2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1981929 11/02/12 06:49 PM
E
EmilyM. Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi there--

I'm very new to this piano buying process! I've been an almost life-long piano player and am decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. My 11 year old daughter shows much more potential than I ever did. I have 3 other piano playing kids as well.

So, with that said, I went to go check out grand pianos the other day for the first time ever. My sister recently bought an RX-2 and loves it, so I thought I would try the Kawai as well. It was a nice piano, much nicer than the one I'm used to playing. But, then the sales lady let me play a 6'0" Schimmel and I died and went to heaven...problem being a much heftier price tag. So, I'm trying to go the used route. While in my search, I came across a 2004 5'10" Vogel. Since I can't compare the Schimmel and Vogel side-by-side, I'm just wondering what you all think about the qualities of a Vogel. What do you think about buying the piano over the internet, where I haven't had a chance to play it myself? A piano tech that had recently tuned the piano told me it was beautiful and had a warm, clear tone, but that it needed regulating work. But, I still hear the sound of the Schimmel in my ears... So, should I hold out for a good used Schimmel or go for the Vogel?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Since you are perceptive about the differences between Kawai and Schimmel I would not suggest buying any used piano, probably not even a Schimmel, over the internet without trying it first.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I think there's a lot of subtlety that's lost going from a Schimmel to a Vogel. I also strongly agree with pianoloverus. I would never consider buying a piano without trying it first, unless I was buying it specifically to be restored.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
You should never buy a piano without first seeing and trying it out yourself. Period.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
The RX-3 is 6'1" so it would be 1" closer in comparison if you want to compare Kawai vs. Schimmel. Same with Vogel; is there a 6' version of it?

Flipping through Piano Buyer...

The 6" Schimmel MSP is $38k. That is roughly the same MSP as the RX-3! Well, I didn't expect that... I was expecting for the price of a 6" Schimmel you might get an RX-5 or RX-6. Then the comparison would be interesting. But perhaps not if the Piano Buyer prices mean Kawai has raised its prices.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I've owned a Schimmel for 24 years and love the warm tones it has. At the time I tried a Kawai, which is a nice piano, but very bright in comparison to the Schimmel. My piano is very, very stable and requires tuning only once every 2-3 years, even though it's played daily. Good luck in your search. Even though I bought the new Schimmel sight unseen, I probably wouldn't do that again, particularly with a used piano.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I tried a brand-new Vogel side-by-side with several different Schimmels. The Schimmel K series are very fine indeed but the Vogel was pretty nice, too. Much less money. I don't know if they were as good a few years ago or not. I would play the Vogel a lot before buying just to be sure you really are happy. In fact, I would recommend that for any piano you are considering.

E
EmilyM. Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you everyone for your input. I really do appreciate it. I guess what I've learned is that I really need to go play the piano for myself and not rely on the opinion of the experts. Wish me luck that a used Schimmel will find itself for sale close by.:)

G
G
I've been on a recent piano hunt and played many Schimmel and Vogel's (and many others). The Schimmel K series were quite nice and the NWS a major step up from the K series. However, the gap between Schimmel C series and Vogel seemed pretty minor to me and from the pianos I had a chance to play I think I would have selected the Vogel over the C series. When you then add in the price advantage of the Vogel it's quite impressive.

You've hit the nail on the head - play lots of pianos!!

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
I
ilm Offline
I
EmilyM, Since you are looking for a used Schimmel, keep in mind the GP169, GP189, GP213 were renamed as the K169, K189, K213.

They are the same as once mentioned here by another poster on this forum.

-ILM (Owner of a Schimmel)

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Welcome and welcome to the piano search adventure!

I think it's best to visit a lot of dealers and play as many pianos as you can find. Also visit dealers having 2nd hand pianos and try those as well. I believe there is always one that you really like, probably as much as the Schimmel, yet is within your budget

For comparign side by side, I solved that by recording them all with a decent recorder (and speaking aloud how the action feels). I ended up with maybe 100 recordings in half a year. Comparing them side by side is then done at home.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
EmilyM. Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you for all the input!!:) Since I have played lots of pianos, and still may continue to, I may have moved on from my love of the Schimmel (even though I really really enjoy them) to a Steinway Model M. I'm going to post again about that:) Thanks again!:)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission