Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
114 registered (Anita Potter, Anne'sson, Alkanaut, accordeur, A Guy, 27 invisible), 1453 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 17 of 20 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#2060390 - 04/06/13 01:47 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
excellent gandalf, I would invest in some rechargable aa's and a charger for same, it will pay for itself in the long run.

I was considering the zoom today as my canon fs100 just nearly died, well nearly its developed a strange problem and it doesnt do music well at all, in fact there are no settings for the audio that can be changed in any way.

Here is the weird canon problem that had to develop just now when I need it.

I plugged the charger in: no charge light on canon showed.
It also would not switch on.
I bought a new charger: no difference.

I need the mains charger to be plugged in to download or it doesnt do it.

So, I got a standalone battery charger and a card reader.

I now have to take the battery out to charge it, and then the std card out to plug it into a card reader to download it.

Not exactly satisfactory but a workable workaround for the problem it has mysteriously developed.

I was told the zooms are excellent and from members recordings here, they seem like the optimum choice for the money.

please let me know how you get on with it and how you find the audio settings if you get time.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2061462 - 04/08/13 07:43 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Right okay dokey folks, I know that you all have , and all will probably be practicing up untill the last minute, ( I am so looking forward to my pm,s on the twentieoneth of April !!)

Seriously though, about the twentieoneth of april, if you can avoid leaving it to the very last minute, then please do.

Anyways, this is about something else that i would like your views and opinions/reasonable suggestions/sane ideas on.

There are forty eight songs without words, each opus has six, and six X eight = forty eight when I went to school.

However, if we say on average that each piece is 3 to 4 min long, then 48x 3 min would be one hundred and forty four mins long OR 2 hours twenty four mins in total.

If my maths is correct.

Now then, I thought and thought about the different ways of posting the recital up, and I COULD do it all in one go, so anyone could go and listen to 2 hours 24 mins of total mendelssohn.

However, that seems a tad hasty in the old "total" bit of "total mendelssohn" for 2hrs24.

So, alternatives where thought about and even oddball ones like "draw out of a hat" to decide the order of play.

But, the best Idea so far has been : do it by the book itself, by opus and opus no.

So, ( again) 6 in each opus, 8X6 = 48,

Therefore I wish to post them up as follows, 6 per day over the course of eight days, in opus no, as they appear in the book, devoid of any favouritism or anything else unruly.

As far as I can see, ( even with me glasses) that will give us time to take in and absorb each set of six with another six tommorrow and the next day for eight days to look forward to.

This would seem to logistically make sense and also not overdose us completely in one big go, it would be in effect "mendelssohn recital week" Except of course for it being a bit longer than a week, Okay then typical of us and RST; "Mendelssohn recital week and an bit"

Unless, the consensus is to post the whole recital up in one big two hr twentyfour minute chunk?

which i could do if enough folk tried to convince me to do with most excellent reasoning and logic of course.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2061476 - 04/08/13 08:10 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Ahmn when is it due? Is it 15th or 21st ? I'm not kidding you I just got confused.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2061488 - 04/08/13 08:39 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I believe that would be the twenty first of april.
How is yours going?

#2061661 - 04/09/13 02:33 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
As one who plans to listen, I rather like the idea of having small packages to manage rather than one big one.

It is a lot of listening and I think I'd be more inclined to savour the smaller batches. With a bigger batch I'd feel pressured to "get through them all".

#2061698 - 04/09/13 04:53 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: Rostosky

Therefore I wish to post them up as follows, 6 per day over the course of eight days, in opus no, as they appear in the book, devoid of any favouritism or anything else unruly.

- good idea! thumb

#2061707 - 04/09/13 05:35 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: dire tonic]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Rostosky - whatever makes it easiest for you is great. Posting them a few at a time is fine.

Sam

#2061726 - 04/09/13 06:35 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Fine by me smile

#2061735 - 04/09/13 07:12 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Sounds like a good idea to post in sections.

Love to learn

#2061770 - 04/09/13 09:20 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Valencia Offline

Thank you Ganddalf and dire tonic for your generous offer to pick up LimeFriday's recital pieces!!! She is extremely relieved that you've offered to play them so the pieces won't be missing from the recital. smile

#2061852 - 04/09/13 11:51 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think the Opus 102's got it lucky as they'll have an extra 7 days to get theirs to you. :P But I do like the idea of one opus per day.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2061901 - 04/09/13 12:53 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Right okay dokey ...
alternatives where thought about and even oddball ones like "draw out of a hat" to decide the order of play.

But, the best Idea so far has been : do it by the book itself, by opus and opus no.
I wish to post them up as follows, 6 per day over the course of eight days, in opus no, as they appear in the book, devoid of any favouritism or anything else unruly.

In favour of opus book at a time, but would also suggest a random book order play list at the discretion of administration. So as to avoid ...

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I think the Opus 102's got it lucky as they'll have an extra 7 days to get theirs to you. :P But I do like the idea of one opus per day.

#2061938 - 04/09/13 01:41 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd prefer the correct order, but will go along with the consensus smile

#2062048 - 04/09/13 04:39 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I like the idea of so many a day. It would be best to have a logical order.

Start in reverse order . . .

Edited by peterws (04/09/13 04:39 PM)

""

#2062060 - 04/09/13 04:58 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Nobody gets an "extra seven days!!" ALL submissions are due in by and including the 21st april. just to make that clear!!

Okay so far we are for: in opus number, by the book six per day.

#2062402 - 04/10/13 02:00 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rupak has "checked in" smile

#2062416 - 04/10/13 02:48 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs

Great!

My website

#2062462 - 04/10/13 05:00 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Recaredo]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Recaredo
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs

Great!

excellent, ( bout time rupak!)

#2062464 - 04/10/13 05:03 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ragnhildk and devrie have yet to get back to Wayne or I by either PM or here please.

#2062477 - 04/10/13 05:26 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
I just want to say that I am very impressed by this project and I look forward to listen to your performances!!

#2062493 - 04/10/13 05:52 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thnx Amaruk, still to record mine lol, Rossy, Ragnhildk and devrie can be found on page 4 and 5 of this thread, if you wanna give them a pm, (or if anyone wants to, as Rossy is, probabily as busy as me lol) Looking forward to it folks x

#2062790 - 04/11/13 08:21 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I believe that would be the twenty first of april.
How is yours going?

It's nice to know that it's not 15th as I was traveling this week. It's not fluent yet but I will deliver on time.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2062833 - 04/11/13 10:02 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
It's amazing how many strange things may happen as soon as the recorder is running. I regret that I didn't start recording the pieces for this recital already a long time ago. Firstly because this gives me the opportunity to spot the points with the greatest improvement potential and secondly because this would help getting rid of some of the "red dot anxiety".

I have recorded my four pieces now, and learnt a few lessons. Most important perhaps is the fact that the simpler pieces are just as difficult to make good recordings of as the harder pieces. Maybe the simple truth is that there is no such thing as a simple piano piece.

It is tempting as soon as a recording has been made to put the piece aside. In this case I plan not to do that. I'm convinced that there is still potential for improvement, and it can be quite interesting to see what can be done with the weak points with some additional practice time.

When I started making the first test recordings a week ago I needed the sheet music for all except the most difficult piece. During the recordings, however, I repeated the pieces so many times that now I need the sheet music only for the simplest one. This is a very great advantage, especially if you have to turn the leaf.

Many times during the recording process I had a strong feeling of incompetence and was quite frustrated. I consider the end result as "acceptable", but not more than that. Anyhow this is an amateur recital, and we should not use professional artistic level as a reference. Also it is not a competition, but sharing music that we enjoy working with.

#2062923 - 04/11/13 01:36 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Ganddalf]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"It is tempting as soon as a recording has been made to put the piece aside. In this case I plan not to do that. I'm convinced that there is still potential for improvement, and it can be quite interesting to see what can be done with the weak points with some additional practice time"

You`re dead right man! I do that quite a lot. It doesn`t make for a big repertoire quickly, does it?

""

#2063535 - 04/12/13 03:01 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I contacted RagnhildK who is responsible for Op.19/2, and helped her with the recording of the piece. I'll take the responsibility of handling her music file. In other words, you can consider her contribution as checked in and it will be available on time.

#2063540 - 04/12/13 03:06 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

well done ganddalf thank you so much, both wayne and I tried unsuccessfully to contact her via PM. result!
looking good, devrie, wherefore art thou?

#2063866 - 04/13/13 04:50 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
ragnhildK Offline

I'm sorry that I have not been posting for a while, leaving some uncertainty about my participating in the Mendelssohn recital. Since my piano is seriously out of tune, I was very grateful to Ganddalf for giving me the chance to use his piano and his Zoom.
My opus 19/2 has lots of things that can be improved, but at this point this is the best I can do.
I'm really looking forward to hearing the complete recital :-)

#2063890 - 04/13/13 07:43 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

When the songs are posted (in digestable chunks) can you leave the previous ones on and just . . .add to them? Otherwise I may not be able to hear the first day or so, I`ll be away!

""

#2063961 - 04/13/13 11:01 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: peterws]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
When the songs are posted (in digestable chunks) can you leave the previous ones on and just . . .add to them? Otherwise I may not be able to hear the first day or so, I`ll be away!

Yes absolutely this is how i intended to do it:

day one first six opus numbers ( as printed in the book)
Day two will have the second six opus numbers,(plus the six from the day before and so on) etc etc.

They will be up FOREVER! well as long as PW exists as a forum, and I suppose that will depend on many things such as North Korea/USA/China/Russia not creating an imminent apocalypse
say for example.
( or margeret thatcher not returning from the grave as a zombie and stopping fun altogether as she tried to in life)

Edited by Rostosky (04/13/13 11:02 AM)

#2063968 - 04/13/13 11:08 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

" or margeret thatcher not returning from the grave as a zombie and stopping fun altogether as she tried to in life)"

You know how to stir it . . . . Boadicea reincarnated! A man`s gotta do what a man`s gotta do. She did it.

""

Page 17 of 20 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
45 minutes 25 seconds ago
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
Today at 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
Today at 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
Today at 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
Today at 07:15 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160003 Topics
2349640 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission