2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Hello. New to the forum and pianos. In fact, I only know what I have read in the forum threads during the last month. My goal is to learn to play the piano for personal enjoyment.

Recently, I purchased a slightly used Kawai MP8 and also a slightly used pair of Behringer Truth 2031a monitors (used twice, according to the seller). Both objects demo'd well and looked new, so I'm optimistic about their lasting a while. I need connecting cables, however, and was hoping that forum members would recommend types of cable (and adapters if necessary). I am also looking for adjustable speaker stands. From what I've read in the threads, the adjustable metal variety of monitor floor stand might offer more flexibility, so I thought I would look into them, as opposed to the installable wall shelf variety. But I am inexperienced, and will listen to recommendations.

The system will be in a small room (square, approx. 225 sq.ft.). I plan on configuring the triangle of monitors, keyboard and myself, as illustrated in the Kawai documentation. The monitors (approximately 30 lbs. each) appear to be set right at the rear corners of the keyboard, with their faces angled equally toward the player at ear level. I will position the triangle configuration in the middle of the room. I suspect, given the Kawai diagram, that only a short length of monitor cable is necessary, but no length is explicitly stated. Eventually, I would like to add a subwoofer, but I want to wait on that, for the moment.

I live somewhat remotely, and usually have to order stuff online, which precludes my directly demo-ing or directly shopping around, so the more info, with respect to monitor stand and cable brands and models, the better.

Regards,

Steve

T
T
Hi Steve,

I ordered a laptop stand from Sam Ash Direct website. It worked well for my Skype piano lessons and was reasonably priced. This site also has speaker stands.

http://www.samash.com/p/Quik-Lok_LPH001%20Tripod%20Laptop%20Stand_-49946672

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
F
F
I have these stands for my MR-8 Monitors
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=248&sName=BS-336

My speaker cables have 3m length and are like these
http://www.dv247.com/cables/dcs-pro-2x-pro-xlr-to-balanced-cable-5m--53961

You have to check the connectors in your piano and speakers before purchase the cable. Also check if you can use balanced cables.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
You have a couple of options. Looks like both gear has 1/4" and XLR inputs/outputs. You'll need 2 (Left and Right). Personally, I think your best bet would be XLR (microphone cable) since they can be run at any length with minimal noise. Second option would be a balanced 1/4" cable (will have 2 rings on the end). Third option would be a regular instrument cable (1 ring), which shouldn't get too noisy run in short distances.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get speaker cables. This type of cable is designed to carry a POWERED signal from an amplifier. Since it carries power, it can't be shielded, which is a metal wrapping around the cable that prevents noise from radio waves and other interference to get into the signal. You'll definitely want a shielded cable.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks, Virginia, Fliper, and Brian for your replies.
I Checked out all the above recommendations--and then some. I bought a used pair of Ultimate Support MS36-B2 monitor stands and also a set of Auralex isolation pads. Later I found out that the monitor stand's top plate has a rubber mat, which is supposed to resist vibrations. I guess I'll find out if the noise isolation pads are necessary.
I'm about to order two 12-foot xlr microphone cables, and I'm done unless someone can think of something I've left out.
If anyone has any helpful hints with respect to learning on a digital piano, please let me know.
Again, thanks to everyone for contributing.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission