2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 226 of 540 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 539 540
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
After I struggled to play it, she wrote my exclamations as I utter and where i did in my score in pencil! So I see "oh sh*t! F*ck! Darn it! " written all over my score. She told me "those are the places that you get off tempo, stop swearing, it's a waste of time".

So funny! Thanks for sharing this.

My teacher frequently tells me to stop talking, but he hasn't transcribed me yet.

Learner
W
W
Played in my first recital today. I was nervous and started to bomb but recovered and finished good per my instructor!! My song was the Shepherd's Song. Had fun!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
There is nothing wrong with "bombing" at first, as long as you CAN recover, which, alas, sometimes I fail to do.
Nervous = cold, sweaty hands, which are veery slow frown

Anyway, I'm thrilled about the fact that I finally found a way to do some trilling, which is not with finger 2 + 3 (I tried for years) but with fingers 1 + 3

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations Warlock214, that's a big achievement

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats warlock! Thats a big achievement indeed!

Sideshow, thats interesting, I found trilling 1+3 more difficult than 2+3.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
well, last lesson with my teacher, while my "analog" piano is waiting for a hammer and shanks transplant and we where working on the digital... he made me pick up the book of chopin ballades, open page #13 and start the "presto con fuoco" section... start slow, get the base movement under the fingers... but that is the next "short" work we will work on.
I'm still speechless... we started working together 2 months ago and he already made me learn more than I did learn by myself in the last year... I was totally stuck at a plateau and he just pulled me out in less than 10 lessons.

I'm happy.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Sounds very encouraging Ataru074 and one more good reason to have a teacher in the first place

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm about two hours early, but I can't stay up that late for the occasion, so...

Happy 3rd Birthday to AOTW!
[Linked Image]

Mom must be very proud... I know there are pics of her on PW somewhere, can't seem to find one right now though.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
~Congrats Warlock124 that first recital is terribly nerve racking, I remember my first recital/piano jury I played a Rondo by Purcell, and my hands were shaking so badly I messed up the opening notes, resulting this werid cacphony of sound. After that not so auspicious start I managed to pick up the pieces and made it through the piece without any more grevious errors.

~Ataru074, wow that's an achievement! I can't wait till the day I can open a book of Chopin's ballades and start playing one of them. I am working on his post. waltz in A minor, the ballades seems so far off sometimes.

My highlight of the week, was with Bach. I had been working on Chopin's Waltz so much during the week, getting the pedaling just right etc... so in need of a different piece I decided to dust off my copy of his Prelude no. 1 in C major. I hadn't played for ages an suddenly I was playing them at a faster tempo then I did before and I was really happy with how the poco a poco cresendo sounded; it sound much more individual than ever before. I quite chuffed, this how I want to play this piece, my interpretation of this piece. I felt so connected to the music for the duration of the piece, completely obsorbed in it. I was playing it not learning or critiquing it, but simply being in the music letting the glorious music flit around me. After the Bach piece, I went and played some of the Waltz and it improved measurably, now if only the rest of the waltz would sound like those few measures.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
I felt so connected to the music for the duration of the piece, completely obsorbed in it. I was playing it not learning or critiquing it, but simply being in the music letting the glorious music flit around me. After the Bach piece, I went and played some of the Waltz and it improved measurably, now if only the rest of the waltz would sound like those few measures.
Love, love, love that feeling! 3hearts

JimF - Happy Birthday! I appreciate how you always bring a note of cheer to this forum. thumb

Cheryl - love the video! smile Here's another fun one too: [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GvXazJiAEIA[/video]
But maybe it should be saved until December.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Sounds awful... despairing of getting recital submission together. Piano sounds worse than before it was tuned.

Thoughts? Should I complain?
Maybe post this in the Tuner-Technicians forum, and see what they have to say.

AOTW:
I learned three things this week while I was re-recording my recital piece:
1) I perceive my pauses as much, much longer than they actually are.
2) When I'm performing, I need to forget all the little details that I've worked so hard on during practices, and just trust myself to play what I know.
3) Relaxing really does make it easier to play. (Well, that one I already knew, but I hadn't learned it.)

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
Don't know what to say, Tallguy. Have your previous tunings on this piano been more to your liking and lasted longer? The weather here lately has been all over the place as far as humidity. This time of year is typically a time of transition from heating to air conditioning. I won't get my piano tuned until July after our A/C has been running for a while.

Yes, it's been pretty bad lately (for newer folks reading -- dynamobt and I live just one town away from another... plus, I just get a kick out of repeating that because I find it so extraordinary that in a world of 6+ billion people we would bump into one another in this humble thread, of a particular forum of mutual interest, in this little corner of the internet).

We don't have central A/C, so I don't know that the timing will make such a great difference. I really wanted to get it tuned before the recital, but that's turned out to not be so useful after all.

I used to have a spinet piano before getting my M&H. I don't think there is some inherent flaw in a spinet in general that they won't hold a tune. Mine would tune up well and hold tune very well.

Is this tuning experience vasty different from others on this exact piano? I think that's the question you should be asking. If the piano has tuned up well in the past and held tune, and you are not happy 8 days after a full tuning, then I would say somethig to your tuner about it.

This is only the 2nd tuning since it was neglected for 10+ years. I will definitely say something to him, and pass along the YouTube video.

BYW, you play very nicely!! I was expecting a beginner. You are more accomplished than that!!!

Thanks, nice to hear that! I truly am just a beginner though... aside from Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are, which is getting rustier by the day from not being played, what you heard is pretty much it for what I know!

Originally Posted by Saranoya
I think you should complain, TallGuy. I can't imagine it could possibly be this bad, this fast, unless it was badly tuned to begin with.

I don't think it's that... he played it before he left and it sounded fabulous.

Originally Posted by Saranoya
Also, I admire your fortitude in learning to play on an instrument that sounds *that* horrible most of the time. This alone should be enough of an argument for your wife to give you the go-ahead on getting the Hamilton from the church. Tell her it will improve *her* quality of life, too, since at least she won't have to listen to that awful-sounding piano all the time anymore.

LOL... I like the logic there. It's not my wife that needs to be convinced, it's my 9-year-old youngest daughter, the one who grows attached to cardboard boxes, names every single toy, etc.

It isn't *that* horrible though. This is what it sounded like 5 months ago before its 1st tuning:
[video:youtube]dR6gezYWBXs[/video]

BTW... my daughter learned to play on this for two years and it never seemed to bug her. Appeals to musical rationality (or any other form of rationality) are ineffective with her. smile

Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
That is pretty bad!
The accepted wisdom is that a spinet holds tuning less well than a full-size upright. This may be because of the inherent design. Or it may be because spinets tend to cater for the market that wants cheap and small rather than good. The only quality spinets I've come across were made by Challen - the BBC had a lot of them in their London studios.
But that's not acceptable, just after a tuning. If the piano wouldn't "hold" to that degree, the tuner should have said so and recommended you not to waste your money.

Thanks... this is the sort of feedback I was looking for. Having come from the place in the video above, it's hard to be objective. I don't know if I'm being too picky, expecting too much, or what.

Originally Posted by Whizbang
It's really octave 4 that's gone completely sour. Octave 5 is reasonable to my imperfect ear, but when you have to play in both octaves the result is unpleasant. The pop music definitely is more accepting of an out-of-whack piano.

It may not be so much that the piano is a spinet, but that the piano wasn't in the best of shape to begin with. If it hadn't been tuned in a long time, then when the tuner brings it into line, the strings will stretch some and bring it back out of tune quickly, requiring another visit.

I've discussed this with him rather extensively, particularly around getting it back up to concert pitch. I'd like to get it there, but not at the expense of having it sound horrendous in the interim. He says that he's going to move it very slowly -- for my ears' sake, and to avoid breaking any strings. It's not helping my ears though. smile

If the piano has recently changed physical environments, then differing humidity and temperature may require that the piano settle in a while.

There's a saying here in New England: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute. It will change."

(Alternatively, there could be a more substantial physical problem.)

To the extent the piano's form factor is posing a problem it's going to be around the quality of the tone and a hard-to-control, hard-to-service action. Those problems are going to be inherent to the piano regardless of what your tech does.

If you've only just had your piano tuned, I'd ask the tuner to come back in and bring it back in line.

Will do, although I'm not expecting it to stick this time either... and I don't think it's his fault. He's been doing this for a while, so I don't think it's that he is incompetent, by any stretch.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Very cute TallGuy! Wow...3 years! I noticed last year but missed it this year. I'm so glad that there are so many regulars, and that there are always new comers, who drop in to share their experiences here!

Thanks to all our contributors!!!!!!!!!!

(btw there are NO pics of me on PW, barring videos which show my hands).

I'm about two hours early, but I can't stay up that late for the occasion, so...

Happy 3rd Birthday to AOTW!
[Linked Image]

Mom must be very proud... I know there are pics of her on PW somewhere, can't seem to find one right now though.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
And here I am, catching up while drinking my morning coffee.

Manyhands, I'm not familiar with either of your pieces, but I do know that it isn't easy to get used to working with a metronome! Good for you!

Jim, you're welcome smile

Saranoya: Missing a lesson is always disappointing, missing it because you've had a seizure needs another modifier I think. I had to look up the 2nd Movement as I have never, to my knowledge, heard it before. I'm listening as I type. It sounds like it would be fun to play!
The Burgmuller Op100N15 is a meaty dramatic piece isn't it? How are you doing with your Grieg pieces? I'm in love with mine smile

FarmGirl - you make me laugh. You should record yourself while you practice and thenlisten to what you are saying! lol. There are quite a few PW folks going to the SummerKey camp, aren't there? I think that would be so much fun!

TallGuy - sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting your spinnet tuned properly. That's very frustrating. I'm glad you got a good take of your piece for the recital though! It will be fun to listen to your piece. What's the name of the first piece you played in your sample clip (not the octave plinking, but after that smile I really liked it! )

Warlock 214: Good for you - being able to recover from a flub or lapse is really important - Glad to hear you had fun and this was a good experience for you!

Sideshow: congrats on the trills. I'm just wondering though.... I don't think it is "written in stone" that you have to use particular fingers for your trills - I believe (could be wrong though) that it depends on the general fingering for the specific part of the piece that has the trills and you can in fact be called up on to do trills with any combo...?

Ataru74: wow, you're flying now! How exciting!

IreneAdler: Now that is a major achievement. I've had some positive experiences going back to a previous piece, but nothing that compares to what you've described. What tremendous satisfaction you must be feeling!

Marybee: loved the video - those guys were great! I was laughing out loud a couple of times. Your three AoTWs are great ones - (unfortunately in my piece the pauses actually ARE longer than they should be and I think glaringly obvious.. maybe those who don't know the piece will think they qualify as dramatic effect ....:) )
Trusting we can actually play what we've been working on is greatly influenced by the pressure of the red dot or an audience, don't you think?...and relaxing...ah yes, well "knowing" something and "believing it, doing it" are different, aren't they? Good for you for getting it sorted out and put into practice!

I don't think I've got anything new - just cruising along making general bits of progress on my current pieces and loving them.
I'm delighted with how quickly the Sicilienne is coming along - and I was really surprised to hear Mr. Casinitaly humming it as we did the dishes the other night. Before I started piano he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Since I've been playing I have noticed his ability to hum what I'm working on has improved vastly - quite an interesting phenomenon.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by SideShow
I'm thrilled about the fact that I finally found a way to do some trilling, which is not with finger 2 + 3 (I tried for years) but with fingers 1 + 3

Practice trilling with 4 and 5. 2 and 3 will feel so easy in comparison!

Seriously - you need to be able to trill with any fingers. Hint - trills aren't always fast. Particularly when you start practicing them.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AOTW
wow, has it really been three years?

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Warlock - Great job on your first rectal. Don't forget to grab one of those piano icons for your sig line. thumb

Farmgirl- please stop cursing while you are f#&@$ing up!! grin

Funny that trills should come up now... this week my assigned exercise is Hannon #46 The Trill - two pages of nothing but trills, all fingers,both hands. Guess that will be my AOTW because it has given my 4-5 quite a workout.

oh, and thanks again everyone for your kind birthday wishes in the past few days.

Last edited by JimF; 05/12/13 08:43 AM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
W
JimF - Thank you. Where do I find the piano icons?

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryBee - Have fun with Raindrop! It is on my wish list, but probably not this year.

Manyhands - Working with a metronome is not an easy skill to learn, but it really pays off. Sounds like you are using it well!

Saranoya - You will get Moonlight Movement #2 to come together. Somethings look easier than they are, but your perseverance will pay off. Sorry to here about a seizure pre-empting your lesson. It takes a lot of strength to live with the ups and downs of a chronic disease, and you seem to stay very up beat and positive.

FarmGirl - You made me laugh. Your teacher sounds like a slave driver! She sees your potential, and won't let you off easy. I am sure you will do great at Summer Keys.

aTallGuyNH - Sorry to hear your piano is sick. Hopefully your tuner will make it right for you.

Warlock - Congratulations on your first recital. Recovering from a troubled start is really an accomplishment!

Sideshow - I have one piece that I have a long 1-3 trill, and it took a lot of work. I am surprised that it works better than 2-3 for you. Congrats for finding a trill that works well!

AtaruO74 - It sounds like you have found a great teacher who takes and interest in your progress.

IreneAdler - That is great that you discovered you could play Bach Prelude 1 better than ever, and really put yourself into it and make music. Congrats.

MaryBee - I like the thought "just trust yourself and play". I am still working on that one, but I think it is the key to the red dot or performing!

Casinitaly - Sicilienne is such a pretty piece. That is really neat that your husband was humming it. It means he is appreciating your playing!

My AOTW is working through both of my Grieg pieces. The 3's against 4's are going surprisingly well. I guess all the polyrhythms in the Arabesque and Liszt Consolation #3 are paying off.

The second AOTW is recognizing how valuable hand separate practice is, even after putting hands together, especially with pieces with polyrhythms. Once I have the notes down HT at slow tempo, I have started bringing each hand up to tempo HS. Then when I put it HT it automatically flows better at a faster tempo.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yes, Happy Birthday AOTW. I don't post often, but I read them all - Thread of the Year!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congrats on the recitals, Warlock and Malkin. Happy birthday to JimF and to AOTW. Cheers everyone.

Week 61: Highlight of my week is attending a concert by Christopher Goodpasture. As one person said when walking out, "he is a helluva pianist," and has the contest wins, awards and resume to match that statement. Holy cow! I also watch a bio of Jake Shimabukuro, the ukulele virtuoso on TV.

I record many takes of my recital piece, Canon in D. I decide to record over the course of several days and then listen to all the takes and pick the best one. It seems unlikely that any of them will be perfect, so this kind of process gets me something, without the frustration of wanting a perfect take, and falling short time after time. I started on Canon in D around week 46 so it is 15 weeks working on my level one arrangement. My upload is at position 45.

I continue working on My Favorite Things. My simple arrangement is starting to feel like music, though there are still some hesitations. After four months of owning my Casio PX-150 I finally took the time to figure out how to set the tempo and volume on the built in metronome. Someone on Youtube suggested doing scales at 60 bpm, slow and loud, so I am trying some of that.

Page 226 of 540 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission