2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Oops. forgot something regarding the 'coiled cable'. If you are using coiled cable headphones, just remember that you may possibly end up supporting all that coiled cable weight dangling from one ear. This may bother you. It may not.

I got the straight (non coiled) cable so when I play my digital piano only about 3 feet of cable is supported by one headphone cup with the remaining 8 feet just lying (and supported) by the floor. Also, with a coiled cable, you may experience a slight 'tug' when using the headphones if you walk away from your headphone source more than a very short distance. This really is no big deal but the weak spot in the ATH-M50s is that the cable is NOT replaceable so I'm not looking for a way to stress out the cable connection by tugging on a coiled cable or having constant unsupported weight hanging from it.

But that's just me. Maybe I'm starting to get a little anal! haha.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I really miss those Julian Hirsch and Gladden Houck reviews. They debunked a lot of the nonsense that many audiophiles still believe. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
D
I like the coiled version because I have a small studio and have enough guitar and mic cables laying around as it is. The coil keeps it from getting tangled up and is much neater.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
After tugging the life out of several cords I adopted the routine of removing headphones when I move away from the source.

I have been able to use my older model of Sennheisers for 20 years in part because I eliminated a few things like falling asleep wearing them (lying down listening to music with headphones this is tough), keeping them on when moving away from the source, not playing them too loud, etc. It also helps if you hang the cord over your back rather than dangling forward to prevent snagging them on things like a chair arm or the instrument (guitar with or without strap more so than keyboards). The weight of a coiled cord has seemed to work against its benefits.

Last edited by o0Ampy0o; 12/09/12 06:34 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
I got the straight (non coiled) cable so when I play my digital piano only about 3 feet of cable is supported by one headphone cup with the remaining 8 feet just lying (and supported) by the floor. Also, with a coiled cable, you may experience a slight 'tug' when using the headphones if you walk away from your headphone source more than a very short distance. This really is no big deal but the weak spot in the ATH-M50s is that the cable is NOT replaceable so I'm not looking for a way to stress out the cable connection by tugging on a coiled cable or having constant unsupported weight hanging from it.

I got the straight cable also. Because it was cheaper when I was making the purchase. smile

K
K
Items Ordered Price
1 of: Audio-Technica ATHM50S Professional Monitor Headphones
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$115.95

smile

F
F
I got my M50s coming next week...can't wait! Anyway, I thought I will 'coil' the cable myself, just to roll it up enough so the weight is still supported on the floor but also out the way, and gonna use a velcro tie or something to hold the coil together.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations you guys. I just received my new headphones yesterday and they sound INCREDIBLE! Of course, with all the hype and anticipation two sea shells held together with a coat hanger bent over my head would probably have sounded good! (Placebo effect). haha.

Anyway, this thread was originally about choosing a 'compatible' set of headphones for the power source that is driving it. This is where OHMs/impedance comes in. Since I've discussed this to death already, I'm going to go back to the headphone discussion since I'm really stoked with these new phones. Here are some of my thoughts so far...

Sound Quality: As stated, the Audio Technica ATH-M50s ('s' stands for straight cord) are simply AMAZING. Why?, because they give a very full and flat linear response (currently, UN-broken in) across the entire range. I suspect that the bass response will increase a bit after they are properly broken in but right now the response across the board is very accurate and un-colored. I can see that these may be just oh so slightly bass colored since they are so neutral (but very responsive) right now.

When using these new headphones on my $5000 digital piano (Roland KR-7), it made me realize that Roland put $4,999 into the piano and the rest into the speakers! Sadly, I'm not entirely kidding.

When using the digital with the headphones on, besides the obvious of no one being able to hear me play late at night, the sound reproduction vs the DP built in speakers is literally night and day. So far apart that it is not even fair to compare them as they are just too different. Think of it as comparing being in the front row of your favorite artists live concert as opposed to listening to the same song being pumped into an elevator. It's just not the same.

I am hearing all kinds of new sounds in my music (like fingers squeaking down guitar strings, throat clearing by the singer, piano hammer action clicking) and much much more.

While 'open' headphones sound excellent and some say better than the 'closed' type as they may provide a larger sound stage....meaning an open and 'airy' sound. Many reviewers have said that these particular pair of closed cans sound very good and I agree.

I personally like the closed headphones for two reasons:

1.) The reason I'm wearing headphones in the first place is that
I don't want others to hear me or be bothered by the sound.

2.) I want to listen to my music at night when I can't sleep without disturbing my wife. Note to self; significantly lower the backlit brightness level on the Sansa Clip Zip screen display as it will light up the room at night.

I am now listening to near audiophile quality sound with just my $34 Sansa Clip Zip (currently on sale at Best Buy) along with my $100-ish pair of studio monitor headphones. Seriously, for under $150 bucks, I am really listening to some great quality and sounding stuff.

My only concern is that if you get a pair of headphones with a straight cable, you DO have a LOT of cord to deal with. It's not a problem though as I've decided to simply clip the cord using a small alligator type clip to my shirt. This way, NO amount of cord is being supported by one ear cup and the excess just sits neatly on the floor.

You guys that just purchased a good pair of cans are going to be so happy when you finally hear them. My advice to you is to get some really good music ready so when they arrive you will be ready to audition them with great sounding stuff since you're probably going to be up all night playing with them anyway!

Also, don't forget that the bass takes some time to fully wear in which is why your new cans will sound neutral (UN-colored, as in NO enhancements anywhere) until a few weeks go by. Lots of people like this somewhat neutral sound as it represents the music accurately without any added musical MSG! Personally, I like just a tiny bit of added color in the bass but ONLY at very low volume levels as it seems to make the music sound just a bit warmer.

I am especially excited for you guys that are getting high quality headphones for the very first time as you are going to notice such an incredible difference in your music. These kinds of 'huge' differences don't come around often and when they do, you usually have a bittersweet reaction to them. That being elated with your new purchase (the high), but then there is also the feeling of buyers remorse, (the low), since after your new purchase you are usually broke...(buzzkill !)

This is one of those rare situations in which you are not only very happy with your purchase, but everyone is happy because peace is restored in the family once again, and you still have enough cash leftover to take everyone out to dinner at Outback steakhous. Yummy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I am hearing all kinds of new sounds in my music (like fingers squeaking down guitar strings, throat clearing by the singer, piano hammer action clicking) and much much more.

Yuck. I'd send them back!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Agreed. Unless you're listening to "John Cage's greatest hits", I'd be inclined to send those headphones back. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

...and passing this right back obtained from an independent audio review source, NOT the mfg!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20061153-47.html

And as far as hearing small subtle sounds like guitar frets, violin strings, breathing etc, I think your right as nobody wants that.

For Sale: Brand new headphones only capable of producing creepy-yucky sounds. Hardly used. p.m me for price.

Last edited by Mr Super-Hunky; 12/10/12 08:48 PM.
I'm joking of course.

Actually, I'm actually quite a fan of those 'bonus' sounds. wink

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm joking of course.

Actually, I'm actually quite a fan of those 'bonus' sounds. wink

I know you are James. I am too. I was listening last night to several different genres of music. Everything from xX 'Intro' to Manheim Steamrollers Fresh Aire series. The subtle hidden sounds are just so cool to hear. Sometimes I hear entire extended melodies that were originally played so soft I never knew they were there. It's kind of an extra bonus you get once you pony up for some real cans.

I particularly love live soul albums recorded in intimate venues - for example Curtis Mayfield and Donny Hathaway (1971 and 1972 respectively, I believe...). When wearing noise cancelling headphones, I can close my eyes and imagine I'm in the audience - those recordings are drenched with atmosphere!

K
K
Those with Sennheiser headphones, can other people hear what you are playing clearly? In other words, If I put a pair of those on to play in the midnight, does it distract my family? Thanks in advance.

D
D
Originally Posted by Kenboi2
Those with Sennheiser headphones, can other people hear what you are playing clearly? In other words, If I put a pair of those on to play in the midnight, does it distract my family? Thanks in advance.

For open headphones in general it depends almost entirely on your volume level. At my normal listening level you can't hear them unless you're within a couple feet of them. If I've turned it up to enjoy a specific song then you can probably recognize the song from across the room.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
D
D
Oh, and while the ATH-M50s are certainly quite good for the price, here's what their FR graph looks like vs something a bit more truly neutral:

Code
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=3231

...well I just spent way too long trying to get the image to work but the forum really doesn't like those []s in the link...you'll have to copy/paste if you want to see the graph.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
F
F

Ye, and to prepare for this, I'm in the process of ripping all my CDs to 320kbps mp3s or FLAC, and bought a sound card to get off the onboard sound too...

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kenboi2

Not even close. I'm not sure why people talk about sound leaking out. I have played piano with my wife sitting right next to me in silence and she couldn't hear it. You'd have to REALLY crank the volume in order for people to hear what you are playing in any meaningful sense. I mean, the volume would have to be at ear-shattering levels.

I think the idea of open headphones leaking out comes from people who have basically deafened themselves and are listening to booming pop music beats at unreasonable levels on subways. When playing digital piano, the clicking or thumping of the keys is at least an order of magnitude louder to a third party in the room than sounds from an pair of open headphones are.

The concern with open headphones is not sound leaking out, but sound leaking in. The whirr of your computer fan, the thumping of your piano action, your air conditioner, horns honking outside, people talking in the next room. All these things are clearly audible while you have a pair of open headphones on.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/11/12 12:16 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission