2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 175 of 370 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 369 370
G
G
ok getting sentimental now. here's one of my all time favorite bands from some of the best years i wish i could remember. one of UK's finest: we played a lot of wishbone ash in the band i was in in the early to mid 70's.

gw

Last edited by gwood; 01/29/12 08:52 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recently inherited my Grandma's "sock darner". I know how to use it and I do. Maybe next time someone with a tiny eco friendly car gets all smug and self rightious on me I'll ask them when was the last time you repaired your socks instead of throwing them in the landfill?

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In honor of scavenging and re-using of all sorts of things before anything was "green", here's "One Piece At A Time"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
OOOH, little blue engine... Is that a wooden mushroom shaped object? My gran had one, i remember playing with it when I was a kid!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gwood, loved the wishbone ash!!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
OOOH, little blue engine... Is that a wooden mushroom shaped object? My gran had one, i remember playing with it when I was a kid!!
My Grandma's looks a little more like a small bowling pin but I can imagine the advantages to a mushroom shape. I used to play with it too and she showed me how to use it and years later she got a laugh when I told her that nobody in my high school English class knew what darning a sock was. A charachter in one of our books was darning a sock and the teacher asked if anyone knew what that meant. I got the sudden uneasy feeling I was being stared at and realized I was the only one whio raised their hand so I had to explain to the whole class how you darn a sock. Then the teacher said nowdays we just say "darn sock" and throw it away.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Yes! i do know the shape you are talking about, just realised my gran had two, one like a mushroom and the other longer. I think she used the mushroom shaped one for heels of the socks and the other one for nearer the toes!!

I darn everything, my jeans, my jumpers, my socks, and my leather jacket!! i would also darn my para boots, but they are too tough!! I have to be content with forever glue ing the soles back on.

I cant imagine what sort of muppetts keep giving money to niki and other labels? and then complain they are broke!!!

To me, clothes are rags to keep you warm in winter, they can be got from the charity shops for a couple of quid, leaving good money for food and fun!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Charity shops, thrift shops, yard sales the clearance rack and occasionally the side of the road if traffic permits...all wonderful places to shop! Name brands are great if someone else pays the name brand price before you buy it at the Goodwill store. When you're not picky about "pre-ownership" of things you can have much nicer stuff than if you pay for it new. When you can make it last practically forever by fixing instead of tossing it almost turns into a game. Just how long can we make Hubby's station wagon last? We're at 27 years and counting. I drive the new car, its only 16 years old grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
A a fellow skip hunter I suspect!! me and mRs R have oft been spotted "rescuing and recycling" from the skips that appear at random for folk to dispose of their unwanted but totally good stuff!

In fact we have taken it one step further, when i cut myself mechanicing, mrs R often superglues me back together again, I mean we would have to travel 30 miles round trip to the nearest A and E.
( we live in the sticks)

Once, I was in a rush, and didnt notice the bedroom door was actualy open and I run into the edge of it.
this split my forehead open, in the spirit of mend and repair, I got mRs R to thread some fishing line cat gut, and she put three stitches in my forehead.
This saved us about a tenner in fuel, a three to four hour wait for a nurse to do exactly the same, and Mrs R did it so much neater, being a demon with the needle and thread.

a week later we snipped them, pulled them out, and I was as good as new again, apart from a small amount of extra common sense that the door had knocked into me.

oh, I will take a video of what the supermarket built to keep a group of us out of their skips, you wont believe the trouble they went to, it must have cost them thousands.

they would rather throw, joints of beef weighing up to four kilos away, just because they are out of date tommorrow, than sell them a couple of quid cheaper....
This is disgusting, bread, cakes, cheese, everything they sell they chuck out by the TON, before it is out of date. Half the world starves and they do this.

BUT, the 15ft high razor topped fence they built has a weak spot and we have spotted it, And they are off gaurd, having forgotten about us for a while now..........

I will get a video...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
I listened to the Hungarian Rock thing, and it sounds like Morse code or something.

ok I think I am figuring something out. So Wayne gives the aliens a fake Rossy badge. Shortly after, PPP shows up and posted that oddness. Twice. Did they get to him too?

You talk as if my odd post is somehow out of character? I actually thought, for me, that post had a pretty conservative sound.

This is odd:

Odder:

WTF?

This, on the other hand, is just awesome:

(Hahahaha - His YouTube subscribers asked him to arrange a version of this - and he did it! - and yes, I am one of his subscribers grin )

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Good morning PPP, I like John cage, he was the father of avant garde!!
that was exactly the same program as a very young John cale (Velvet underground) was on : Ive got a secret. Both Johns knew each other and did things together.

John Cale was the guest on this September 16, 1963 episode of I've Got a Secret. His secret centered around his participation in an 18 hour 40 minute piano performance, the first full length presentation of Erik Satie's "Vexations" held at the Pocket Theater. (Not mentioned, pianists John Cage, David Tudor, Christian Wolff, Philip Corner, Viola Farber, Robert Wood, MacRae Cook, David Del Tredici, James Tenney, Howard Klein (the New York Times reviewer), Joshua Rifkin, with two reserves, and with Cale all took turns playing the piece that is three lines long, the required 840 times on September 9, 1963, from 6 p.m. to 12:40 p.m. the following day. John Cage was the fifth of the many pianists who followed after John Cale who was, of course, the fourth. More importantly, Cage arranged for the entire performance having been introduced to this music while in Paris in 1949. A page of sheet music of the piece was lent to him by Henri Sauguet, and Cage kept a photostat of it with him then, finally performing it 14 years later. I read of this in David Revill's book "The Roaring Silence.") Seated also on the I've Got a Secret stage was Off Broadway actor, Karl Schenzer, who's secret was that he was the only person to stay for the entire piano concert.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
His secret centered around his participation in an 18 hour 40 minute piano performance, the first full length presentation of Erik Satie's "Vexations" held at the Pocket Theater. (Not mentioned, pianists John Cage, David Tudor, Christian Wolff, Philip Corner, Viola Farber, Robert Wood, MacRae Cook, David Del Tredici, James Tenney, Howard Klein (the New York Times reviewer), Joshua Rifkin, with two reserves, and with Cale all took turns playing the piece that is three lines long, the required 840 times

Cheaters!!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
The funniest thing was when john cale went to the piano, and he was asked "do you need the sheet music, cant you remember it?" "No, I cant remember it"

And thats the thing, it may be only two sheets, but even after hearing and playing it for eighteen hours, its not memorable....

is this what Satie was about in the "repeat 840 times?" he had discovered something that just cannot ve remembered?

the guy who was the only one who sat through eighteen hours was funny..."looking forward to hearing it again"

And the guy in the audience that shouted "encore" classic.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Hi guys, been away a while, dealing with 'stuff'. Just catching up with four pages of posts! Loved the vid Rossy! and the dancing zebra.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Here's Mala, the original dubstepper, with Changes, from 2007:

He used to open his live set with this. Very spooky in a big dark room, with gigantic bass bins. 100 people swaying in the darkness in the crypt of a church in Brixton. (You don't get the fab bass effect on a 'puter.)

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Here's Warpaint with Undertow:

acoustic version:

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I was just about to make another video to explain where you were Eglantine, glad to see you back.
Next sunday will be Griffins desert Island discs.

Explaining the premise of this to those not familiar with BBC radio4 and its 70 year old running show, was not as easy as it should have been.

One would think thats there isnt much not to "get" mostly.

Its not rocket science.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

I always remember Nigella's: a few pretty ravey sounds and a wish for the island to be Ibiza. Class A.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WOW Eglantine, just as you was posting that, I was downloading it, to use as background music whilst Steven hawking explained the rules of desert island discs.

I had to go and ask him to do this, because apparently I was not clever enough to explain the rules in an adequate way.

the rules are obviously so complex , that only the good proff can explain them...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Page 175 of 370 1 2 173 174 175 176 177 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission