2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1992481 11/29/12 04:54 PM
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
It's early and my piece isn't for Christmas, but what the heck...

Been working on this really fun piece that my teacher found for the past month, wanted to finish it, and put it to bed. Not perfect (Red dot always wins)...but they never are...

Interlude by Walter and Carol Noona...

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Mark...

Not perfect (Red dot always wins)...but they never are...

It sounds pretty close to perfect to me, Mark. It's a nice piece and nice playing. Some really great changes near the end. Nicely done. Great piano, BTW.

Thanks also for opening the December bar. I need to go out of town this weekend and but have a Christmas Carol all ready for ya's ... will be back shortly ...

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
OK, I'm back smile .

Sorry to have to spring this on you so soon, as I am sure you may not quite be in the mood yet. But, I figure once the December Bar opens it is open territory for Christmas Carols tiki .

I do not have much at all in my Christmas line up. This one though, I set out to learn a couple of years ago. At the time I acquired only a partial arrangement for it that did not include the bridge, the key change or the ending tag. I liked it enough, but was not motivated enough at the time to finish it, and there it sat for a few years.

Fast forward to being on PW now, with my new found motivation, and I have completed it this year. I improved the arrangement, changed the key and finished it. It is fairly straight up version, but I am pleased that it is at least complete so I can continue to improve on it.

So here is, and hope you enjoy my rendition of;

Grown Up Christmas List

It's early and my piece isn't for Christmas, but what the heck...

Man, those lush arpeggios sound great on that piano! Well done.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
Originally Posted by Greener

So here is, and hope you enjoy my rendition of;

Grown Up Christmas List

This one always make me cry. Yes I admit it. Especially the way that Amy Grant sings it, though I can't say that I'm an Amy Grant fan. Your version is no exception, Jeff - makes me well up...

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mark and Greener, could you guys re-post your performances in the "Holiday Performances" thread?

This is really good stuff that should be included in it.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Greener, Have not heard this one. I like how the piece gets strong as it goes. Well played.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks Ken, no worries admitting it. It used to do the same for me. Not sure if it still will now though. I like Natalie Cole's version. The only one I know though -- know though? --. I will check out Amy Grant now. thanks again

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Mark and Greener, could you guys re-post your performances in the "Holiday Performances" thread?

Sure thing, Mr Super-Hunky. Thanks. Didn't know there was such a thing. Will go looking for it now.

The Holiday season is a great time to take stock of the progress (or lack thereof) that we've made over the years. I usually like to try to record two Christmas/holiday-related numbers around this time of year. Since this is my first year on the ABF, I will bore you with my whole holiday catalog. Fire sale - all songs must go!

This one is hot off the presses. I will do one more before the season is over (hopefully).

Christmas Time Is Here

Here is the blog entry for it:
Christmas Time Is Here blog entry

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is a "free jazz" number which one would think should not appeal to most people. But this is by far my most downloaded number. I remember thinking that this was an advancement because the only advice that I got from my piano teacher on the arrangement was to consider using some fourths in the melody.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen blog entry

Auld Lang Syne was done as a solo piano arrangement. This is when I realized that I had hopelessly forgotten the little that
I had learned about improvising for solo piano. I
re-harmonized the beginning and end of this to be as dark as humanly possible, befitting the outlook for 2012.

Auld Lang Syne

Auld Lang Syne blog post

I was really excited about My Favorite Things. This was way,way beyond what I was normally capable of in 2010. It sounds pretty raw now, and overly long. This is an uptempo jazz waltz. Hopefully we can entice Jazzwee to post his exceptionally beautiful version that is out on Soundcloud.

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things blog entry

What Child Is This (aka Greensleeves) is done as a bossa nova.
This is old enough that the original backing instrumentation was MIDI, and I had to supply my own acoustic guitar embellishments. I was able to re-mix it to get rid of the MIDI, but I unfortunately had to keep myself on the guitar.

What Child Is This

What Child Is This blog entry

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
These are nice Ken, I particularly like the 2012 Christmas Time is Here. This shows a pretty clear progression of style and your advancement. Good for you. You're going to be hearing another version of "Christmas Time is Here" in a few weeks. As I mentioned earlier, I do not have much in my Christmas line, but this is one of them. It's all good though, we are likely to see a few of this one ... it is a great tune.

Well done. I still have more listening to do, and really diggin' it.

Hey, you know we are supposed to be posting this in the Holiday thread that has been started, eh ?

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Mine isn't Christmas related...so let me know...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Great playing Ken, love the full band effect you always add. It takes me forever to get a recoding and you pop out a few in a bunch...

Originally Posted by Greener

Well done. I still have more listening to do, and really diggin' it.

Hey, you know we are supposed to be posting this in the Holiday thread that has been started, eh ?

Thanks!

Oops. I'll cross-post these...

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry Mark. I saw Christmas-related and had a brain-fart on the "isn't part.

Anyway, I was surprised at how nice and clear your performance was in that bright room. It sounded really good. My acoustic is also on wood floors in a bright setting but the walls are log (log home) which does incredibly funky things to the sound.

Nice job and nice shiny fallboard too!

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Sorry Mark. I saw Christmas-related and had a brain-fart on the "isn't part.

Anyway, I was surprised at how nice and clear your performance was in that bright room. It sounded really good. My acoustic is also on wood floors in a bright setting but the walls are log (log home) which does incredibly funky things to the sound.

Nice job and nice shiny fallboard too!

If you notice the Zoom is back on the lid. It helps reduce some of the brightness. If I use the Flip camera audio, it is harsh.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mark..., that's a really pretty piece. You play it very expressively.

Greener, this is a favorite, and I really enjoyed your version.

kenjazz, Christmas Time Is Here is one of my favorite Christmas songs. I really enjoyed your version of it. The "fairy bells" at the beginning and end are a nice touch. God Rest may be a free jazz, but it retains enough recognizable melody to be a joy for those of us who are into less esoteric music. I found myself singing and scatting along through parts of this one. Your Auld Lang Syne is delightfully different. I found myself enjoying a song I normally do not like much. My Favorite Things does drag a bit now and then, but is overall quite a fun listen. What Child is another Christmas favorite, and your bossa version is enjoyable.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

S
S

Mark, well played. The red dot effect wasn't noticeable to me. If you noticed it, then I suspect it would be awesome without the red dot.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
S
S

Thank you Greener, I hadn't heard that piece before.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Handel Sonatina - from the Aylesford pieces

I recorded this along with 4 others, including the last recital piece, during the same session in a very short period of time. (perhaps 1 hour)

I came to the realization that I needed to record these 5 pieces to be done with them and get them off my practice schedule (they were consuming too much valuable time for new stuff!) - so I decided I would just play 'em each through a couple of times and select the best take. To heck with mistakes - it's not like these are soundtracks to a movie or anything! laugh

I was very fortunate with this piece that I was able to record this take. I had tried on multiple occasions over the summer to record this, but always melted down spectacularly at some point.

When I finished, I paused for a moment and thought to myself, "Woah, did I really do that?" I had to listen to the recording again later to make sure I didn't selectively forget any major disasters.

(not that it's perfect - at all! But I was just really pleased to finally get this recorded. laugh )

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission