an inexpensive pneumatic jack (for changing tires) and some 2x4 blocks - one leg at a time. You could slide a rug under each leg one at a time using the same technique. Then you can drink all the beer yourself. smile
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/

#1993942 - 12/03/12 12:55 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Morodiene]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

To avoid having to make a lot of adjustments, you may want to use painter's tape and make straight lines where the rug should go so when you're setting it you can line it up so it's not wonky.

What you describe is precisely what is nearly impossible to do. It's a C7...over 900 lbs. And these neighbors who love endlessly lifting the piano to get the rug just so...exactly where do they put their feet while they are lifting the piano so that you can adjust the rug?

If you do it yourself, you have one shot to align it and unroll it while passing under one leg at a time. If you are happy with where it lays, great. If not, roll it up and start over because there is no adjusting a rug while under a piano.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1993965 - 12/03/12 02:56 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
He said "rug", Sam, not carpet. Who would carpet that wood floor of his?

#1993966 - 12/03/12 03:04 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
The way I do these things is lay out the rug where it should be, folding over the corners that go under the legs. Then I lift each leg as someone else unfolds the rug. All they have to do is get the rug under the caster. The rest of the rug can fold up against my legs until I let the piano down. But I have piano moving experience, and know how to lift.

#1993978 - 12/03/12 04:23 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
As Painted Post Dave says, I would find a way of lifting up at each leg in turn using a car jack. I'd find a suitable piece of wood and a protective layer to bear at suitable places underside and a good firm base to raise up the jack. If not 100% sure of what you're doing, don't do it.

Edited by Withindale (12/03/12 04:26 AM)

#1994024 - 12/03/12 08:19 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]

Originally Posted By: Entheo
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music

yes, been acclimating the piano to the room for 8 months, playing with rugs, cushions, furniture, etc. It's a semi-concert grand in a relatively small space, and experiments have confirmed my tech's opinion re: taking some of the 'liveness' out of the room.

Another option rather than the rug is to put some sound-proofing materials on the walls. You can buy nice-looking acoustic ceiling tile, paint it, and glue it (or otherwise fasten it) to the walls. It can imitate the look of wainscoting, and be effective without the hassle of lifting piano legs.

#1994025 - 12/03/12 08:22 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: PianoWorksATL]

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

What you describe is precisely what is nearly impossible to do. It's a C7...over 900 lbs. And these neighbors who love endlessly lifting the piano to get the rug just so...exactly where do they put their feet while they are lifting the piano so that you can adjust the rug?

If you do it yourself, you have one shot to align it and unroll it while passing under one leg at a time. If you are happy with where it lays, great. If not, roll it up and start over because there is no adjusting a rug while under a piano.

My husband lifted my 9' Petrof so I could place caster cups underneath the leg. I figure with a few men they could lift one leg at a time to slide carpet edges underneath. Obviously, you'd have to roll it up and it does depend upon the size of the carpet....if it's much larger than the piano then there's more to deal with.

#1994026 - 12/03/12 08:23 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Withindale]

Originally Posted By: Withindale
As Painted Post Dave says, I would find a way of lifting up at each leg in turn using a car jack. I'd find a suitable piece of wood and a protective layer to bear at suitable places underside and a good firm base to raise up the jack. If not 100% sure of what you're doing, don't do it.

We did this once when we were installing hardwood floors under our piano! If you're careful, it's a great solution when you're in a bind. smile

#1994028 - 12/03/12 08:27 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thanks for all the advice; it's helping me think it thru. it's especially tricky because it has to be done twice - once for the pad and once for the rug.

i'm definitely not attempting this with friends & family, will call in some pros. it might make the most sense to actually put the piano on the mover's dolly, roll it out of the room, and have a clear palette to work with. my movers are good; they can do that in about 15 minutes. problem is my fresh new beautiful tuning will get munged, although i was shocked at how well the C7 stayed in tune after the move to the house and how long it stays in tune. they must put extraordinary pinblocks in those things.

ps - i'll post another photo after the job is done.

Edited by Entheo (12/03/12 08:50 AM)

#1994037 - 12/03/12 09:00 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's a rather large size rug..there used to be a company that made rugs in the shape of a baby grand to just fit under the piano..a little beyond the legs.. not sure if there still around, that would be an easier alternative than jockeying a large area rug..

#1994055 - 12/03/12 10:04 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
My wife and I accomplished this ourselves and it was easier than expected. Use a pair of 2X4s to lift the piano. Cut one to a length equal to the distance from the floor to the bottom of the piano. This is the fulcrum. The second one was 6 to 8 feet long. Use this as the lever.

1. Lift the piano end opposite the keyboard and slide the rug in under the pedals and the lifted leg. The edges are folded to miss the other two legs.
2. Lift one side and unfold the rug.
3. Lift the other side and unfold the rug.

I like the idea of using masking tape to position the rug. That is a great tip. We used a round rug which makes positioning a little easier. Using a lever to lift makes it easy for the lifter to hold the piano up. Then the rug wrangler can work slowly and carefully under the piano.

#1994102 - 12/03/12 11:51 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
First pre-measure for exact rug position.

-Position rolled up rug so that it unrolls toward the back leg.
-unroll enough of the rug to slide under the front of the piano.
-Pick up the treble leg and slide rug under. Place the leg on to the pre-measured spot. This is the only measurement needed. The rest of the rug us squared to the room.
-Lift bass leg and slide rug under and square it to the room. As the rug is squared to the room, check for bunching under the treble leg. Usually the wheel turns with the rug but if not just lift the treble side as needed to avoid damage.
-finish by unrolling rug under the back leg.

I've done this a few times with little and once with no help from the customer.

#1994150 - 12/03/12 01:43 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Bob Newbie]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bob Newbie
That's a rather large size rug..there used to be a company that made rugs in the shape of a baby grand to just fit under the piano..a little beyond the legs.. not sure if there still around, that would be an easier alternative than jockeying a large area rug..

yes this is a large rug, which logistically precludes some suggestions about sliding the rug around and unrolling it from certain positions.

i experimented placing a rug under the piano, but frankly visual aesthetics are involved here as well... i, or should i say my wife, doesn't want a potpourri of rugs and baffles hanging off of the walls. with the hardwood floors, glass sliders, plaster walls and low ceilings the most effective and visually pleasing solution is a large rug with a pad underneath. drums, piano & furniture will go on top of it. it should tie everything together nicely.

the rug people have indicated that the only viable solution is moving the piano out of the room, and at this point that's what i'm going to do... have my movers roll it into the hall, lay down the pad and then the rug and get everything lined up perfectly, and then move the piano back in and relocate it a few inches further back in the room (been wanting to do this anyway).

#1994341 - 12/03/12 08:54 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
And when everything settles in satisfactorily, invite your tuner back.

#1994533 - 12/04/12 08:49 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: malkin]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
And when everything settles in satisfactorily, invite your tuner back.

i'm hoping if i invite him quickly enough he'll give me a 'touch-up' rate smile

#1994722 - 12/04/12 05:59 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

13 x 16 is a pretty large rug. It looks like it will fill up most of your floor space, so your problem is getting the piano in one corner of the room on top of one corner of the rug.

I would first position the pad and carpet where you want them in the other three corners. You then have the rest of the pad and carpet bunched up in the center of the room. As you lift each leg, have someone pull the pad in under each leg until you are happy where it is positioned. Then repeat with the carpet, which you obviously hope will overlap the pad.

It can be a two person job. For the lifting of each leg, position a chair next to the leg and right at the piano. Sit on the chair and use your knees to lift and hold the leg up. It is surprisingly easy to lift and hold a leg up on a large grand this way.

#1994923 - 12/05/12 08:33 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
I read stuff like this and my only comment is "WHERE ARE THE MEN" Are we really this helpless?? So it takes a few go-rounds to get it into position with a couple of friends/neighbors. I have done this kind of thing by myself with a hydraulic car jack and a length of a 4"X 4" with my concert-grands. Alternately, you can make a template of the location of the legs and transfer that location to the rug using some masking tape, then just line up the tape with the wheels. Honestly we can't be this stupid or helpless or it's all over!!!!

#1994928 - 12/05/12 08:56 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: John Pels]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: John Pels
I read stuff like this and my only comment is "WHERE ARE THE MEN" Are we really this helpless?? So it takes a few go-rounds to get it into position with a couple of friends/neighbors. I have done this kind of thing by myself with a hydraulic car jack and a length of a 4"X 4" with my concert-grands. Alternately, you can make a template of the location of the legs and transfer that location to the rug using some masking tape, then just line up the tape with the wheels. Honestly we can't be this stupid or helpless or it's all over!!!!

Haha, the same thing occurred to me. People are so dainty these days. wink Calling piano movers to install a rug? Nah, just get a few decent size guys and get busy! Pianos are heavy, yes, but the fact that they are on 3 legs means you never have to lift much of that weight. You just have to get your strategy right before you start lifting.

#1994938 - 12/05/12 09:24 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

john pels & ando, you can choose to get your buddies, a case of beer and a car jack to lift your 900 lb $65k piano while trying to jockey a 13x16 pad-then-rug underneath it but even tho i may have slept at a holiday inn express last night i'd prefer to make sure something like the following video doesn't happen...

#1994963 - 12/05/12 10:28 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.

#1994970 - 12/05/12 10:37 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Originally Posted By: ando
It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.

+1

My wife and I alone have moved our Yamaha G7 (not light) all over our main floor. We moved it to the kitchen while carpet was installed, moved it to different locations in the living room for various reasons. I'm 70 years old and we recently moved it so we could have a flat screen mounted above it and then moved it back. Not a big deal and we never even considered calling a mover. It's a puzzle to me too.

#1994973 - 12/05/12 10:40 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ando

appreciate the good wishes ando; yes i have now thought it thru with the help of others here on this thread, and the many possibilities have been narrowed down to one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
70 registered (bennevis, Al LaPorte, Allard, barbaram, Alux, 14 invisible), 1118 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318700 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission