Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
113 registered (A Guy, Anita Potter, accordeur, ando, 34 invisible), 1377 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1995745 - 12/07/12 02:52 AM Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours!
albynism Offline

Any last minute tips? I'm just going through my general knowledge, memorizing the modulations for each piece. I bombed my last recital, so frankly, I'm not too nervous about this exam since I dont think I can get anymore embarrassed than that last incident (seriously, people were actually giggling, and my piano teacher covered her face with her hands, it was that bad!) Crushed my spirit at the time, but in a way, it has made me a more determined student.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1995751 - 12/07/12 03:03 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Yes, relax and get some sleep!

Good luck! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1995762 - 12/07/12 03:51 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
DadAgain Offline

Loc: Brisbane, QLD
Relax and enjoy playing the pieces. if you worry too much it won't be fun and that'll show. Little mistakes don't matter too much particularly if you look like you're having fun and your audience (the examiner) gets sucked in to that fun vibe.
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)

#1995784 - 12/07/12 06:11 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: DadAgain]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Yes, I agree with trying to enjoy it. You love piano, so it's a real treat to get to share the pieces you have spent so long practising with someone who is really interested in seeing you do well.

This is what I will tell myself anyway.... When I do my exam next year...

You must be doing something right to get that far anyway. When you pass, you'll be my hero as I'm sick of people telling me as an adult I'm never going to be very good xxx
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1995792 - 12/07/12 06:37 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

good luck! good sleep +1

#1995813 - 12/07/12 07:31 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Thanks! I'm so excited I can't sleep! But I'll try. I'll keep you updated on how I go. Fingers cross I don't bomb this exam like I did in the recital.

#1995819 - 12/07/12 07:51 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Relax into the music and let it be the only thing on your mind. I wonder if we say "break a leg" before piano performances? Well the sentiment is there anyway

Love to learn

#1995822 - 12/07/12 07:56 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: WiseBuff]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Relax into the music and let it be the only thing on your mind. I wonder if we say "break a leg" before piano performances? Well the sentiment is there anyway

I was thinking break a leg too but then realized it makes pedaling much harder.

Good luck!

Kawai K3

#1995844 - 12/07/12 08:42 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Enjoy your exam. Imagine you are practicing. Have fun!
Good luck!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1996057 - 12/07/12 04:32 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Break a leg - pedal with the other. Good luck!

#1996186 - 12/07/12 11:18 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Woohoo!! All done! The examiner was a very nice lady. Had a memory lapse in the Beethoven sonata but otherwise I think the rest went well. The examiner said I did very well which was reassuring, at least I know I won't fail. I think I'm going to get a B or a B+ if
If I'm lucky!

#1996192 - 12/07/12 11:41 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Hmm I wish I I didn't stuff up the Beethoven sonata.... WHY!???! Why?!!! How could I forget that line when I played it so many times before without fail frown

#1996193 - 12/07/12 11:46 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Grats! Not that I've ever been graded on my (few) public performances, but getting a B or B+ on a public performance would be great. I don't think I've ever reached that bar!

#1996203 - 12/08/12 12:30 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: Whizbang]
albynism Offline

Originally Posted By: Whizbang
Grats! Not that I've ever been graded on my (few) public performances, but getting a B or B+ on a public performance would be great. I don't think I've ever reached that bar!

Thanks. A public performance is a very valuable experience too, if not more.

#1996209 - 12/08/12 12:56 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Congratulations on getting through this! The examiner sounds nice and probably helped you relax. Dont worry about the mistakes. You're a student after all not a paid performer! They will know from all you did right that it was a slip up probably due to nerves not ability.

Keep us posted on your outcome! I know how much work goes into getting ready for an exam! Good for you for doing this!!

#1996213 - 12/08/12 01:01 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: ZoeCalgary]
albynism Offline

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
Congratulations on getting through this! The examiner sounds nice and probably helped you relax. Dont worry about the mistakes. You're a student after all not a paid performer! They will know from all you did right that it was a slip up probably due to nerves not ability.

Keep us posted on your outcome! I know how much work goes into getting ready for an exam! Good for you for doing this!!

Thanks Zoe. It was quite disappointing that I practiced the sonata so much but then my memory slips during the exam, out of all time it has to be during the exam. I wasn't actually that nervous during the exam surprisingly. I think the memory slips happened because I was looking at my hands and it sort of threw me off. I was used to practicing just looking either at the music or a blank wall.

#1996256 - 12/08/12 05:00 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Stop beating yourself up over mistakes. What's done is done. Sounds like you did great and they will have seen far worse mistakes that your small issue.

Perfection is unrealistic in music. My piano teacher said that to me at some point when I was harshly berating myself for some small error.

Well done! Reward yourself now for working so hard.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1996274 - 12/08/12 06:43 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Thanks Toastie. It's funny after the messed-up Beethoven Sonata I was already aware that I should stop looking at my hands, so for the rest of the pieces I played just staring blankly ahead. The examiner must've thought I was trying to show off. For those wondering, I played Bach Italian Concerto presto movement, a Schumann Romance, and a Bartok Suite, and of course, a movement from a Beethoven sonata. I had only 6 months to prepare for this exam from scratch, I did grade 6 back in May (skipped grade 7). The last few weeks had been really hard because I had to stay back late at work and had very little time to practice.

I'm going to do Diploma next but this time I'll spend a year on it. I'm happy that my childhood dream of finishing grade 8 has finally been fulfilled! I now have the bragging rights that I have completed all my piano grades laugh .. except for diplomas.

By the way, I got to play on a Hamburg Steinway during the exam! The piano sounds so tinny almost like I was playing a harpsichord! It does really well on pp though (much better than my rusty yamaha anyway). I was suprised I was able to easily articulate the soft notes on the last passage of the schumann's romance, usually it doesn't make any sound at all on my Yamaha. Also, I noticed the gap between the keys are very pronounced and the black keys are much narrow... it would have thrown me off-guard but lucky I was exposed to a similar piano during the recital so I was mentally (and physically) prepared for it.

Thanks everyone for your kind support and encouragement. Any questions about exams etc, feel free to ask.

#1996279 - 12/08/12 06:56 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congrats!

>Hmm I wish I I didn't stuff up the Beethoven sonata.... WHY!???! Why?!!! How could I forget that line when I played it so many times before without fail frown

This seems all to common... practiced till death, then fails during the performance. I have one piece that keeps doing this - plays fine from memory whenb at home but not with anyone near...

#1996299 - 12/08/12 08:33 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations! That is indeed an accomplishment. I hope you realized we were all there as an invisible and supportive audience enjoying the music and not noticing any mistakes. Good for you.

Love to learn

#1996377 - 12/08/12 11:41 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow. You skipped a grade and just recently did your last exam. Thats even more amazing!

My first teacher had suggested I may skip the grade 5 exam and go straight to grade 6. But then I started working again and piano time has been extremely limited. I recently started with a new teacher and am sticking with grade 5. I have much to learn yet. No skipping for me!

Your comment about where you were looking throwing you off doesn't surprise me. I read somewhere after you memorize a piece you have to always play the same way and that includes where you look. I used to look out the window but no window throws me off. Then I just look down at my hands. And at first that really threw me off. Now it's fun for me to watch my hands!

I'm curious if you worked through any of the repertoire from grade 7 books? Or did you skip it entirely?

#1996459 - 12/08/12 03:22 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: ZoeCalgary]
albynism Offline

Thanks Wouter and Wisebuff.

Zoe, I did work on other pieces and went through all the sight reading materials for grade 7. I think the hardest transition from grade 6 to 8 was the technical work because in grade 8 (AMEB) I had to do the scales and chromatic in thirds and sixths (whereas before it has always been an octave apart) so that was challenging since each hand would have to be completely independent. It's almost like I was learning scales from scratch again.

I guess from now on I should practice looking at every single possible thing in the room.

#1996564 - 12/08/12 07:29 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: albynism
I guess from now on I should practice looking at every single possible thing in the room.

lol. I think what you should take away is that when preparing for recitals and/or performances, you should simply aim to mimic the performance to come in terms of clothes, possible interruptions, possible memory lapses, and where your focus (in this case visual) will be during the performance(s)

#1996572 - 12/08/12 07:50 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I'm in no position to give any advice around here, but I will say you should be very proud of what you've achieved, I'm guessing its a dream/goal for a lot of peeps on the ABF to reach grade 8.
One thing I always tell myself is, no matter what, I'm in this for the enjoyment and because I love the piano.

Fingers crossed for a pass on your exam.

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#1997144 - 12/09/12 11:02 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Result just in. I got a B+!!!
Quite happy with that. If only I didn't stuff up that sonata... Oh well! smile smile

#1997156 - 12/09/12 11:39 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

That sounds excellent to me! Onwards and upwards now. Wow you got your results fast. I had to wait a few months for mine. (RCM).

So are you starting the next level straight away or taking a break?

#1997161 - 12/09/12 11:56 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Yes I was surprised myself, my teacher just SMS-ed me the result a couple of minutes ago. I supposed it's all posted online these days. I'm going to start working straight away but not as rushed as before, I want to take a bit more time to learn other pieces and see if my teacher can help me get more performance opportunities because I felt my performance skill is very lacking. And apparently only 50% of students pass their diploma on their first go, so they expect a really really good performance. If I stuff up the sonata the way I did in grade 8 it would be instant fail for sure!

#1997162 - 12/10/12 12:00 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: albynism
Result just in. I got a B+!!!

Wow, a huge achievement - you should be proud of yourself!

#1997252 - 12/10/12 06:53 AM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations. A B+ should be cause for celebration.

Love to learn

#1997547 - 12/10/12 07:40 PM Re: Grade 8 exam in less than 24 hours! [Re: albynism]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Cool beans, congrats to you!
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
Today at 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
Today at 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
Today at 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
Today at 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
Today at 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160002 Topics
2349631 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission