Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
128 registered (angga888, AnimistFvR, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1663 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1996415 - 12/08/12 01:27 PM Debussy Clair de lune
OrpheusEF Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
Hi All,
I just recorded Debussy Clair de lune and thought I'd share. I hope you like it and feel free to comment.
Cheers,
O

#1996433 - 12/08/12 02:25 PM Re: Debussy Clair de lune [Re: OrpheusEF]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
You have some rhythm/timing problems in the opening section of this piece. Sometimes your two eighth-notes to the beat are as short as your triplet eighth-notes. Sometimes your triplet eighth-notes are as long as the two eight-notes to the beat.

Occasionally your held notes (dotted quarters and dotted halves) are held for too long; I keep waiting for the next note or chord to come in on the beat, and it doesn't always.

While this piece is to be played with considerable rubato, you first need to make the distinction between these groups of notations; otherwise, the piece loses any sense of rhythm or forward direction. I would suggest that you practice this with the metronome until you clearly feel and can maintain a sense of forward motion even while employing judicious rubato.

I've not yet listened to this hooked up to my better speakers, only through those on my laptop. When I get time I'll listen more closely for balance and voicing.

In the meantime, I feel that you should work out those timing issues, perhaps with a metronome.

Regards,

#1996460 - 12/08/12 03:26 PM Re: Debussy Clair de lune [Re: OrpheusEF]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I agree with Bruce on his rhythmic suggestions on the first page or two. While some rubato may be possible, I think you should mostly follow the indicated rhythms. Or it should be obvious that any deviation is a choice rather than an inaccurate reading. My only other suggestion would be to play the accompaniment in the middle section more softly compared to the melody assuming that the recording represents how it actually sounds and is not just due to the microphone placement or recording equipment.

You seemed to have learned the technical aspects of the piece very well and have put a lot of careful thought into your playing. Bravo!

#1996854 - 12/09/12 10:33 AM Re: Debussy Clair de lune [Re: pianoloverus]
OrpheusEF Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
@BruceD: Thanks for pointing out the rhythmic inaccuracies to me. It looks like I tend to mess up the rhythm when applying some rubato frown If you look at my Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118 no. 2 (http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1889952) it seems that I did the same mistake.
I actually have no problems playing it with a metronome, all the notes are in the right place and at the right time. But when I try to shape the lines and get the flow, my use of rubato seems to throw it off balance, which of course I am unaware of. Most of the time I’m just too lazy and feel it uninteresting to come back to play with a metronome again when I have already got the shape and flow I wanted. Perhaps I should do this more often to iron out the timing problems.
Anyway, do let me know what you think about the balance and voicing when you have the time, thanks.

@pianoloverus: Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, really appreciate it. About the middle section, it’s all the factors you mentioned. The recording set-up did have a part to play in making the bass sound louder, but it is mainly me to blame. It would certainly sound much cleaner when the left-hand accompaniment is played softer. I always feel that my playing is not clean enough in whatever piece I play.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
11/23/14 09:35 PM
my struggle to learn pop piano
by carojm36
11/23/14 08:51 PM
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
11/23/14 07:20 PM
Do you ask Santa for piano music?
by Stubbie
11/23/14 07:16 PM
Brahms Sonatas, Op 120 (clarinet/viola & piano): Editions?
by DaveInJapan
11/23/14 07:03 PM
Forum Stats
77023 Members
42 Forums
159304 Topics
2340106 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission