2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
petzzo Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi, i have been pianoshopping for quite a while and I have narrowed my options to two pianos. One is a 1980 Yamaha C7. It has two pedals, so I assume it is grey market. It's in original, yet quite good condition. It has some minor scratches etc. of course, but it looks like it was played very mildly, the action is nice and even, but i think the hammers need some reshaping if not replacing. The sound is warm, mellow, not overpowering (probably because of the hammers, I saw a photo from its previous home, and they had it in a very small room).

The other piano is a brand new Wilh.Steinberg P-187. It is basically the same piano as the Brodmann 187, but i suppose it has a different action. They say it has a Flemming action. I looked it up and Flemming is a brand name owned by Wilh.Steinberg, so i think it is just a glorified name for the Chinese action.

The asking price on the Yamaha is slightly higher (about 10%) and I really like the idea of having a 7"+ feet grand. It is really a different world. I would like to know your opinions what investments might catch up on me in the next few years on a 30+y piano and I am aslo interested in your experiences with the Chinese pianos, Brodmann and Wilh.Steinberg. Thanks smile

Oh, and I almost forgot. I am a piano student (master), so the piano will be pounded 6hrs a day when i am home wink

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I teach on a couple of 25-30 year old C7's at a college where they get a lot of pounding and they hold up well. They certainly define the term 'workhorse'
You really can't go wrong with a C7--presuming its been given a clean bill of health from a technician. Also dont underestimate the impact of some voicing and regulating on a piano that age. It's amazing how much the sound can be warmed up with voicing and the action can be 'tightened' with a regulation.
Good luck.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Piano World Forums!

I reckon I’m a little bias here, but I second AJF’s comments about the C7. I have an older C7 (1978 made for USA market) and I absolutely love it. The low bass will make your mouth water and the upper treble will bark loud enough to get your attention; even the C8 note is clear and recognizable. The action is smooth and quick. The instrument far exceeds my meager playing skills.

Thing is, when I’m playing it, I have the perception that I can really play a piano. smile

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C7 all the way. 6hrs a day is far too much for most pianos, but the Yamahas can take it. The Steinberg/Brodmann may sound a bit sweeter now, but it will never have the bass a C7 has, and most likely it will need more regulation the more you play it.
Also, I remember another thread about a bar that had a Brodmann in it that continually had broken strings. If you're a heavy player this might be a consideration.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yamahas in general are workhorses; lots of highly qualified pianists (teachers and/or performers) have yamahas at home and perform on steinways in public.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
There's something about a 7+ foot piano that a mere 6 footer can't do. Get the C7 evaluated by a tech and if it passes don't look back. Nothing against the Steinberg, but the extra foot and a half will make a huge difference. I don't have a crystal ball, but I see a C7 in your future.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Why not try a 7'Brodmann and then compare again?

Apples to apples....

Norbert

P
petzzo Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you very much for all of your replies. Norbert, you are right about comparing with a similar size piano, but a new Steinberg 212 is out of my budget. As I am looking at the prices right now, the difference between 187 and 212 is more than 5k euros.

petzzo:

As an as highly advanced pianist as you are, it should be us seeking your advice rather than the other way around....

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 12/06/12 08:01 PM.

Go with the yamaha. It is a known quantity. The Chinese piano is not. The scale design, the bass response and the tuning stability are proven and will stand up to your use and reward your efforts.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
X
X
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
Go with the yamaha. It is a known quantity. The Chinese piano is not. The scale design, the bass response and the tuning stability are proven and will stand up to your use and reward your efforts.

+1

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Since you've done a lot of shopping already, get a trusted independent tech to check the used C7 and give you an estimate of what it might need in the short and long term.
If the tech gives it a thumbs up, then buy what you love. If you're gonna spend 6 hours a day practicing, the piano you buy should sound wonderful to you, stand up to the wear, and be affordable to maintain.

Best of luck and congratlations on achieving your level of piano proficiency!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
there you both know, deep information and at the same time concise and precise, what advice!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission