Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1996388 - 12/08/12 12:19 PM Yet another adult looking to dive back in...
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I took lessons until I was about 16 years old.

I would like to get back into it, now at almost-40. I am frustrated in the loss of skills, and what's worse, there are certain fundamentals that I just never really learned well. Consequently, my velocity is quite bad, and even some simple scales I'm not really able to execute evenly. Part of that is a terrible piano, but the great news is that this is going to be rectified shortly (SO EXCITED!) What never went away was my general craving of it, but frustration, and lack of access to a piano that worked properly worked against that. I can lose hours in front of piano when I get to one I like, so it's still a part of me and getting a piano is the first step in finally respecting that and doing something positive about it.

All my expression and general musicality is still there. I just sort of sadly gloss over runs and other technical elements of sonatas and pieces I love. So I would love to sort of connect the dots and undertake a broad technical tune-up of my skills, and in some cases simply learn it for the first time now that I'm not 12 and fighting my teacher over just how important those boring exercises in Pischna are. Except now I don't have the ability to even teach myself without researching into it. Start slow, start small? What am I aiming for?

So you see the problem: while certain things probably need to be pulled back to a very basic level, certain other things are very easy for me. And I really don't know how to address that in a plan.

I think I need to think through a pedagogic approach here, either self-directed or with a teacher, and was hoping for some kind of input on how to go about that as an adult.

Any advice would be welcome!
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1996413 - 12/08/12 01:21 PM Re: Yet another adult looking to dive back in... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well, since you seem to indicate that a teacher is possible ... the only thing you need to do is find a good teacher that you can develop a relationship with and you are done. You just do what the teacher tells you to do and you're good to go.

And just in case I wasn't clear ... since a teacher is a possibility ... forget about self-directed, for any reason. Just find that teacher.

Edited by dmd (12/08/12 01:23 PM)

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1996422 - 12/08/12 02:04 PM Re: Yet another adult looking to dive back in... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I also strongly recommend trying to find a good teacher who works well with adult students. When I returned to piano after my childhood studies, I was still interested primarily in classical music. Getting a teacher right away (and having the luck to get a really good one) was the best decision I made. Of course, if your ambitions focus on other musical genres, then other approaches might recommend themselves.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1996495 - 12/08/12 04:48 PM Re: Yet another adult looking to dive back in... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
TwoSnowflakes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, it would be returning to traditional classical study. I might see what I can brush up on for 6 months or so without a teacher. Right now, I've got two kids taking piano, and one of them studies violin as a primary instrument. So I'm kind of neck deep in teachers and after one teacher retired and the other really wasn't a great match with my daughter and I had to figure out a way to part ways after four years, I am scared of making a mistake, and weary of the task of researching, interviewing and finding music teachers.

I will say that my ballet teacher's first profession was as a pianist, and she does teach piano as well, which I wish I had known before I hired the teacher we now have. She is very good at teaching ballet, with a rigorous high standard, and I'm sure she would be interested in adding an adult student. I just don't know if I can handle another hour per week of a very stern Russian lady yelling at me to repeat it again, this time without the stupid mistake. wink
Chopin, Mazurka Op. 67 No.4
With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#1996552 - 12/08/12 06:54 PM Re: Yet another adult looking to dive back in... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
When I found my way to the piano, after having been in organ classes as a kid and then having paused with any keyboard instrument for 20 years, I found it for myself most useful to take advantage of the skills which I as an adult surprisingly discovered to have, but for sure havenĀ“t got access to as a kid: I can hear myself playing. As a kid my feelings have been a mixture of what it feels to press the keys, feels to concentrate on the sheet, feels to discover the joy of playing and feel of what enters the ears, all at the same time. The result was sounding as a kid sounds: not mature.
Today, if having a good day, I can really manage to only allow the feel from the ears to reach my brain, while I filter out the other senses. Like this I get a much better expression - after 20 years without practicing. I re-work through all the beginners excercises again, and through raw beginners 'repertoire', although I at the same time could also work right away again on advanced level pieces (what I also do ;-) ).
Take your time and experience the difference, how you as an adult can approach the piano again, different then you might have done it as a kid. Discovering this can quickly get you up and runing again, in a very satisfying way.
Just my experience.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#1996553 - 12/08/12 06:55 PM Re: Yet another adult looking to dive back in... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Yelling shouldn't be part of any lessons I think! Why don't you just ask the ballet teacher for some trial lessons. Then you can see how it works out for you.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
101 registered (AmateurBob, angga888, accordeur, Anne'sson, Alan F, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1321 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission