2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 94 of 106 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You mean, that didn't "Dawn" on you David??? smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nope. I was kinda' "In the Dark" ... so-to-speak.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Inside a piano I serviced today there was a sticker with a signature from a fellow called Bill Faber. Apparently he was the cabinet designer and was a member of the Grand Rapids Furniture Designers Association.
I had no idea that Grand Rapids was a furniture design hotspot. Jerry, can you add anything further to that?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well David, as Motel 6 used to say, "I'll leave the light on for ya until the crack of dawn."

Hi Dan,

Early Grand Rapids earned the nickname "the furniture city," because it was the first center of mass-produced furniture in North America.

http://www.grmuseum.org/exhibits/furniture_city

William Haldane opened a cabinet shop in 1836, 14 years before Grand Rapids incorporated. Other furniture companies followed: Berkey and Gay, Widdicomb, Sligh, Hekman, and Phoenix were among those taking advantage of the Grand River for transportation and power, the area's abundant hardwood supply, and a growing immigrant labor pool. The furniture soon attracted national attention.

In 1876, the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition proved conclusively that a river town in Michigan had indeed earned the title "Furniture City." Presidents Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, and Dwight D. Eisenhower all worked at Grand Rapids-made desks. Fifteen manufacturers joined forces to build 1,000 Handley Page bombers during World War I. The Japanese Instrument of Surrender was signed on September 2, 1945, at a table made in Grand Rapids. Despite fires, floods, strikes, depressions, and wars, Grand Rapids led the industry until the 1950s and 1960s, when the factories began moving to North Carolina. Today the area, along with nearby Holland and Zeeland, dominates the office furniture industry.

Here are a couple of interesting articles about Grand Rapids. There is a LOT more to our city than meets the eye. We are extremely well diversified.

http://www.midwestguest.com/2012/02/grand-rapids-michigan-the-furniture-city.html

http://grcity.us/design-and-develop...ment/Pages/More-Than-Furniture-City.aspx

I've been feeling great lately so I'm working harder. Feels nice to be able to work harder again!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It does not rain much in sunny California, but we had a fair amount, by our standards, of liquid sunshine today. I had a show to tune for at one of the great theaters in San Francisco, and while I was tuning, some of that liquid began falling on me. I pointed that out to the stage manager. Upon further inspection, some of it had fallen into the monitor mixing board, causing it to flake out. Fortunately, experience leads to preparation, and there was a hair dryer available. I had a broken string to replace while they dried out the monitor board, which held the doors for a while, delaying an onstage interview with the headliner. But everything went well, and the show came off with no further hitches.

The theater is due for retrofitting beginning next year, so some of the maintenance is probably not up to snuff. My house is the same way, as we work with the architects to get our own retrofit launched.

Semipro Tech
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
It does not rain much in sunny California, but we had a fair amount, by our standards, of liquid sunshine today. I had a show to tune for at one of the great theaters in San Francisco, and while I was tuning, some of that liquid began falling on me. I pointed that out to the stage manager. Upon further inspection, some of it had fallen into the monitor mixing board, causing it to flake out. Fortunately, experience leads to preparation, and there was a hair dryer available. I had a broken string to replace while they dried out the monitor board, which held the doors for a while, delaying an onstage interview with the headliner. But everything went well, and the show came off with no further hitches.

The theater is due for retrofitting beginning next year, so some of the maintenance is probably not up to snuff. My house is the same way, as we work with the architects to get our own retrofit launched.

Sounds like the arts in SF are in a pretty sorry state. You paint a picture of a ramshackle affair with the roof leaking and the piano overdue for restringing in one of its great theatres.

Has the economy hit hard there too?

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

B
BDB Offline
B
Well, the theater's piano is overdue for restringing, but we were using an Artist Reserve instrument from Yamaha. As I said, the theater is in a building which is going to be retrofitted for seismic upgrades. It is a very historical theater, of international importance, so the retrofit will undoubtedly be done with much loving care.

Tomorrow may be my last show there, as the group I tune for is putting the finishing touches on their own theater, and I was just informed that they have taken my advice, and will be getting two new concert grands for it. The new theater will take some of the load during the retrofit.

If, as I hope, I can get my retrofit done before the theater's, I may take in their piano and restring it. Their retrofit is slated to take 2 years. I do not have space for it now, but I will after my house is reworked.

I have another show for a different organization Monday, a dance company who has built their own theater and school in recent years. So I would say that the arts are doing reasonably well around here.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
BDB,

I didn't realize you were in the northern California area. I graduated from Golden Gate Seminary in Mill Valley back in 1997. Coming from rural southeast Missouri, California was a change for me, but I really enjoyed it. Lived out there for about three years. While in seminary, I worked as the music director over in Concord at Bethel Baptist Church. I still have a lot of dear friends that I have not seen in years. May have to make a trip sometime.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I have fond memories of the Orpheum. Wonderful building. Glad to hear the arts are still thriving in SF. I suppose being surrounded by water has its problems for pianos.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm so busy right now that I'm working Saturday's too. I tuned 4 yesterday. Next week I'm tuning no less than 4 a day, 5 and 6 on some days, 6 next week Saturday etc., until December 16th when I"m taking the rest of this month off.

I'm trying to limit myself to only 4 a day but, that sure is hard to do!!! I'm booked solid through January 28th right now and have been. Nice feeling to be so busy! smile

I also acquired 3 new churches in the past 10 days. They weren't happy with their previous technician and so I got the call. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting links about Grand Rapids, which you have posted Jerry. I had no idea as I am not familiar with that area of the US, thanks for the history lesson.

Very busy here too... working even today... glad to read that you are getting back to a more regular schedule...

B
BDB Offline
B
Edna Ferber wrote one of her epics about a lumber baron in Michigan, Come And Get It. It is worth a read.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I read a book, I think it's called "Tall Pines".. I think.. All about being a lumberman up around Kalkaska, near Manistee Lake where my cottages are at. The guy that wrote the book is buried up there in Cold Springs Twp. I can't look up the name because the book is setting in one of the cottages but it sure was interesting. He talked about dances, fires, when the lumber started running dry, buying one of the first places around our lake etc.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Spent a week at Deer Camp. One guy killed a 7-pointer by shooting it through the base of the antler. Go figure!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And, now many points does he get for that?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

maybe 7?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Officially only 3 or 4, depending on which antler was shot off. Unofficially about 147 "luck" points. About the same for the flying grouse I hit with a .22 the other year.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Today I tuned a cute-as-a-button German Knake mini grand from about 1910. The case is semi-circular in the back. These are pictures of an identical piano.
34 notes in the bass, a total of 66 wound strings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JG
D
D
Oh , I love this! What a great display of engineering and artistic designs. Thanks for the pictures! The field of wound strings covers almost half the plate! How is tenor tone and sustain?

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Cute little grand Jurgen. I have never come across one of those.

Tuned an early Nordheimer this morning where middle C was three full tones flat. Not sure how many cents that is but must more than half the tension load over the whole frame.

Page 94 of 106 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission