2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
...my CP5...unlike my PX130, it doesn't clatter or make a sound with playing. It's a solid, well made keyboard.

I plucked this from another thread and would like to know which pianos are noisy or quiet, this of course along with the subjective good playable action.

Reasonably quiet key operation is high on my list of preferences.

Last edited by o0Ampy0o; 12/06/12 01:38 AM.
My vote goes to Kawai (RH & RM3). Quiet and very nice actions.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
It's hard to say exactly which are quietest and loudest because the sounds are different pitches and occur at different times. I agree with Jarosujo about the Kawai wood actions (AWA Pro 1 and 2, RM3, GF) that they are on the quieter side and also they have a lower pitch. Kind of a "whump" sound that I personally find less obtrusive than many other action sounds.

On the other side of the scale in my experience are the Avantgrands. I don't know how they compare in terms of decibels, but they sort of make a bunch of different sounds (because the action is so much more complex) as the key goes down. Each individual sound isn't too loud, but overall I find them quite distracting to play. I'd probably opt for closed headphones if I had an AvantGrand.

Most of the other actions are in between those two extremes. Roland (PHAIII) is quiet until it bottoms out, but I find the bottom out noise sharper and more distracting than Kawai. Personally I'd put the Yamaha GH/GHE/GH3 actions between the Roland and the Kawai.

The physical build of the piano and what stand it rests on matters as well, so sometimes we can't even class noise by action. The MP8/MP8II/MP10 line is particularly heavy for a stage piano, which I think contributes to its low action noise. It may be that the physical lightweightness of the Casio you refer to is a contributing factor, as well as the stand on which the original poster had it.

Of course, none of them are a real problem when playing with speakers at acoustic-like volumes. But with headphones on or playing at low volume, action sounds do matter. By the way, we had some threads earlier this year in which people were complaining about the Kawai action sounds. The problem was that the lower pitch traverses walls and floors more easily than higher pitches and can bother others around you. I guess there's no perfect action in this respect.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/06/12 03:09 AM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
about the Rolands, which I tested a lot:
- if build into their stage pianos / slabs, they are very silent, no reason to worry about it
- if build into a furniture style cabinet (like HP-500 series) then the wooden box of the furniture amplifies the hard bottom out so much, that it is indeed a noise which can disturb others around in the room if you play with headphones and they want to read a book

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission