Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1996434 - 12/08/12 02:29 PM Different Sharps width?
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
After struggling at my piano teacher's studio on one particular piece she assigned me for three lessons (which I played well at home) I think I discovered the reason. Could it be that the sharps on my piano (a newer Ritmuller Grand) are narrower than her older upright?

Just wondering.

Jonathan

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1996457 - 12/08/12 03:18 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There is no standard for key width or length, so yes, it is possible that they are slightly different.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1996637 - 12/08/12 11:08 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
The spacing between the sharps, particularly in the groups of three is, indeed problematic for some pianists on some pianos. And often we, as technicians, simply have to do something about it, particularly when faced with an emotionally immature pianist who might be refusing to play an otherwise world class piano.

This subject has come up before and I am surprised than nobody has yet mentioned this fix, it being so readily apparent an' all. You will find evidence of it on many concert pianos.

The easiest way is to alter the spacing of every F# and Bb in the appropriate direction. Any competent technician knows how to do this without damaging anything and it can be done in just a few minutes in pianos where the underside of the keys is readily accessible.

Yes. It makes the location of these particular notes a bit offset looking in their slots between the white keys as simplistic pedants will be quick to point out. It is a trade off depending on whether the piano is to be played or looked at. This adjustment is, of course, completely reversible for those whose priorities are less practical.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1996647 - 12/08/12 11:33 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Not sure what problems your struggling with? When you become used to playing the same piano with constant seat height and keyboard height, it can be difficult to adjust to different seat and keyboard height combination.

#1996650 - 12/08/12 11:35 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
rxd is talking about the spacing between the sharps (it's always narrower between the F#/G#/A# than between C#/D#). Jonathan may be talking about the width of the sharps on their tops, finding it difficult to land on the key. Can you clarify?

Another variance is the height of the sharps above the naturals.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#1996827 - 12/09/12 09:31 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Jonathan Alford Offline

What I struggle with on my instructor's piano is fitting my middle finger between a couple of sharps when playing a few chords on some pieces.

Playing the sharps is not an issue.

The height might be different, but I have not noticed that.

Thanks for the replies,

Jonathan

#1996844 - 12/09/12 10:06 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Jonathan,

Are you referring to something like an E-flat major chord where the middle finger G falls between two black keys? (Eb-G-Bb)

The width, or the exact pyramid shape of the black keys, is not standard from piano make to piano make. It could even be different on models from the same manufacturer. There really is no mechanical solution since the problem is playing your teacher's piano and not your own.

I would suggest discussing this with your teacher. It may be an issue with your hand placement when playing in various keys. This could be a valuable learning experience about how to adapt to differing keyboards.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1996852 - 12/09/12 10:28 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Are you referring to something like an E-flat major chord where the middle finger G falls between two black keys? (Eb-G-Bb)

Yes - this is what is happening. I did mention it at my last lesson - I will let her know my findings at my next lesson to see what she recommends.

Thanks,

Jonathan

#1996874 - 12/09/12 11:16 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford

Yes - this is what is happening. I did mention it at my last lesson - I will let her know my findings at my next lesson to see what she recommends.

Interesting. Have you checked all the spaces between the sharps on your piano? I have just done this on mine by sliding my middle finger, flat on the white key, into them. They vary. My finger goes into some and catches on the first joint on others.

I suppose the narrower spaces could be widened slightly by spacing the outer sharps but, as Marty says, one has to adapt to different pianos.

Edited by Withindale (12/09/12 02:20 PM)
Edit Reason: "spacing"

#1996878 - 12/09/12 11:27 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
It is not that the width of the black keys varies, it is the placement of the tails of the white keys.

#1996915 - 12/09/12 12:37 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Whatever the cause, you will encounter variations from piano to piano. So it's best to learn how to adjust your playing to make it work for you, which may mean avoiding certain key signatures or pieces in the case where your fingers are too large to fit between black keys.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1996944 - 12/09/12 01:53 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Withindale]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Withindale

I suppose the narrower spaces could be widened slightly by easing the outer sharps but, as Marty says, one has to adapt to different pianos.

I have not made myself quite clear. The additional space is definately not achieved by 'easing' the keys.. . That would just make them sloppy. As I said, an 'experienced' tech would know how to do this in the usual manner of spacing keys. There are compensatory adjustments and there are limits to this that a tech with an understanding of the gestalt of a piano action will grasp.

Yes, it is a difficulty that the OP's own piano is fine but your teachers piano gives you a problem.

You are being told, in so many words, 'live with it' or adapt your technique to it, which could be dangerous to the musculature of somebody with wide fingers. I belong to a branch of my profession that never says 'live with it' without good reason... Really good reason ...yet the consensus here is for you to make the necessary hand contortions to accommodate an unusual keyboard configuration.

There are many pianists who have very wide fingers and those manufacturers who don't consider this at all. It is often reasons like this why a perfectly good piano is not selected by a good player simply because the keyboard is uncomfortable to play. The whole ludicrous situation in the profession and trade reminds me of an hilarious joke but it's not PC so I can't repeat it.

It is unfortunate enough that we have to use a standard length of octave. Curiously enough, one of the few manufacturers who have experimented with shortening the length of the octave is the very one that at the time, was gaining a stranglehold on the concert market and has since hung on to it. The fact that it didn't take on has nothing to do with the fact that they did at least try to accommodate requests from their players as they have dealt with this particular problem.

Thank you for bringing this subject up. True, there is no standard but piano builders can look to manufacturers who don't present this problem to players and follow their lead.

Edited by rxd (12/09/12 01:57 PM)

Eschew obfuscation.

#1996952 - 12/09/12 02:16 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: rxd]

Originally Posted By: rxd

I have not made myself quite clear. The additional space is definately not achieved by 'easing' the keys.. . That would just make them sloppy. As I said, an 'experienced' tech would know how to do this in the usual manner of spacing keys. There are compensatory adjustments and there are limits to this that a tech with an understanding of the gestalt of a piano action will grasp.

Yes, it is a difficulty that the OP's own piano is fine but your teachers piano gives you a problem.

You are being told, in so many words, 'live with it' or adapt your technique to it, which could be dangerous to the musculature of somebody with wide fingers. I belong to a branch of my profession that never says 'live with it' without good reason... Really good reason ...yet the consensus here is for you to make the necessary hand contortions to accommodate an unusual keyboard configuration.

There are many pianists who have very wide fingers and those manufacturers who don't consider this at all. It is often reasons like this why a perfectly good piano is not selected by a good player simply because the keyboard is uncomfortable to play. The whole ludicrous situation in the profession and trade reminds me of an hilarious joke but it's not PC so I can't repeat it.

It is unfortunate enough that we have to use a standard length of octave. Curiously enough, one of the few manufacturers who have experimented with shortening the length of the octave is the very one that at the time, was gaining a stranglehold on the concert market and has since hung on to it. The fact that it didn't take on has nothing to do with the fact that they did at least try to accommodate requests from their players as they have dealt with this particular problem.

Thank you for bringing this subject up. True, there is no standard but piano builders can look to manufacturers who don't present this problem to players and follow their lead.

So what do you suggest, that the teacher pay to adjust her piano to accommodate one student's issues? What if by doing that it causes issues for her other students with smaller hands? What if it is more a matter of personal preference, or inability on the part of the student to adjust to the different feel and it's not a matter of his fingers not fitting?

Really, if it is a case of the latter, then the teacher knows the problem and can consider that when listening to the student. More often than not, a student will complain about a teacher's piano no matter how good it is because it's not what they practiced on and are accustomed to. A good teacher understands this and can tell when a student has practiced and is struggling with dealing with the instrument vs. just not being able to play something.

Edited by Morodiene (12/09/12 02:17 PM)

#1996959 - 12/09/12 02:27 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Minnesota Marty Offline

So, if I understand what the tech from across the pond is saying, Jonathan should insist that his teacher buy a new piano for his use at lessons.

You are being told, in so many words, 'live with it' or adapt your technique to it, which could be dangerous to the musculature of somebody with wide fingers. ...yet the consensus here is for you to make the necessary hand contortions to accommodate an unusual keyboard configuration.

Obviously from someone who doesn't play the piano and certainly not a piano teacher. There is nothing "ludicrous" about discussing proper hand position and technique for playing in various keys.

I look forward to an analysis of the "unusual keyboard configuration" of the instructor's piano. Perhaps something with only white keys would be preferable?

#1996965 - 12/09/12 02:50 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Morodiene]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

So what do you suggest, that the teacher pay to adjust her piano to accommodate one student's issues?

First, I missed your original post, rxd, partly because Jonathan's agreement to Marty's clarification of the problem seemed to follow on from Jonathan's original question. No matter, what you said was perfectly clear.

Second, there are at least three Bb keys and the odd F# on my piano which could be spaced a bit. The outer gaps, Bb-B and and F-F#, are a bit wider than the ones on the other side of the sharp in each case. If I were a teacher, I would have these adjustments made once I was made aware of the problem.

Edited by Withindale (12/09/12 03:30 PM)

#1996978 - 12/09/12 03:27 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, Ian, I have often seen this on pianos, even some of the 'best'. Very often the G# can be more central in its slot also. Sorry for the confusion there.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1996987 - 12/09/12 03:52 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Marty and Morodiene,

I seem have rattled some cages here. I read a lot of jumping to conclusions, pitiful attempts at reduction to the absurd, (such a common cheap arguing technique, it has a Latin name) and attempts to put words into my mouth.

Neither of you are giving me anything of substance to either agree with or refute, just vague accusations.

Please consider your arguments, express them cogently and with less emotion-driven language, remember you are volunteering to represent the teachers' angle here, so think of your colleagues, represent them well and I, in turn, will gladly give you more of my time.

Remember we are dealing with a not uncommon subject of thicker than average fingers here.

Edited by rxd (12/09/12 03:58 PM)

Eschew obfuscation.

#1997001 - 12/09/12 04:37 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
gsmonks Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Want to see plenty of space between keys? Check out a Bluthner. Skinny black keys, low action.

The gap between keys is an issue for lots of pianists and is a deal-breaker for many trying out pianos. Same goes for key height.

I used to hate my dad's old 1910 Heintzman because the gaps were too small. The Pischna contracted chromatic exercises weren't do-able at all.

#1997007 - 12/09/12 04:52 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Just to clarify, I am NOT complaining about my instructor's instrument. I was just wondering if I could be correct in my conclusion that key spacing can be different.

Thanks for all the attention to my question.

Morodiene could be correct as I am a low intermediate pianist and could possibly just be struggling with an instrument that is different from my own.

Jonathan

#1997008 - 12/09/12 04:53 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Minnesota Marty Offline

rxd,

No, I didn't put words into your mouth - I quoted your hyperbole.

A simple question was asked by Jonathan; "Could it be that the sharps on my piano (a newer Ritmuller Grand) are narrower than her older upright?" The consensus answer was simply; "Yes."

How to approach the situation is best left to a discussion with the teacher. It needn't be a harangue about altering the geometry of the keyboard or of unusual and contrived hand positioning at the keyboard. In the example chord I chose, it might be as simple as altering the depth of the strike point of the thumb on the Eb.

How on earth would you know the thickness of Jonathan's fingers?

#1997026 - 12/09/12 05:46 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Karl Watson Offline

Funny, this.

I have a particular affection for vintage (Boston) Mason & Hamlin keyboards, as the accidentals (sharps) feel wide and oh so comfortable to me.

Amongst modern pianos, Fazioli, in particular, feels very narrow, with sharp, uncomfortable edges.

I'm told that the old Masons could be problematic for pianists with thick fingers, one Boston shop specialising in changing the Mason accidentals for those of slightly narrower dimensions.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

#1997036 - 12/09/12 06:11 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Tmoose Offline

Loc: Washington State
I have a friend with a Baldwin Acrosonic console piano from, probably, the 1950's and the entire keyboard is narrower than normal, making the whole piano slightly smaller, width-wise. It is disconcerting to play to say the least when the muscle-memory is accustomed to 'standard' dimensions.
1906 Steinway B (#124401)

#1997056 - 12/09/12 07:09 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Here I am wishing for smaller keys. 45" or 46" inch compass, as opposed to the regular 48"and spacing between sharps and naturals to my liking.

I could get a custom keyboard, or even modify one myself. Lots of time and money involved.

In the meantime, I work with what I got.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1997066 - 12/09/12 07:30 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
M&H with Rosewood keys has a wider gap (narrower keys).

#1997138 - 12/09/12 10:27 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Men typically have much wider finger widths than women, so you and your teacher might have to find different fingering for you on some of those troublesome chords. We all have to struggle with our finger and hand dimensions. Big hands can reach big chords but have a harder time squeezing between the sharps.

My hands are larger, but I still struggle to reach a 10 key chord.

Best of luck!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1997236 - 12/10/12 05:07 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
rxd,

No, I didn't put words into your mouth

Of course you did!

So, if I understand what the tech from across the pond is saying, Jonathan should insist that his teacher buy a new piano for his use at lessons.

Absolutely nowhere in this thread did rxd make any such ridiculous suggestion.

Obviously from someone who doesn't play the piano

How would you ever know?

Besides, rxd indicated that wide fingers are a common problem, and that many a good instrument is passed by a good player because of this. It's not as though his comments on this state of affairs, or suggestions on possible remedies, are totally harebrained.

I look forward to an analysis of the "unusual keyboard configuration" of the instructor's piano.

rxd already indicated where the configuration of the three adjacent sharps can be problematic, and how it can be adjusted within reasonable limits. There was no talk of "insisting on a new piano".

And then you top it all, by suggesting

Perhaps something with only white keys would be preferable?

As rxd said: reductio ad absurdum.

It stinks.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1997269 - 12/10/12 08:12 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]

I'm still waiting to hear what rxd is suggesting the teacher do (see my previous post).

As far as the comment about wide fingers being a common problem, I have been teaching piano for 13 years, and I have only ever encountered one student whose fingers were wide enough where there was an issue. It wasn't just on my piano, but his own as well where he ran into this problem (as soon as we started playing chords like E-flat major). I had him play the chord with 1-2-4 fingering as finger 2 wasn't as wide as 3. Other possible solutions would be to redistribute the chord among the fingers so that one hand plays the black keys and the other plays the white, or even dropping the unimportant 5th of the chord. None of these options are weird contortions of the hand as rxd assumed, and they are the same kinds of things that we with smaller hands have to do when we can't play what's on the page.

Of course, any such solutions would have to be the only way the OP practiced, even on his piano at home otherwise other problems with muscle memory could arise. So the decision to do this would have to be weighed against how much the OP cares about the problem with the teacher's piano, or if he could potentially be playing this piece on an unfamiliar instrument for a performance and should therefore plan on there being this issue just in case.

The solution all depends on the person and the piece of music in question, so I suggest the OP informs his teacher of the problem if he hasn't done so already. I'm sure she'll be able to figure something out. smile

#1997332 - 12/10/12 11:03 AM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Morodienne

I will grace your question with an answer.

I hope you will note that, as a seasoned professional musician, teacher and counsellor, I make a point of never giving advice. I am usually careful to only outline the possibilities and let others take from what I offer as they will. You may wait for ever to hear me give advice concerning what others should or shouldn't do.

Do me a favor, Please read my post again, accurately, as you would a piece of ultra-modern music, and, if at any point I have actually given anybody any concrete advice, please inform me, quoting the exact terminology I have used. I am not infallible and I am always open to a bit of proof reading, particularly when there is a cultural difference.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1997378 - 12/10/12 01:52 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: rxd]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
" The whole ludicrous situation in the profession and trade reminds me of an hilarious joke but it's not PC so I can't repeat it."

We`ll not sleep tonight if we don`t hear it . . .

""

#1997380 - 12/10/12 02:00 PM Re: Different Sharps width? [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It is fun reading through these. Like being at a "debate" in the House of Commons. .. .!

The solution is simple. A small grinder . . . and a steady hand!

Edited by peterws (12/10/12 02:01 PM)

""

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, ando, accordeur, Al LaPorte, 41 invisible), 1911 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
07/29/14 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
07/29/14 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
07/29/14 02:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission