Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1995715 - 12/07/12 12:34 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: Entheo]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: Entheo
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
You cannot use music for a Rachmaninoff sonata... you kind of need to be looking at your hands... hahaha

richter did.

you don't have to look at the music the whole time.

Yeah. He's Richter. He can do anything.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1995746 - 12/07/12 02:53 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: BruceD]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: ando
[...]some ultra-urtext transcription [...]

"... urtext transcription..."? Isn't that an oxymoron?

It was meant as a joke. But what I meant was it might be a transcription that predates the published version. An early pre-published version.

#1995845 - 12/07/12 08:43 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: im@me
I recently played a Mozart sonata by memory, and half way through the last movement my mind went blank, so I improvised all of the recapitulation, and no one noticed laugh

That may say as much about your audience's level of musical knowledge and sophistication as it does about your improvisatory skills.

Not only knowledge and sophistication, but the amount of attention they were paying, too.

Back in the days when I did live performances, it always annoyed me a little when people would dismiss errors I made by saying that "nobody even noticed". Well, if they didn't notice, were they really listening? And if they weren't, what would be the point of playing?

#1995860 - 12/07/12 09:14 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: Pogorelich.]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
Just look at it as a sign that you're a human being. smile In a way, that's what makes live performance exciting: you never know what's going to happen. You're not a machine.

My only comparable experience on the piano is when I try to play for my in-laws at their house after a holiday dinner. I ALWAYS totally bomb, whether I use music or not, even though the next day I can play the piece note perfect at home. It's probably a combination of their not-great piano, a too-low bench, and having imbibed a couple of glasses of wine in the preceding couple of hours.

Check out my blog !

#1996171 - 12/07/12 10:26 PM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: Pogorelich.]
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I chickened out of my piano performance major because my nerves (and self confidence?) were too frail. THis was 30+ years ago To this day, when I'm under pressure, my nerves just go bonkers and cause my fingers to turn to jello. I can play in front of hundreds of people in church when I know no one is really listening to me with no problem, but when I'm doing solo piano or am in a chamber group where I feel I'll let people down if I goof up, I have the most ridiculous bouts of nerves. I have started wondering about beta blockers. A friend of mine from Apple Hill Chamber Music Camp (a physician) has talked to me about how he has used them therapeutically with people to help them feel what it's like to be completely free of the extrinsic sorts of static that can cause memory blocks so as to let one know what it feels and from there work to understand how those outside pressures work and eventually overcome them. I'm very tempted to try it.

#1996306 - 12/08/12 09:10 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: wr]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: wr
Back in the days when I did live performances, it always annoyed me a little when people would dismiss errors I made by saying that "nobody even noticed". Well, if they didn't notice, were they really listening? And if they weren't, what would be the point of playing?

but therein lies the rub IMHO; we put all of this undue pressure on ourselves believing that the audience knows (or should know) every score by heart, when in fact, unless it's a jury or an audition, they are simply there to enjoy the music (and themselves). what's noticeable to audiences in general is not the lack of note perfect but the big collapses -- no music degree required to recognize those.

so if you're skilled enough to play thru the lapse or you use the sheet music as an aid, there's no shame in either of them, as long as the spirit of the music shines thru. IMHO.

#1996327 - 12/08/12 09:39 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: Pogorelich.]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
People listen to music in different ways. It doesn't mean they're not paying attention. Also, sometimes they do notice, but they just don't care, because they realise that live performances are rarely perfect.

Edited by debrucey (12/08/12 09:40 AM)

#1996334 - 12/08/12 10:03 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: BruceD]
im@me Offline

it was on a recent piano course with various good pianists 2 of them concert pianists. And are Estonia pianos widely regarded as good pianos?

#1996349 - 12/08/12 10:29 AM Re: how to get over traumatic memory slip experience [Re: debrucey]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: debrucey
People listen to music in different ways. It doesn't mean they're not paying attention. Also, sometimes they do notice, but they just don't care, because they realise that live performances are rarely perfect.

AND they're grateful that it is YOU up on the stage sweating bullets and not THEM !!! grin

Edited by carey (12/08/12 10:34 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, Austin D, 20 invisible), 1297 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75473 Members
42 Forums
156050 Topics
2291478 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
Fugue in b Minor
by Ritzycat
Yesterday at 05:34 PM
Missing Pedal rods for Bramburg (1890-ish?)
by Paul678
Yesterday at 04:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission