Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1994685 - 12/04/12 03:08 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Thanks for your feedback Wouter. I hope you might also consider joining the next Themed Recital being organized for next year. I know you could find this a very rewarding experience.

griffin, yes I saw that recital and yes it looks inviting. But I have no time left at this moment - working on 1 new one and keeping up 3 for a coming recital takes away all my time and after that there will be the christmas break. I'll see next year.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1994723 - 12/04/12 06:01 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Bravo to all of the players. thumb wow I've just listened to every performance and found a new affinity for Mr. Satie that wasn't there before. Thanks so much to all of you for sharing the fruits of your labor.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1994807 - 12/04/12 11:46 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hi! Thank you so much to everyone who has taken to them time to listen, and post your thoughts. I feel honored that I was a tiny smidgen of your day.

I would like to congratulate all of my co-performers on all of their beautiful interpretations! All of the work paid off!

AimeeO

#1995573 - 12/06/12 05:30 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: griffin2417
I'm sure Wayne would love to hear from you.

If you haven't done so, check out the "Themed Recital --The Big One" thread. There are still lots of selections needing folks like you to perform them! smile.

You in on this one griffin?

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Although I'm serving on jury duty right now

Trap

Oh my gawd, someones going to get seventeen life sentences without hope of parole for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their seventeen adopted special needs starving children then.

This didn't go unoticed Rossy! Lol.........Lol smile

#1995694 - 12/06/12 11:35 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Originally Posted By: griffin2417
I'm sure Wayne would love to hear from you.

If you haven't done so, check out the "Themed Recital --The Big One" thread. There are still lots of selections needing folks like you to perform them! smile.

You in on this one griffin?

No thanks Wayne! My regular piano studies have taken a nosedive. Doing recitals with deadlines is not a good thing for me to do right now. I have some major pieces I'm working on with my teacher, and I have to remain focused on those for a while.

However, I'd be happy to post the recital if Rossy is too busy when the time comes. wink

#1995816 - 12/07/12 07:42 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Finally got a chance to listen at length and in depth - here are some brief reviews:

Gymnopédie 1 - Griffin - melodic and delicate - sensitively performed - I don't see how you could improve this much at all - very artistically done Grif!

Gymnopédie 2 - Dipsy - reflective and wistful - very nicely accomplished - good choice of accompanying video - just a tad more polishing and you've nailed it...

Gymnopédie 3 - PianoStudent88 - warm, lovely and thoughtful piece very assuredly played - fine touch on the keyboard - enjoyed your performance measurably...

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1996085 - 12/07/12 05:28 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: TrapperJohn]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Finally got a chance to listen at length and in depth - here are some brief reviews:

Gymnopédie 1 - Griffin - melodic and delicate - sensitively performed - I don't see how you could improve this much at all - very artistically done Grif!

Gymnopédie 2 - Dipsy - reflective and wistful - very nicely accomplished - good choice of accompanying video - just a tad more polishing and you've nailed it...

Gymnopédie 3 - PianoStudent88 - warm, lovely and thoughtful piece very assuredly played - fine touch on the keyboard - enjoyed your performance measurably...

Trap

Thanks for you thoughtful feedback TJ! I truly appreciate it. smile

#1996273 - 12/08/12 06:36 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

More brief reviews:

Gnoissienne 1 - Peyton - mysterious indeed - if Satie's instructions had been "haunt your listeners" you have accomplished this to perfection - love the dark beauty of this piece with the clear, ringing melody line and the throbbing base - and your patient pacing is remarkable - a mesmerizing and masterful performance Peyton thumb thumb

Gnoissienne 2 - AimeeO - soft and sweet and thoughtful - very nice, gentle performance - so easy to listen to and get lost in - music for a twilight summer evening - well done.

Gnoissienne 3 - Rupak - everything I said about Peyton's performance of Gnoissienne 1 above applies equally well here - this piece could be a companion to that one (another movement in the same suite, as it were) - dark, brooding and mysterious - wonderful execution, especially the ever-so-slightly delayed pacing throughout, and the excellent highlighting of the melody line against the repeating and pulsating base - great touch and feel on the keyboard!

Trap

#1996426 - 12/08/12 02:15 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
John, thanks much for listening and taking the time to comment!!

#1996676 - 12/09/12 12:16 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Thanks so much TJ for listening our recital and encouraging us by your kind comments! smile

Also, lots of thanks to Pavel, Wouter, LizAnne, Timmy and JimF for listening and appreciating our works!

#1996821 - 12/09/12 09:19 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Still more brief reviews:

Gnoissienne 4 - Recaredo - still more dark and somber atmosphere - not sure the video matches the feeling here (maybe scenes along a lonely river bank in rain at dusk?) - very astutely and sensitively played though - good effort Recaredo!

Gnoissienne 5 - LadyChen - finally a brighter and lighter piece - really nice execution of the tricky right hand patterns against the repeating base - this is a very assured performance and a good listen - delightful LadyChen!

Trap

#1997230 - 12/10/12 04:36 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Thanks Jim for your comments on this recital.

Trap, thank you for your feedback! smile.

My website

#1997258 - 12/10/12 07:20 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Still yet even more brief reviews:

Gnoissienne 6 - dire tonic - appealingly done with a good deal of assurance and skill - after 5 previous Gnoissiennes it's hard to concentrate on or appreciate the merits of this piece above the others (which is unfair to you and Satie), but you did a fine job nevertheless...

Gnoissienne 7 - Wayne33yrs - yes, this one is unique, which could be either a good thing or a bad thing depending... the composition here seems to be a little more disorganized (or less structured) than the other Gnoissiennes which is probably not helpful - you said that the challenge was to make it sound "musical", which you did, although this seemingly wasn't an easy task - sorry that you didn't as you say "get your best performance" although this one was certainly good enough (all things considered). Nice, commendable effort.

Trap

P.S. Hope those of you who participated in this "Themed Recital" (and congratulations again for doing so!) but who have not previously submitted work to the quarterly ABF Recitals will consider doing so in the future - there is a lot of outstanding talent here that deserves to be heard on a much wider basis.

#1997358 - 12/10/12 12:39 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: TrapperJohn]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Thank you, Trap. You noticed in listening what bedevilled me in the performance. Not for nothing are those more familiar Satie pieces better-known. It was that haunting Satie mystique I tried without success to find in my piece. Frankly, it left me perplexed, lol! Still, it was a huge benefit to me in the doing of it. Thanks for listening and commenting. The invitation to the quarterlies is noted. Expect to have your patience tested with some R&B noodling in the not too distant.

Thanks to Cheryl also and everyone who posted their kind, appreciative comments. What makes this work so well is knowing we don’t do this in a vacuum.

#1997399 - 12/10/12 02:48 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Despite being written by the same composers this is a disparate collection of work. It's performed by players of different levels of skill and experience on different instruments in different parts of the world.

And yet there's a unity in the ten pieces pervading the recital as a whole. And it's not Satie, that whimsical and ambiguous joker. It's something else. I don't know what it is. I couldn't even listen to all the pieces on the one day, at least not in their entirety, but had to spread it over so many days.

I know from PM's with some of you how much has gone into this and how much it means to have been involved and now it's done it hardly seems fitting for me to add anything. There's nothing I can say that would either add or detract from your collected experiences. It's been a success. You've all taken it seriously, worked conscientiously and delivered to the best of your abilities and none of you have let the side down.

I hope the effort is going to spur on those that don't already participate in the ABF recitals to venture forth again with sharing a little of your playing. I know from my one and so far only submission that it adds a focus and attention to your practice that's hard to find elsewhere and provides a delight in the listening, even to beginners performances, that has, frankly, perplexed me.

Well done, one and all. Superb job!

#1997566 - 12/10/12 08:19 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

WOW! Thnx Trap! N Thnx Richard, too true!

#1997837 - 12/11/12 11:20 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Thanks so much, Trap and Richard! You are too kind!

This experience has encouraged me to do the ABF recitals. I've learned so much from the process, and the support is wonderful.

#2000269 - 12/16/12 01:53 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just bringing this back to the top, so folks don't miss it smile I caught the shamelessness off Griffin lol smile

#2000347 - 12/16/12 05:05 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: wayne33yrs]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Just bringing this back to the top, so folks don't miss it smile I caught the shamelessness off Griffin lol smile

I'm glad to have been a positive influence Wayne! wink

#2000350 - 12/16/12 05:35 PM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You certainly have Griffin wink

#2114485 - 07/08/13 03:20 AM Re: Erik Satie Themed Recital [Re: griffin2417]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Peyton:

Wow - I really enjoyed your performance of gnossienne 1, my favorite of the Satie works.

I particularly liked the sound of your piano. It has real character to it! What year and model is it?

Thanks and great job!

Addendum: I went and looked up Peyton's profile and he shows Pramberger PG185 as his piano.

Edited by AZ_Astro (07/08/13 03:34 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (accordeur, 36251, angga888, Alux, 19 invisible), 1096 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158485 Topics
2327430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission