Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 105 of 241 < 1 2 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 240 241 >
Topic Options
#1821142 - 01/08/12 08:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Here's my Sunday addtion, a nice pleasing background to tidying up loose ends for the week:

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1821243 - 01/08/12 11:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
went and had a look at the other seven pics beccaBb, and the "damage" is only minor /cosmetic..
It looks like the key at far right ( the one that lives next to where you put the ashtray) has been the victim of a couple of ciggies that have dropped out of an ashtray and burned it?

An easy fix, and one you can do yourself very easy and at minimal cost.

Excellent, I bet you are excited. Your tuner should be able to source you a new key top.

If you make a cushion for the bench ( Mrs R did for me) you will be able to pad it to the exact height that is right for you to sit and be comfortable.

Brilliant.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1821253 - 01/09/12 12:09 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ciggy's! Damn why didn't I think of that? (I quit in May...) I actually like all the brusies she has, gives her more character. I did the "heat a pin and put to key" test and it made a hole. Darn it. They are plastic. frown Oh well.

Hmm a padded bench seat you say? That would mean I could actually drop the height of the bench (I'm like 4 inches away from floor with my feet right now) but still be able to reach the keys... Have any pictures Rossy? Mrs. R. sounds lovely, btw.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821264 - 01/09/12 12:38 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Congrats on the new baby, Becca!

#1821265 - 01/09/12 12:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oooh I forgot. I need to tell you guys about my piano mover. I was given the name and number off the kind lady I bought the piano from. I called a few companies but ended up going with the word-of-mouth guy. Now the first phone call I was a bit put off. He rambled on about moving, tuning and refurbishing and I didn't really understand what he was going on about but was able to get a quote from him. I ended up asking him to do it simply because I was too impatient to wait 4 days for a company to get around to it.

So anyways, there was silly amounts of texting and phone calls to get it lined up for all parties involved. I show up at the house with a coffee for the previous piano owner and to meet my movers. Here's this little, hunched up elderly italian guy. I was just shocked. Really? A little hunched up elderly man. Oh my. His helper was the young one.. at around 50 or so! LOL SO I introduce myself and we chat a bit. He was just lovely. This is a man you would gladly pay any amount to. He's just so charming and pleasant to be around. So they measuure and hum and hah. They start pulling apart the paino and getting ramps and stuff ready. I go home at this point. (I couldn't bare to watch him move it.) They had to move it from a tight bedroom, through a corner into a tight hallway, out the door, round another corner, down the deck steps and across 6 feet of pure ice just to get to their moving truck.

So I'm at home just worrying that they are trapped under my 700pound piano or something. About an hour and a half later they show up and have the piano in the house in under 5 mins. We chat a bit afterwards and my main mover asks me how old I thought he was. I said 70 (with amazement.) He smiled said no, i'm 82. 82!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine. I was just amazed. He told me moving piano's keeps him young. It was a pleasure to have him move it for me and amazing. Turns out he was a piano teacher for many years and started moving piano's for his students because there was a real need for it.

He took a few minutes to play my piano. He made my piano sound good and it's drastically out of tune! The entire experience was simply wonderful. I'm glad I met him!

(Yes I have pictures but I didn't ask permission to post them. Sorry guys.)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821318 - 01/09/12 03:40 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
What a beautiful instrument, Becca! I love it. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

My website

#1821323 - 01/09/12 03:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have allways believed, and have good evidence to support the notion that what you can do in life primarily is a matter of belief.
In the west we are told as we get older.."oh you need to take it easy" OR "your not as young as you used to be" and other related negative comments.
when i was younger I had a book "The guiness book of records" In the book was the strongest man in the world... He was the strongest man for a good number of years, and he was a little stick of an Indian man.

He had the belief of strength. If you think you can move a piano, you can, me and mRs R have shifted a few on our own, outof houses, into the back of our old ambulance ( before she sadly went to the graveyard)
and out of it and into the home.

If for one minite you think "Its too heavy, I cant manage it" you wont.

The years passing should not affect the way you think about tasks... "I can do it because I have allways done it" , is the way to go.

I started to believe this when I was about sixteen, and saw pictures in a book, similar to these....

First one is an elderly lady, not wanting to be a vegatable in a care home just yet....

And the second is showing just how many BALES of tea can be carried accross the Himalayas, where the air is so thin with altitude that every foot step is an effort to those not used to it. These bales weigh HUndreds of pounds...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1821356 - 01/09/12 06:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Hey Becca, she looks very similar to my Gilbert (London): same lovely wood tones, same shapes and proportions. Mine doesn't have the swirling metal bits - are those decorative candle holders?
I'll post a pic of mine when I can find a working camera...

Glad to hear she's a girl! Does she have a name yet?

Lovely story about the piano gentleman! And also enjoyed the Satie.

#1821424 - 01/09/12 10:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: BeccaBb]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congratulations on your new arrival Becca! She's lovely, and I'm sure you are bursting with pride. I'll be back in a bit. I haven't even thought of posting yet.

#1821430 - 01/09/12 10:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We will wait griffin!! patiently, with a brew and some biscuits, and if I get bored waiting, I will tease mrs R about something, and get in trouble.

#1821434 - 01/09/12 10:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Love the photos Rossy. Those are awesome. smile

I have no idea of what to name her yet. She's a very jazzy sounding piano so far, so probably something along those lines... Thanks everyone!

Any pics of yours Eglantine? Those swirling bits are wood. smile They kinda looks like chandeliers (sp?) or something crown like.. I know the pattern has a name just can't think of it...

Edited by BeccaBb (01/09/12 10:31 AM)
Edit Reason: keep forgetting stuff lol

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821442 - 01/09/12 10:40 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Jazzabella. Why do I help folk out in the jazz department? I try to avoid it so very much, jazz really lowers my whatsit count.

Anyways there you go JAZZABELLA. original, does what it says on the tin.

#1821444 - 01/09/12 10:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh my that is perfect! There, we have a Rossy named Jazz piano, Jazzabella! Awesome!!!!!! laugh

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821448 - 01/09/12 10:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have a name for Eglantines harpsichord that was stolen by brown-shirts.
But it was bad episode and probably best forgotten.

#1821458 - 01/09/12 11:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

The bad episode sounds interesting.... hehe

and another for you cool cats...

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1821484 - 01/09/12 11:55 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My first post today, is a formidable ballad by Mott The Hoople, a very sad piano song, this was recorded live in 1974.

Called "Rose" by the way did you know there is a rose called Eglantine? The eglantine rose....
What a co-incidence....##

anyways Enjoy....

#1821529 - 01/09/12 01:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi everyone! I seem to have a cantakerous desktop computer today that is slow. Anyway, not sure how much posting I can do today. This one posting is called "Beautiful." It is performed by India Arie. Enjoy!

#1821561 - 01/09/12 02:36 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi folks.

I’m listening to these last songs, and I like them. I hope you all are doing well, my friends.

My website

#1821566 - 01/09/12 02:48 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Recaredo! I'm glad I saw your post. I was just about to start my piano practice. Things are going well. I'm going back to work tomorrow. I'm just enjoying the last of my extended holiday. Hope you are well.

BTW, are you going to use the colorful badge Mrs. R. made for us? You are a major contributor to the thread. Just sayin! smile

I'm off to the piano to see how much progress I'm making. I'll be back shortly.

#1821569 - 01/09/12 02:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Done! It's a nice avatar, without doubt.

My website

#1821624 - 01/09/12 04:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: Recaredo
Done! It's a nice avatar, without doubt.
Only problem is now I can't tell whose posting what by just glancing at the avatars. I have to actually read your names crazy

#1821625 - 01/09/12 04:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

It looks great Recaredo! The Rossy avatar becomes you! smile I guess I am going to skip doing any further postings today. I am running out of time and my computer is running really slow today. Instead, I'm going to continue piano practice and take short breaks. I have a lot of piano work to get accomplished in 2012! I'll be back shortly.

#1821911 - 01/10/12 12:46 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If anyone is having trouble with not seeing the badge, OR it being slow to load, Mrs R has also uploaded it to flicker.
It is possible that imageshack may be experiencing slowness problems.

Anyways, flicker is stable so here is the link if you have a problem.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6671512249_6f23958865_t.jpg

So far though, only one person has told me about a problem, so it may be that it is their computer being slow.

Onwards and upwards.

Its very early in the morning here, 5.42 am, and today we have to do the fortnightly food shop, so I will be away till noon.

I hate this, I hate shopping trolleys except when they are used for alternative things like trolley racing or turned on their sides and a fire lit in them , and then the top used for a barbecue grill.

Apparently, you are not actually allowed to do this in Asda carparks.

I dont see why not though, after all you have paid a pound to get the trolley, and there is no sign saying "No using the trolleys for barbecues"

why do they have to make things difficult for us? Having to wait to get home to eat the chicken we just bought there.

#1821924 - 01/10/12 01:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Rossy! I was just about to turn in for the evening when I decided to check in one last time. Here you are! I'll probably be in the bed by the time you receive this. Alas, my extended holiday has ended. It's midnight here, and I'm back to work tomorrow.

Before I go to sleep I've been meaning to ask you about shopping trolleys. What are they exactly? Are they public transport to get you to the market...or something?? I've never heard of them.

Good night Rossy! I'll look forward to an explanation soon!

#1821946 - 01/10/12 02:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hya Griffin, and a good evening to you! Sorry, I think in the USA shopping trolleys are called "shopping carts"

Anyways, here is a picture of one, on its side, ready to have a fire lit inside it, so the top can be used for a barbecue griddle.

or alternatively, it can be used on top of the fire like this:

Edited by Rostosky (01/10/12 02:07 AM)

#1821964 - 01/10/12 03:35 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hi there, mind peeking into Rossy land? I could not resist. It's funny that there are so much differences between English and American English. I got into strange situations over it when I worked in our Brighton office.

My apologies, it's a long story.. It started out when American Airline lost my luggage. I only had what I had on when I was traveling - Jeans and comfy sweat shirt. I was only going to stay in Brighton for 2 weeks, so I decided to tough it out. I wore same clothing every day for about 3 days. People did not appreciate my frugality. Mind you, I washed what I could wash. Anyway, a secretary for a VP told me that Company has money for situations like this so I was given 250 GBP for clothing. She also told me to go to the M&S at Shoreham immediately and gave me a taxi docket for that. It was a fantastic store. Immediately after I set my foot in the store, I noticed a bitching pair of boots for about 200 GBP. The rest is a history. I bought the boots and decided to buy cheap clothing using the rest of the money. After all I have clothing at home. I went to a store called Happit where they keep clothing for old women. I got a couple of tacky nylon browses and 2 pairs of trousers with elastic band instead of tailored fit ones that I normally buy. I went to the office next day in my new clothing and boots. My good friend John noticed my shiny boots and new clothing right away. So, I told them the story. I said, " .... I went to Happit and got myself a pair of old women pants with elastics waist.. (since they are laughing, i added) .. Well, they are not very fashionable but comfy to take a nappy nap in" Everyone was busting out. I did not understand why. John explained to me, pants = knickers (underwear) and Nappy = Diapers in UK. So it was hysterical.. they all pictured me in old women elastic waste underwear, you know, those big mama pants... and having diapers...
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1822033 - 01/10/12 08:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: FarmGirl]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi Farm Girl! I enjoyed your story, and it certainly was not too long. I was glad to see your post, and I hope you will post again some time. There are so many differences between English and American English. It's tempting to tell a few stories about some of my experiences. However, it will have to wait. I don't have much time for my postings. I have to get ready for work shortly.

I'll be right back!

#1822040 - 01/10/12 08:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
...two countries separated by a common language... confused

#1822044 - 01/10/12 09:01 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good Morning everyone! Rossy, thanks for the shopping trolley explanation. Yup! We call them shopping carts in America. I don't hate them, however, unless it's hard to separate them from the other shopping carts. So what did a shopping trolley do to you to make you dislike them so?

I better quickly post before I make myself late for work! Let's start with Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here."

#1822046 - 01/10/12 09:09 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

When my mam went out, to first canada and then the states in the 1950's , she got a job in the aircraft industry. One morning after a heavy weekend she asked one of the neighbours to make sure she got up in the morning on time.

When she got into work the guys said to her "ah, you got up in time then"

My mam said out loud in a crowded office, "yes one of the neighbours knocked me up"

It went silent. Apparently it does not mean the same as over here.

Up untill victorian times over here there were professional "knockers" who for a small fee , would "knock you up" in a morning.

I believe they had a pole and would tap on your window with it.

Page 105 of 241 < 1 2 ... 103 104 105 106 107 ... 240 241 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Canon in D in 2+ parts/voices
by kobethuy
09/21/14 02:50 PM
Advice on Hammer purchase.
by plns
09/21/14 01:37 PM
Light Hammers- Computer Analysis of 3 Grand Piano Actions
by chernobieff
09/21/14 01:12 PM
Kawai AT-120 47" From 1995?
by johnntran123
09/21/14 01:11 PM
Marche Funèbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
09/21/14 10:09 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, alans, 48 invisible), 1461 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76277 Members
42 Forums
157670 Topics
2315935 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission