2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi guys.I need some help here, to obtain a good non-legato touch, especially during fast passages.I can easily obatain legato or staccato, but when it comes to non-legato, I get completly lost.
Let me give you an example of what I am talking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HZRB-x5LNgw

When I try to play using a touch like this, it simply doesn't come out!It seems strict legato or staccato ech give me a specific feeling, which helps archiving what i want.Problem is this simply doesn't happen with non-legato!
Could you guys give me some orientation on playing with a non-legato touch, similar to the video I posted?
Thanks a lot

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
First of all, practice without pedal!

I read somewhere the recommendation of practicing passages by holding the chord that you are playing silently and lifting your fingers when you need to. That is, practice the release rather than the attack. It will not sound right, but you will learn the technique.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Here is a link to the file that the OP indicated in his post : Bach Prelude No 6 in D minor, BWV875

Bach Prelude BWV875

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To master articulation play like Gould! cursing

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
D
OP Offline
D
Well could anyone give me a more objective answer?Please guys, I really need help!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Daniel Brag
Well could anyone give me a more objective answer?Please guys, I really need help!
Did you not find BDB's reply helpful?

Du holde Kunst...
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You can always "cheat" by playing staccato with your foot resting very lightly on the damper pedal.

Otherwise, there really is only one solution: slow practice until you get a feel for how long you want to hold the note. Try practicing with something simple, like a five-note scale or a C-major scale. Just get the feeling under your fingers, then go back to the piece.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Daniel Brag

If you can't get the sound you're looking for, intuitively, you'll have to work at getting it, I guess, but there's no great secret.

Presumably, you know how to play legato and you know how to play staccato. What you are aiming at is somewhere - and the somewhere is your choice - in between. Try a simple five-finger exercise, very slowly, clearly imagining the sound you want to produce and then keep working at it until you get the sound and you have the "feel" that produced that sound.

I don't know how to verbalize what "mechanics" you have to employ to get what you're after, because I really don't think there's any great mystery about producing variances of touch. Simply stated, you don't hold the note as long as you would to obtain a legato sound, but you hold it longer than you would to produce a staccato sound.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
I
Finger tapping! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_tapping_%28piano%29

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you very much Bruce.I will take your advice.And BDB's aswell.Also, I will take a look at this finger tapping.

Last edited by Daniel Brag; 12/07/12 10:40 AM.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Daniel, and welcome to the forum.

I think that the formulation "non-legato" in itself poses a difficulty. It says only what you don't want to play, and the problem isn't what you don't want but what you do want, what the composer wants.

Portato or porté. Tenuto. These words express something.

Playing the piano has two essential sides to it: knowing what kind of sound you want to produce or is the right one, being able to physically produce that sound. I would not be able to produce what Gould is doing for more than three seconds because my hand would cramp up. I have a teacher for the first time and we're sorting out basic things that I have been doing and replacing it with other things. Without seeing the OP play and knowing what he has tried, can advice really be given?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Derulux
You can always "cheat" by playing staccato with your foot resting very lightly on the damper pedal.

Hi. This isn't cheating at all, it is simply a gross misunderstanding. It has nothing to do whatsoever with tenuto or portato or stacatto or anything "non-legato". Legato and non-legato concern exclusively the use of the hands.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by Derulux

Hi. This isn't cheating at all, it is simply a gross misunderstanding. It has nothing to do whatsoever with tenuto or portato or stacatto or anything "non-legato". Legato and non-legato concern exclusively the use of the hands.

While that can be agreed upon, I am a believer that the method of sound production is less important than they type of sound produced. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
No.
No!
No no no no! Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon ...

NO!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
+1

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by landorrano
No.
No!
No no no no! Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon ...

NO!

Care to explain or just whine? (sarcasm) wink

D
OP Offline
D
Could someone give me some examples of non-legato touch?It would really help me.Thanks a lot,

Daniel

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
OP, this great recent blog post by established pedagogue Graham Fitch might be of use: http://practisingthepiano.com/?p=2073

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks a lot.As far as I understood, portato should be played by distinct arm motions , but not deliberately aiming at separating the notes.Is that right?Also, should my fingers stick to the keys all the time?I still seem not to be quite exacly getting to this baroque/classical non-legato sound.I don't know what is wrong,maybe I don't even know what am I looking for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission