Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1995787 - 12/07/12 06:16 AM A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone?
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There are very few contemporary piano concertos that are heard or performed these days, even though many of them are very accessible (as in 'melodious'....). In fact, the most recent piano concerto that I ever hear regularly is Barber's, and that is 50 years old and in a post-Romantic idiom (and his Violin Concerto is performed far more widely, even so).

So, how about contemporary concertos that are truly contemporary, by living composers, and in a recognizably contemporary idiom but still 'accessible' even to those of us who think that piano concertos ended with Rach/Pag (or, at a pinch, with Bartok's 3rd....)?

There's Einojuhani Rautavaara's, which have been recorded (including by Ashkenazy), but I nominate a concerto by one of his pupils, Kimmo Hakola, instead, because it sounds truly modern, even from the start (ethereal high-lying violins over growling contra-bassoons), and its language is quite unlike that of any other piano concerto, encompassing not just Nordic gloom but also klezma, jazz, folk, Rachmaninoff-like romanticism and melodic & harmonic invention, Bartokian-like abrasiveness as well as moments of sheer beauty within its nine movements (one of which is a Cadenza for solo piano) and close to an hour. There's a great recording of it by Henri Sigfridsson.

My other nomination is André Previn's Piano Concerto, written for Vladimir Ashkenazy (who also recorded it with Previn). Apparently, the composer had said it's too difficult for him to play, because it was written with Ashkenazy's techical prowess in mind. And Ashkenazy wanted 'tunes', which he duly got, especially in the slow movement. He also got a bit of jazz too, and Previn has thrown in a bit of 'Russianness' into the mix. What a pity it's not been taken up by other pianists since (as far as I know), as it's not just entertaining and tuneful but also beautiful in places, just like Hakola's in his very different manner.

So, do you know a piano concerto by a living composer that you feel is unjustly neglected even though it's 'accessible'?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1995789 - 12/07/12 06:20 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I like the Peter Sculthorpe piano concerto. There are also some great ones by Schnittke. Mind you, I'm not that fussed about the music I listen to being 'accessible'.

#1995790 - 12/07/12 06:24 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: debrucey]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
I like the Peter Sculthorpe piano concerto. There are also some great ones by Schnittke. Mind you, I'm not that fussed about the music I listen to being 'accessible'.

I haven't heard Sculthorpe's concerto yet but his other music certainly sounds wonderful (with or without didgeridoo....). Incidentally, while we're Down Under, Carl Vine's Piano Concerto was recently performed by Piers Lane - hopefully a recording will come out eventually.

#1995797 - 12/07/12 06:52 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Krzysztof Penderecki piano concerto is remarkable, you shold look at this.

Edited by kapelli (12/07/12 06:53 AM)

#1995798 - 12/07/12 06:58 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: kapelli]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kapelli
Krzysztof Penderecki piano concerto is remarkable, you shold look at this.

Thanks, I will. Which Polish pianist(s) has played it?

#1995838 - 12/07/12 08:28 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Lang Lang playing Nigel Hess's Queen Mother concerto sets the bar for "accessible".

#1995840 - 12/07/12 08:31 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: wr]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr
Lang Lang playing Nigel Hess's Queen Mother concerto sets the bar for "accessible".

It reflects the tastes of the Royal Family, which means 'no dissonances' (unless it's rock music..... grin).

#1995924 - 12/07/12 11:45 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
He isn't alive, but Lutoslawski's Piano Concerto (1987) is a masterpiece. It was written for Krystian Zimerman.

#1995999 - 12/07/12 02:10 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

Lol, I just listened to Rautavaara's 3rd piano concerto (which is also written for Ashkenazy) and then I read this. I really like Rautavaara's neo-romantic style. I think his music has just the right amount of modernism in it.

Kapustin has composed at least one piano concerto, hasn't he?

Olli Mustonen composed his first symphony in 2011 and is composing a second one. Maybe a piano concerto is coming soon?

Edit: There's a Fantasy for piano and string orchestra by Mustonen.

Edited by Verbum mirabilis (12/08/12 04:09 AM)
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

#1996010 - 12/07/12 02:39 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: jeffreyjones]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
He isn't alive, but Lutoslawski's Piano Concerto (1987) is a masterpiece. It was written for Krystian Zimerman.
A damn fine work, and one of my personal favorites.

I do wonder if most listeners would think of it as "accessible", given that many consider Bartok's first two piano concerti to be "difficult" to listen to. IMHO they aren't any more challenging to listen to than Le Sacre (which most listeners take in eagerly).

While I'm at it, I think Salonen's Piano Concerto is another fine work (and, I'd like to think, quite accessible, given its visceral nature and relative consonance).

Speaking of Rautavaara, IMHO his Second Piano Concerto is miles ahead of the vapid Third. I'd even put the sometimes laughable First Piano Concerto ahead of the Third.
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#1996033 - 12/07/12 03:20 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Originally Posted By: bennevis

It reflects the tastes of the Royal Family, which means 'no dissonances' (unless it's rock music..... grin).

Is there much dissonance in rock music?

#1996265 - 12/08/12 06:06 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Janus K. Sachs]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Janus K. Sachs
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
A damn fine work, and one of my personal favorites.

I do wonder if most listeners would think of it as "accessible", given that many consider Bartok's first two piano concerti to be "difficult" to listen to. IMHO they aren't any more challenging to listen to than Le Sacre (which most listeners take in eagerly).

Reading this reminded me of when I was in my early teens (half a century ago) and experiencing a lot of great music for the first time. I loved Bartok's 2nd concerto immediately on first hearing (it was a radio broadcast), and I wanted to hear it again right away (which wasn't so easy to manage back then, where I lived). In contrast, Mozart's concertos weren't particularly accessible to me at that time, and I didn't enjoy them until much later in life.

#1996704 - 12/09/12 02:01 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: wr]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Reading this reminded me of when I was in my early teens (half a century ago) and experiencing a lot of great music for the first time. I loved Bartok's 2nd concerto immediately on first hearing (it was a radio broadcast), and I wanted to hear it again right away (which wasn't so easy to manage back then, where I lived). In contrast, Mozart's concertos weren't particularly accessible to me at that time, and I didn't enjoy them until much later in life.
My experience too (at much the same time). I was so excited to be discovering Bartok (particularly loved the sonata for 2 pianos and percussion), Stravinsky, Schoenberg - but it was a good ten years before I could really get excited about Mozart.

#1996713 - 12/09/12 02:26 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I really love Micheal Daugherty's La Tombaue De Liberace

Which is a cool piano concerto making use of Liberace's style of piano playing.

Or Liebermann's 2nd piano concerto

Edited by jdhampton924 (12/09/12 02:28 AM)

#1997016 - 12/09/12 05:16 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
mrenaud Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Ligeti. Not unknown, but a very fine piece IMHO.

Also, Takemitsu: "riverrun". This one's from his somewhat neo-impressionist late style. A beautiful piece of music, though it's just one movement at (IIRC) about 15 minutes, probably not long enough to fit the bill.

I also happen to think André Jolivet's piano concerto is very underplayed (as is most of his output, actually). The harmonic language is a very extended tonality with a generous dash of exoticism. Think of it as a modern Saint-Saens 5.

And I like the Carter concerto, though I doubt it qualifies as "accessible", whatever that means.

#1997070 - 12/09/12 07:40 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Kevin Oldham - Concerto for Piano, Op. 14 - (1991)

Succumbed to AIDs on March 11, 1993 at the age of 32. CD of the concerto is on a disc entitled "Memento Bittersweet" issued by RCA in 1994.

The concerto has received multiple performances and deserves wider recognition.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1997076 - 12/09/12 07:58 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
Gavbrown Offline

Why not try me? I am a modern composer who writes classical music in a rock idiom. A sound file and free score are available here: http://composersforum.ning.com/profiles/blogs/american-anthem

Edited by Gavbrown (12/09/12 08:08 PM)

#1997129 - 12/09/12 09:58 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
Richter Offline

Loc: Canada
Schnittke Concerto for Piano and Strings. Wonderful piece of music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGSq4Kc8GNU

#1997875 - 12/11/12 12:52 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyon [Re: bennevis]
5000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think it's one of the things (good & bad) about being a pianist that there is such a huge repertoire that noone need ever stray from the concertos of Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin; or alternatively, Brahms, Liszt, Schumann and Grieg; or alternatively Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky....and so on.

As for the ones by Henselt, Scharwenka, Anton Rubinstein, Paderewski, Moszkowski etc, only a very few entreprising pianists even bother to look at them.

Which might be why so many contemporary concertos - even really good ones - today only ever get a few hearings (often only by the pianist it was written for), and then are never heard again. Apart from the ones written for Ashkenazy that I mentioned earlier, there's Marc-André Dalbavie's (written for Leif Ove Andsnes) as well as Salonen's (written for Yefim Bronfman). Will anyone else ever play them?

Then the ones written by pianist-composers, like John Ogdon, whose marvellous concerto has been recorded by him.....and not been heard again since.

#2050947 - 03/19/13 04:02 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
Mark4424 Offline

Actually, I do know of a new accessible, melodic, modern piano concerto. Actually, I just wrote one. If you're interested, I could send you a recording.

#2050972 - 03/19/13 04:34 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Mark4424]
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, I'd be interested.

#2050982 - 03/19/13 04:54 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Mark4424]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Mark4424
Actually, I do know of a new accessible, melodic, modern piano concerto. Actually, I just wrote one. If you're interested, I could send you a recording.
I'm also interested please! If you have trouble uploading your recording somewhere, let me know via PM and I can help.

Now, I don't know how this is going to sound but I'm actually working on a piano concerto... It should be accessible to the ears, but not so much to the technicalities (damn difficult concerto...). I'm not too sure on when I'll have something more specific to share, but since my duets are doing so well and I've been posting about them for quite a while, I might as well start bugging you with the concerto as well! grin

(The Schnittke piano+strings concerto is WONDERFUL! Not too neglected, since I know there've been a few performances AND recordings available thus far, but still...)

#2051016 - 03/19/13 06:09 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I'm currently writing one as well... grin anyone who wants a score should PM me and I can send excerpts once it's finished

Polyphonist

#2051270 - 03/20/13 10:15 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
I aired Zimerman's recording of the Litosławski on my radio show this morning! My first hearing - a rather incredible work.

#2051464 - 03/20/13 04:46 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Nikolas]
Mark4424 Offline

I should be able to get my brother (the compu-wizard) to put it online tonight, or atleast by this weekend. I'll let you know.

#2051580 - 03/20/13 08:47 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Mark4424]
Mark4424 Offline

Here's my concerto. It's derived (admittedly a long way) from minimalism. I'm including an earlier (solo) piece to compare. The concerto is midi, but works surprisingly well (except at the beginning where there's that weird "pp" = "distance" effect.) Enjoy.

www.cheyennesd.net/other/other.html

#2051595 - 03/20/13 09:31 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: Mark4424]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark4424
Here's my concerto. It's derived (admittedly a long way) from minimalism. I'm including an earlier (solo) piece to compare. The concerto is midi, but works surprisingly well (except at the beginning where there's that weird "pp" = "distance" effect.) Enjoy.

www.cheyennesd.net/other/other.html

Interesting.

Polyphonist

#2051617 - 03/20/13 10:23 PM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
Fugue14 Offline

I like Esa Pekka Salonen's Concerto and Magnus Lindberg's new Concerto No.2. Both require extraordinary feats of virtuosity, though.

#2051827 - 03/21/13 09:45 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: bennevis]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Someone beat me to it, I was just about to mention Lindberg's 2nd concerto wink I was able to find the recording of the premiere through classical archives (try here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/72052.html ), and the score is available for browsing through on Booseys website. It's a VERY dense scoring - a friend of mine heard the premiere but said she couldn't hear much of Bronfman (possibly because of where she was seated, however).
Magnus is a very friendly fellow in addition. His later works (from the last 10-15 years or so) are quite different from his earlier style. He by the way recorded his own first piano concerto (under Salonen's baton), so he's indeed quite a formidable pianist himself.

#2051831 - 03/21/13 09:52 AM Re: A favorite accessible contemporary piano concerto, anyone? [Re: fnork]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fnork
Someone beat me to it, I was just about to mention Lindberg's 2nd concerto wink I was able to find the recording of the premiere through classical archives (try here - http://www.classicalarchives.com/work/72052.html ), and the score is available for browsing through on Booseys website. It's a VERY dense scoring - a friend of mine heard the premiere but said she couldn't hear much of Bronfman (possibly because of where she was seated, however).
Magnus is a very friendly fellow in addition. His later works (from the last 10-15 years or so) are quite different from his earlier style. He by the way recorded his own first piano concerto (under Salonen's baton), so he's indeed quite a formidable pianist himself.

Is the Lindberg 2nd one of those concertos for piano against orchestra? I've liked the Lindberg I've heard so far, but a concerto where the pianist is constantly struggling to be heard is somewhat off-putting........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Who's Online
149 registered (36251, A Guy, ajames, Alexander Borro, 37 invisible), 1655 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76641 Members
42 Forums
158471 Topics
2327258 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission