2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I visited Seymour Bernstein during my recent NYC trip and his home has amazing musical/historical and other treasures plus he sat down at the piano and shared his thoughts about performing Bach and Mozart (interpretation etc.) I embedded two videos. The photos are colorful, in particular.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2012/1...ein-pianist-teacher-author-and-composer/

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great!!

I worked with Seymour for many years and have had the privilege of performing some of his works. How wonderful that you found the opportunity to work with him, and that you have made so much of it -- not just for yourself, but also for him, by virtue of these great write-ups that you're doing. thumb
BTW we can see from those pics what a great time he has had with this.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much!!

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Yes, Thank you. We had a great time together and this followed my touch down up a mile or so, West Side with harpsichordist, Elaine Comparone.. who did her own set of videos during my visit, focusing as well on the Bach Prelude in C, BWV 846..She even played a more jazzy version.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2012/1...her-harpsichord-palace-in-new-york-city/

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
You're welcome. What a splendid sanctuary he has off Central Park West.. and it proves that a small space can be even more comforting than a large one.. though the one room studio appears very big from photos.

Originally Posted by music32
....this followed my touch down up a mile or so, West Side with harpsichordist, Elaine Comparone....

She's also one of my all-time favorite musicians. Don't know her personally but have heard her in person a few times (and have spoken with her) -- all before she took to playing standing up!

My first time hearing her was at the first big concert at the Symphony Space in Manhattan after it got converted to a performing space, around 1978. The occasion was called "Wall to Wall Bach" and it was a huge hit, and led to the Symphony Space becoming what it has been. The event went on for many hours, I think covering a couple of days, and was PACKED the whole time. The music was divided between scheduled professional performances (like hers) and "pick-up" stuff by people who would just show up and ask for it. (I 'almost' played a Bach concerto. I had sort of pre-arranged it, but didn't know till I got there that there was no piano! -- just a harpsichord. So, I had a 'decision' to make -- would I do the incredibly stupid thing of going ahead playing this piece that I'd never performed before and only recently learned on an instrument that I'd barely touched in my life with an orchestra in front of 1000 people, or would I do the sensible thing and forget about it? Oddly, I chose the latter.) ha

I had no idea who Elaine was -- didn't even know if she was one of the professional performers or someone like me who just showed up, especially because she was dressed very casually, including red sneakers. ha I was thinking this is just some girl with red sneakers who said, how about if I go up there and play. Of course she was extraordinary, and before long I learned how accomplished she was.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for that reminiscence. Elaine will probably read it. I was living maybe a block from her in 1978, not realizing it. But I knew her name from the NY Times and the debut and all. One of the critics said she played "red-blooded" harpsichord, and she sure did and does. Those instruments she has are astounding and the acoustical space, fantastic.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission