Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1996424 - 12/08/12 02:11 PM Casio PX-850 to iPad?
Dan Clark Offline

Loc: Bellevue, WA USA
I just bought a PX-850. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I'm trying to hook it up to my iPad to use midi-enabled apps. I got an iRig midi adaptor, only to find that that the thing works ONLY with midi ports and not with USB.

How do you hook up a keyboard that has only a USB midi port (like the PX-850) to an iPad?

Thanks,

Dan.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1996428 - 12/08/12 02:20 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: Dan Clark]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Camera connection kit should do it.

#1996461 - 12/08/12 03:26 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Dan Clark Offline

Buddha,

Many, many thanks! It worked perfectly!!!

It turns out that I bought a camera kit when I bought the iPad, but never used it to connect my camera. It was in a plastic baggie with iPad cables. Found it. Plugged it in. Voila!

I bought the iRig thinking that it would do what I wanted with the 850. My bad. The iRig people never mention in their marketing hype that it works ONLY with midi ports and NOT with midi USB ports. Grrrrr. I'm going on Amazon to give them a "wonderful" review.

Thanks again for making my day.

Dan.

#1996514 - 12/08/12 05:27 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: Dan Clark]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dan Clark
I bought the iRig thinking that it would do what I wanted with the 850. My bad. The iRig people never mention in their marketing hype that it works ONLY with midi ports and NOT with midi USB ports. Grrrrr. I'm going on Amazon to give them a "wonderful" review.

I actually don't blame the iRig people for that. It is pretty clear from the specs (
"3 MIDI ports: IN/OUT/THRU" and that it includes "MIDI 5-pin DIN cables") as well as the pictures (looking at the ones on Amazon) that it is for standard MIDI, not for USB. Companies generally tell you what their products are for, they don't usually tell you what they're not for. ;-)

#1996926 - 12/09/12 01:01 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: anotherscott]
Dan Clark Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

I actually don't blame the iRig people for that. It is pretty clear from the specs (
"3 MIDI ports: IN/OUT/THRU" and that it includes "MIDI 5-pin DIN cables") as well as the pictures (looking at the ones on Amazon) that it is for standard MIDI, not for USB. Companies generally tell you what their products are for, they don't usually tell you what they're not for. ;-)

Scott,

Each to his/her own opinion, but I do blame the iRig people for not being more clear. You apparently understand midi in-depth. Therefore, their marketing blurbs are clear to you because you already understand those details. However...

Nothing you wrote above precludes the iRig from being used with a standard USB midi port. That they include "midi 5-pin DIN cables" is fine. And that they do NOT include a standard USB midi cable is a bit frustrating, but I'll fork over the extra money for one of those. That is, IF I could buy one. AFAIK, these cables are NOT available.

Further they do say that the included USB cable can be used to charge the device while in use. Great. So you can connect the USB cable to your DP and charge the iPad while in use. And of course use that cable for midi. Well, uhmm... No. (They conveniently forgot to mention that.)

Finally, I've read several reviews describing the iRig as superior to the other devices. NONE of them mention that the iRig has a major limitation - no connection to USB midi.

I'm not going to write a negative review about the iRig because it's a bad product. I don't know that because I can't use it. I'm writing a negative review about the company not being clear about what the product can NOT do - at least in a notation.

While "let the buyer beware" is a standard concept, the question is when does failure to clearly describe a product's limitations cross the line. Obviously, you think they clearly described their product and they were not making misleading statements. I think the opposite. Of course, I'm the one who forked over money for a product that I can't use. That affects my opinion a bit.

Dan.

#1996948 - 12/09/12 02:14 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: Dan Clark]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Finally, I've read several reviews describing the iRig as superior to the other devices. NONE of them mention that the iRig has a major limitation - no connection to USB midi.

The competing devices (Yamaha i-MX1, Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer) don't work with USB midi either. The main thing that makes the iRig superior to those is that you can charge the iPad at the same time.

I understand that you're new to MIDI and were confused about the purpose of this device, but not only are you correct that none of the other reviewers complained about this (which might tell you something?), also none of the reviewers for those other similar products complained about this either. I'm not saying it might not be helpful to someone for you to leave that review, other people new to MIDI may be confused as well, but I don't think it's really fair to say that the manufacturer misrepresented the product.

For a little history... Apple's Camera Kit came out early on, and as of iOS 4-point-something, provided a cheap, reliable solution for connecting USB MIDI devices to the iPad. But people with pro music gear were stuck, because that gear usually has standard MIDI ports, and Apple provided no way to connect them. These devices served to fill that need.

There are actually devices that do both, but they are much more expensive. I think the only ones are the iConnectMIDI and the Alesis IO Dock. But these usually sell for in the $150-$200 range.

Of course, I'm the one who forked over money for a product that I can't use. That affects my opinion a bit.

And of course, the great thing about Amazon is, if you ordered the wrong thing, you can return it.

#1996976 - 12/09/12 03:23 PM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: anotherscott]
Dan Clark Offline

Scott,

Thanks. Good info. Yes, you're right - it would probably be a bit strong to write that iRig misrepresented their product. That said, IMO their product positioning isn't clear - at least to me.

To be fair to them, I'll focus my comments on the products key limitation - no USB midi.

Regards,

Dan.

#2024963 - 02/01/13 12:04 AM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: Dan Clark]
MichaelK2233 Offline

Did you ever find a program for USB MIDI for iPad?

#2026131 - 02/03/13 01:15 AM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: MichaelK2233]
Dan Clark Offline

Originally Posted By: MichaelK2233

Michael,

I'm using the Apple camera kit for the iPad to PX-850 hardware connection. Works perfectly.

For software, I finally settled on Zenph Home Concert Extreme for iPad. I also have the PC version. Both work well, although the PC version with a 19" monitor is much nicer. But the iPad version is portable - I can take it over to my son's house to plug into my grandson's PX-350. Overall, both work well.

Regards,

Dan.

#2026242 - 02/03/13 09:57 AM Re: Casio PX-850 to iPad? [Re: Dan Clark]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By: MichaelK2233

Michael,

I'm using the Apple camera kit for the iPad to PX-850 hardware connection. Works perfectly.

For software, I finally settled on Zenph Home Concert Extreme for iPad. I also have the PC version. Both work well, although the PC version with a 19" monitor is much nicer. But the iPad version is portable - I can take it over to my son's house to plug into my grandson's PX-350. Overall, both work well.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan,

Re: Home Concert Extreme - This software's capabilities sound very similar to a (I think) discontinued product from Cakewalk caled "In Concert" - in that it accompanies you (based on your tempo etc) as you play on the keyboard. I enjoyed using "In Concert" years ago, but have since misplaced it and HCX sounds like it might "fit the bill" in replacing it.

However, one of the reviews on the APP store said that many (most?) downloadable MIDI files are NOT compatible with HCX. Have you found that to be true? If so, where do you get your MIDI files from that are compatible? (FWIW, my musical tastes are mostly pop ballads and/or blues).

I have my laptop connected to my DP full time, so would be leaning towards the PC version (although I do own an iPad as well). What are some of the advantages of the Windows version over the iPad version?

Thanks!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, AndreiN, 20 invisible), 1195 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294257 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission