2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hello PW,

I have finished my first semester of community college private lessons after trying to go solo for a year. Today was my 'final exam': a jury in front of 3 falculty members where I played 2 peices from memory. My pieces were Schytte 'The Harp' from Snell Rep book 1 and "Waltz, Op 39, No. 13" by Kabalevsky in Snell Rep Book 2. The pieces were preceeded by A minor and D minor scales in 2 octaves, respectively. I fumbled one measure in the Harp pieces (2nd to last) but recovered nicely. My marks were excellent saying I "was making music", "smooth, lovely line" and "thumbs is easy" I guess in reference to my "sclaes - good". I am glad that is over!
Looking forward to my second semester starting in January. I feel like now the teacher has caught me up to where I thought I was in August. Not bad for self-teaching.
I hope to have a contribution to the Christmas thread next weekend when I record my performance at our family recital where I will perform these two pieces as well as Prelude in C, Bach and O Holy Night. My husband will play guitar and my two sons playing piano as well. Bonus, oldest and I will play a violin duet. (I also took violin lessons at the college - brand new beginner, there! That recital was a few weeks ago for my performance grade - didn't go as well as piano today smile
Thanks for letting me toot my own horn smile

Adult Beginner starting August 2011.
Self taught 1 year, College 1 year, private lessons currently
Completed: Snell Rep Series Preparatory, 1, 2, 3, Alfred AIO Book 1.
Working on: Snell Rep Series 4: Clementi Sonatina Op. 36. No. 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Congratulations, nancyzpiano! What kinds of skills has your teacher been working on with you? Do you feel that you're a better player than you were in August? Or does it feel like it's all been review, and now you're ready to start real learning next semester?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Congratulations, nancyzpiano! What kinds of skills has your teacher been working on with you? Do you feel that you're a better player than you were in August? Or does it feel like it's all been review, and now you're ready to start real learning next semester?

It has been a little of both but I have learned more during the second half of the semester. The first half was covering the Alfred all in One adult book which was easy for the first half - could sight read most of it and covering scales I already knew. Then the last month or so really worked hard on new scales up to four octaves (only did 2 before) and learned ALOT about how to play a waltz - details I would have be ignorant of as a self-teacher (at least in my case). Hopefully next semester we break away from Alfred and do more Snell rep (classical, baroque, modern and romantic) which is where I want to go. I'll still learn chords, but I don't want all my music being chord accompaniments, kwim? Thanks for reading and responding.

ETA - she also has me working on handshaping, too. Again , stuff I would have overlooked in self teaching - though a video camera does wonders smile

Last edited by nancyzpiano; 12/06/12 07:34 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancyzpiano
Thanks for letting me toot my own horn smile

Toot!

It's nice to hear your progress and struggles. And hear the printed remarks of "sclaes - good" and "thumbs is easy"! laugh

Go Nancy! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Congratulations! I'm sure you've said it in one of your other posts, but I wonder where you live. California is in such a depressing state, private lessons are being all but removed at the community college level, even for music majors. I envy you!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go Nancy! I really wish they offered the same type of courses here. I also envy you! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for all the congrats!

I live in North Texas and attend Tarrant County Community College (Fort Worth - a bit over 30 minutes away). We have weathered the recession pretty well in this area with stable home values so that equates to tax revenue enough to subsidize my musical endeavors. Next semester the non-music majors will have lessons only for 8 weeks because they are gutting the music building and upgrading the 1970s equipment, etc. We are blessed.

Last edited by nancyzpiano; 12/07/12 10:41 AM.

N
OP Offline
N
Oh, I forgot to add that I played on a $50,000 Steinway grand piano for my jury. That sounded divine compared to my busted up old Yamaha upright, lol.

Last edited by nancyzpiano; 12/07/12 10:48 AM.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Hi nancyzpiano, I do know what you mean about not wanting to just do chord accompaniments Alfred-style. I find the chord accompanying I covered in Alfred I to be really useful in terms of making basic chord shapes feel really automatic in my hand (plus I had some technique books that gave me a TON more really useful practice in the three basic inversion shapes, in all keys), but I didn't want to keep playing just that style so I didn't continue into Alfred II.

Playing on the Steinway sounds wonderful! What a great opportunity.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission