2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1996415 12/08/12 02:27 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi All,
I just recorded Debussy Clair de lune and thought I'd share. I hope you like it and feel free to comment.
Cheers,
O

"It always seems impossible until it's done."
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
You have some rhythm/timing problems in the opening section of this piece. Sometimes your two eighth-notes to the beat are as short as your triplet eighth-notes. Sometimes your triplet eighth-notes are as long as the two eight-notes to the beat.

Occasionally your held notes (dotted quarters and dotted halves) are held for too long; I keep waiting for the next note or chord to come in on the beat, and it doesn't always.

While this piece is to be played with considerable rubato, you first need to make the distinction between these groups of notations; otherwise, the piece loses any sense of rhythm or forward direction. I would suggest that you practice this with the metronome until you clearly feel and can maintain a sense of forward motion even while employing judicious rubato.

I've not yet listened to this hooked up to my better speakers, only through those on my laptop. When I get time I'll listen more closely for balance and voicing.

In the meantime, I feel that you should work out those timing issues, perhaps with a metronome.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
I agree with Bruce on his rhythmic suggestions on the first page or two. While some rubato may be possible, I think you should mostly follow the indicated rhythms. Or it should be obvious that any deviation is a choice rather than an inaccurate reading. My only other suggestion would be to play the accompaniment in the middle section more softly compared to the melody assuming that the recording represents how it actually sounds and is not just due to the microphone placement or recording equipment.

You seemed to have learned the technical aspects of the piece very well and have put a lot of careful thought into your playing. Bravo!

O
OP Offline
O
@BruceD: Thanks for pointing out the rhythmic inaccuracies to me. It looks like I tend to mess up the rhythm when applying some rubato frown If you look at my Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118 no. 2 (https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...zo%20Op.%20118%20no.%20.html#Post1889952) it seems that I did the same mistake.
I actually have no problems playing it with a metronome, all the notes are in the right place and at the right time. But when I try to shape the lines and get the flow, my use of rubato seems to throw it off balance, which of course I am unaware of. Most of the time I’m just too lazy and feel it uninteresting to come back to play with a metronome again when I have already got the shape and flow I wanted. Perhaps I should do this more often to iron out the timing problems.
Anyway, do let me know what you think about the balance and voicing when you have the time, thanks.

@pianoloverus: Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, really appreciate it. About the middle section, it’s all the factors you mentioned. The recording set-up did have a part to play in making the bass sound louder, but it is mainly me to blame. It would certainly sound much cleaner when the left-hand accompaniment is played softer. I always feel that my playing is not clean enough in whatever piece I play.

"It always seems impossible until it's done."

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission