Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1997176 - 12/10/12 12:46 AM favourite painist and why
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Who is your favourite pianist? Mine would have to be the French pianist Helene Grimaud. She has unbelievable talent and clearly has a feel and a love for what she does which is apparent when she plays. I would love to have her keyboard skills but sadly that is never going to be the case.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1997181 - 12/10/12 12:56 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: adultpianist
She has unbelievable talent and clearly has a feel and a love for what she does which is apparent when she plays.

This describes many pianists. Surely it cannot be your only reason.

#1997199 - 12/10/12 02:22 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'm having a hard time having a favourite tv show, composer, film, or other and you're asking about favourite pianist and why?!?!? Yikes... grin

#1997202 - 12/10/12 02:30 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: JoelW]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Joel_W
She has unbelievable talent and clearly has a feel and a love for what she does which is apparent when she plays.

This describes many pianists. Surely it cannot be your only reason.

But some pianists are better than others. Even at professional level. Leonard Bernstein was a one of a kind artist. I was never fond of his flamboyant conducting ways, but he was one of the finest pianists around. Helene Grimaund is another such pianist. Some pianist play well but show they have no feeling and look like programmed robots.

#1997206 - 12/10/12 02:44 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It depends on the piece

I like Helene Grimaud's Rachmaninov.

Sokolov has some wonderful Rameau

Brendel plays Liszt excellent

etc

#1997209 - 12/10/12 02:51 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Alicia de Larrocha.

Her Mozart is enough for me. And so his her Iberia.

#1997210 - 12/10/12 02:56 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I really really enjoy Horrowitz on a number of pieces and composers, particularly his Chopin, Rachmaninoff, & Liszt. I find his musical ideas so sensational and original. Amidst so many piano player that simply have technique, horrowitz seems to be able to dream at the piano. I think overall, he's my favorite pianists simply because of how much imagination is found in his playing.

I love Arrau's Beethoven, mostly. I do enjoy Barrenboim's a lot, but I haven't listened to all the Sonatas by him.

I absolutely love Katchen's Brahms recordings. Such perfect voicing, in my opinion.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1997219 - 12/10/12 03:46 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Jolteon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Perth, Australia
France Clidat for Liszt and Glenn Gould for Bach. Trifonov for everything else. He's really only a child compared to the other people mentioned, but as Argerich said: "He has everything and more."

Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.

#1997220 - 12/10/12 04:01 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: Jolteon]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Each of us have our own favourites. It would be boring if we all liked the same. We all like who we like for our own reasons 3hearts

#1997235 - 12/10/12 05:06 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Who is your favourite pianist?

I don't have one. Why would I? The idea seems limiting to me, and for no good reason.

#1997237 - 12/10/12 05:14 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: wr]
HNB Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: wr

I don't have one. Why would I? The idea seems limiting to me, and for no good reason.

Limiting indeed. I think John O'Conor's remark about recordings applies here: "People who are not pianists can have favourite recordings of things; but people who are pianists need to keep their own integrity."

#1997272 - 12/10/12 08:14 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: HNB]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
[quote=HNBLimiting indeed. I think John O'Conor's remark about recordings applies here: "People who are not pianists can have favourite recordings of things; but people who are pianists need to keep their own integrity." [/quote]

Huh, interesting. I consider myself to be a pianist, and I count a couple of John O'Connor recordings among my favorites......Like most of us, I have strong views and think deeply about various facets of/in my work (whether, or not, I'm any good at it - that's not for me to decide) but I'm still a fan of many other pianist's recordings.

Even when their interpretive viewpoints are much different than mine.

I'd feel kind of glum if I ever lost the ability to be a fan (of a recording, or of individual pianists). I hope that I'm not mis-reading his statement.

The "why's," for me, are usually ephemeral in this matter. My current favorite pianist is Andras Schiff.

Edited by Gerard12 (12/10/12 08:16 AM)

#1997274 - 12/10/12 08:21 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I love Ivan Moravec's Chopin.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1997281 - 12/10/12 08:37 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
if, upon capture by the CIA, i was waterboarded and forced to pick one, it would probably be murray perahia for his clarity of purpose. if allowed to recant, it would be martha for her vivacious performances. if they still didn't believe me i would change my pick to gilels, whose transcendent expression surely the CIA would have to accept. if they still didn't believe me i'd go with horowitz for all the obvious reasons, but given he was russian i might have to pick another, and they surely couldn't argue with van cliburn who, after all, beat the ruskies at their own game.

#1997292 - 12/10/12 09:08 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: HNB]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: HNB

Limiting indeed. I think John O'Conor's remark about recordings applies here: "People who are not pianists can have favourite recordings of things; but people who are pianists need to keep their own integrity."

Not a view shared by many world class concert pianists, though when asked they usually answer with the name of a long-deceased pianist. From the many, many interviews I've heard or read, the names of Horowitz, Richter, Cortot and Schnabel come up most often....often followed by their teachers.

#1997297 - 12/10/12 09:28 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: wr]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis

Not a view shared by many world class concert pianists, though when asked they usually answer with the name of a long-deceased pianist. From the many, many interviews I've heard or read, the names of Horowitz, Richter, Cortot and Schnabel come up most often....often followed by their teachers.

That's because they are used to doing interviews and know what is expected of them.

Or not.

#1997299 - 12/10/12 09:36 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: HNB]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

What does having favorite pianists have to do with keeping integrity? A silly statement IMO. I feel the same about saying that having favorite pianist(s) is somehow "limiting".

Edited by pianoloverus (12/10/12 09:39 AM)

#1997302 - 12/10/12 09:44 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: Entheo]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Entheo
if, upon capture by the CIA, i was waterboarded and forced to pick one, it would probably be murray perahia for his clarity of purpose. if allowed to recant, it would be martha for her vivacious performances. if they still didn't believe me i would change my pick to gilels, whose transcendent expression surely the CIA would have to accept. if they still didn't believe me i'd go with horowitz for all the obvious reasons, but given he was russian i might have to pick another, and they surely couldn't argue with van cliburn who, after all, beat the ruskies at their own game.

The waterboarding will continue until you pick ONE!!! Now... who is your favorite???

mMuwahahahahaaa!!! >: )

Still want to recant? Go ahead. Make my day...

#1997304 - 12/10/12 09:46 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

What does having favorite pianists have to do with keeping integrity? A silly statement IMO. I feel the same about saying that having favorite pianist(s) is somehow "limiting".

PL is right. My favorite color is red but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the rest of the spectrum.

#1997311 - 12/10/12 10:03 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
It depends on what is being played and the quality of the recording or performance.

Happy Birthday Gerard12!

Deborah

#1997319 - 12/10/12 10:18 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
My "favourite painist?" It would definitely be my massage therapist...

As for favorite pianist......I don't have one - neither do I have a favorite composer. Way too limiting - and life is too short !!

#1997321 - 12/10/12 10:26 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Maurizio P - aristocratic intellect...

#1997328 - 12/10/12 10:53 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: carey]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: carey
As for favorite pianist......I don't have one - neither do I have a favorite composer. Way too limiting - and life is too short !!
I I think it's only limiting if one thinks having a favorite or favorites means one can only listen to that pianist. But no one said anything about that. Why do you think it's limiting?

#1997335 - 12/10/12 11:20 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
folks, think of the question as tho you were sitting around the living room with your friends playing a game in which you had to write down an answer, and have some fun with it.

the problem with serious music is that it's taken too seriously. :-)

#1997340 - 12/10/12 11:33 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I sometimes find when I hear people say things such as, "I don't have a favorite...It is limiting" to be a bit off putting, and most of the time, pseudo intellectual. I mean, how much you wanna bet some recordings are listened to more then others, but it is whatever, to each their own.

Personally I love the recordings from Murray Perahia, his since of control is amazing. I have greatly enjoyed his discs of Bach, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Mozart and Chopin.

A close second for me is the recordings of Daniel Barenboim, just some of the twists he takes with the music can be breathtaking. And his sense of timing with rubato is just perfect.

#1997341 - 12/10/12 11:33 AM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: Entheo]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I do enjoy all sorts of pianists and just heard this which I thoroughly enjoyed.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/9bkXxgtOb3Y[/video]

Here is also a version played by some piano students

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/DfL1QBObYPw[/video]

I like both

And here is Helene Grimaud. Watching this turned me into a blubbering wreck. It is so beautiful. She plays with such feeling.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/bl7emqCqV30[/video]

Edited by adultpianist (12/10/12 12:02 PM)

#1997372 - 12/10/12 01:20 PM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
I do enjoy all sorts of pianists and just heard this which I thoroughly enjoyed.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/9bkXxgtOb3Y[/video]
[...]

It's good that many of us can enjoy many different types of music, as I do, within limits, but this performance was beyond the pale, for me. Nothing but clunk, clunk, clunk! No expression, no sense of line; absolutely static and heavy!

#1997394 - 12/10/12 02:33 PM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: BruceD]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I ask everyone who criticises a musician whether they can play or play better. You obviously can play or you wouldn't be here. I liked the melody to this video.

In my earlier stages of playing, I played for someone who pulled me to pieces and that someone did not have any musical training and so I thought to myself what right do they have to criticise me and tell me I was playing it wrong when they cannot follow a score. They said that the particular piece was played in the wrong rythum and they told me they have heard it played at concerts but not played in my way. I therefore showed them the score and showed them at the bottom where it said arranged by.... I then pointed out that people take traditional music and re-arrange them slightly and I was playing it perfectly for that such arrangement. It may not be the origial arrangemet but it was as it was and I played it as such.

#1997419 - 12/10/12 03:58 PM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: adultpianist]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Given a choice, I will listen to Martha Argerich play absolutely anything. Most pianists have their strengths and weaknesses; she always finds a way to win me over no matter what the repertoire.

#1997421 - 12/10/12 04:01 PM Re: favourite painist and why [Re: pianoloverus]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: carey
I I think it's only limiting if one thinks having a favorite or favorites means one can only listen to that pianist. But no one said anything about that. Why do you think it's limiting?

Gee, I dunno......... crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, BB Player, Alex75001, 39 invisible), 1329 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157086 Topics
2306863 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
42 minutes 52 seconds ago
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
Toccata Boogie -- piano solo
by Axtremus
Today at 01:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission