Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1995165 - 12/05/12 06:35 PM Obtaining correct non-legato touch
Daniel Brag Offline

Hi guys.I need some help here, to obtain a good non-legato touch, especially during fast passages.I can easily obatain legato or staccato, but when it comes to non-legato, I get completly lost.
Let me give you an example of what I am talking about:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HZRB-x5LNgw

When I try to play using a touch like this, it simply doesn't come out!It seems strict legato or staccato ech give me a specific feeling, which helps archiving what i want.Problem is this simply doesn't happen with non-legato!
Could you guys give me some orientation on playing with a non-legato touch, similar to the video I posted?
Thanks a lot

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1995167 - 12/05/12 06:44 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
First of all, practice without pedal!

I read somewhere the recommendation of practicing passages by holding the chord that you are playing silently and lifting your fingers when you need to. That is, practice the release rather than the attack. It will not sound right, but you will learn the technique.

#1995190 - 12/05/12 07:47 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Here is a link to the file that the OP indicated in his post : Bach Prelude No 6 in D minor, BWV875

Bach Prelude BWV875

Regards,

#1995191 - 12/05/12 07:49 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: BruceD]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
To master articulation play like Gould! cursing

#1995622 - 12/06/12 07:21 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Daniel Brag Offline

Well could anyone give me a more objective answer?Please guys, I really need help!

#1995671 - 12/06/12 10:16 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Daniel Brag
Well could anyone give me a more objective answer?Please guys, I really need help!
Did you not find BDB's reply helpful?

#1995683 - 12/06/12 10:43 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
You can always "cheat" by playing staccato with your foot resting very lightly on the damper pedal.

Otherwise, there really is only one solution: slow practice until you get a feel for how long you want to hold the note. Try practicing with something simple, like a five-note scale or a C-major scale. Just get the feeling under your fingers, then go back to the piece.

#1995706 - 12/07/12 12:19 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
BruceD Online   content

If you can't get the sound you're looking for, intuitively, you'll have to work at getting it, I guess, but there's no great secret.

Presumably, you know how to play legato and you know how to play staccato. What you are aiming at is somewhere - and the somewhere is your choice - in between. Try a simple five-finger exercise, very slowly, clearly imagining the sound you want to produce and then keep working at it until you get the sound and you have the "feel" that produced that sound.

I don't know how to verbalize what "mechanics" you have to employ to get what you're after, because I really don't think there's any great mystery about producing variances of touch. Simply stated, you don't hold the note as long as you would to obtain a legato sound, but you hold it longer than you would to produce a staccato sound.

Regards,

#1995752 - 12/07/12 03:03 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Finger tapping! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_tapping_%28piano%29

#1995868 - 12/07/12 09:35 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Daniel Brag Offline

Thank you very much Bruce.I will take your advice.And BDB's aswell.Also, I will take a look at this finger tapping.

Edited by Daniel Brag (12/07/12 09:40 AM)

#1995893 - 12/07/12 10:39 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hi Daniel, and welcome to the forum.

I think that the formulation "non-legato" in itself poses a difficulty. It says only what you don't want to play, and the problem isn't what you don't want but what you do want, what the composer wants.

Portato or porté. Tenuto. These words express something.

#1995899 - 12/07/12 10:50 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Playing the piano has two essential sides to it: knowing what kind of sound you want to produce or is the right one, being able to physically produce that sound. I would not be able to produce what Gould is doing for more than three seconds because my hand would cramp up. I have a teacher for the first time and we're sorting out basic things that I have been doing and replacing it with other things. Without seeing the OP play and knowing what he has tried, can advice really be given?

#1995923 - 12/07/12 11:44 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Derulux]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
You can always "cheat" by playing staccato with your foot resting very lightly on the damper pedal.

Hi. This isn't cheating at all, it is simply a gross misunderstanding. It has nothing to do whatsoever with tenuto or portato or stacatto or anything "non-legato". Legato and non-legato concern exclusively the use of the hands.

#1995986 - 12/07/12 01:49 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: landorrano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
Originally Posted By: Derulux

Hi. This isn't cheating at all, it is simply a gross misunderstanding. It has nothing to do whatsoever with tenuto or portato or stacatto or anything "non-legato". Legato and non-legato concern exclusively the use of the hands.

While that can be agreed upon, I am a believer that the method of sound production is less important than they type of sound produced. wink

#1996093 - 12/07/12 05:50 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

No.
No!
No no no no! Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon ...

NO!

#1996094 - 12/07/12 05:51 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
+1

#1996106 - 12/07/12 06:05 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: landorrano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
No.
No!
No no no no! Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon ...

NO!

Care to explain or just whine? (sarcasm) wink

#1997325 - 12/10/12 10:36 AM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Daniel Brag Offline

Could someone give me some examples of non-legato touch?It would really help me.Thanks a lot,

Daniel

#1997385 - 12/10/12 02:12 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
OP, this great recent blog post by established pedagogue Graham Fitch might be of use: http://practisingthepiano.com/?p=2073

#1997445 - 12/10/12 04:42 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
Daniel Brag Offline

Thanks a lot.As far as I understood, portato should be played by distinct arm motions , but not deliberately aiming at separating the notes.Is that right?Also, should my fingers stick to the keys all the time?I still seem not to be quite exacly getting to this baroque/classical non-legato sound.I don't know what is wrong,maybe I don't even know what am I looking for?

#1997639 - 12/10/12 11:03 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Bobpickle]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
OP, this great recent blog post by established pedagogue Graham Fitch might be of use: http://practisingthepiano.com/?p=2073

Sometimes there are jewels.. this is one. Thank you for this link!!

I watched his series about chords and then went and had a much better time with Mr. Brahms than I've had in a while. :-)

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#1997651 - 12/10/12 11:17 PM Re: Obtaining correct non-legato touch [Re: Daniel Brag]
BruceD Online   content

Thanks a lot.As far as I understood, portato should be played by distinct arm motions , but not deliberately aiming at separating the notes.Is that right?[...]

I think you are wrong on both counts.

First : You certainly don't need "distinct arm motions" to play a portato passage. Whether the passage is a simple four- or five-note portion of a scale passage or something longer, you certainly aren't going to move your arms to play such a passage portato, just as you wouldn't, necessarily, if it were a legato or a staccato passage. In other words "distinct arm motions" don't produce portato.

As the dictionary defines portato, it is "a musical articulation midway between staccato and legato. It is indicated by a slur over notes bearing a staccato dot or by a tenuto marking combined with a staccato dot." Often, in the case of Baroque music, portato isn't even indicated - except, perhaps, in heavily edition editions - since portato is often considered standard performance practice in much of Baroque music, depending on the context.

Second : In effect, then, there is a slight separation of notes when playing portato, otherwise you are playing legato.

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
10/30/14 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
10/30/14 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
10/30/14 10:03 AM
Did Bach’s wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Who's Online
148 registered (Alexander Borro, Alan_Dublin, ajames, Alan T., accordeur, 43 invisible), 1570 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329507 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission