2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 4g63mr
while I understand technically what it means to have multilevel sampling, I don't play well enough to make use of it and honestly cant tell it is there.

It is designed so that hitting a key more gently not only makes it quieter, but also changes the timbre to sound softer (and vice versa)... but multisampling is not the only way to get that effect, nor does more multisampling (more layers) always sound better than a piano with less. And in fact, while gvfarns apparently disagrees, personally, I found the single layer Yamaha P95 to sound better overall than the 4-layer PX-330. So this gets back to what I always say... choose based on what your ears and fingers tell you, not what the spec sheet tells you.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by 4g63mr
while I understand technically what it means to have multilevel sampling, I don't play well enough to make use of it and honestly cant tell it is there.

It is designed so that hitting a key more gently not only makes it quieter, but also changes the timbre to sound softer (and vice versa)... but multisampling is not the only way to get that effect, nor does more multisampling (more layers) always sound better than a piano with less. And in fact, while gvfarns apparently disagrees, personally, I found the single layer Yamaha P95 to sound better overall than the 4-layer PX-330. So this gets back to what I always say... choose based on what your ears and fingers tell you, not what the spec sheet tells you.

I couldn't agree more. That was more my point B. To me, I understand it. I don't play well enough to make use of it. So I buy on what "I" think feels and sounds best when im playing, err poking, in my case at the keys.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
And in fact, while gvfarns apparently disagrees, personally, I found the single layer Yamaha P95 to sound better overall than the 4-layer PX-330.

I wouldn't necessary say I disagree with you on this one. I'd have to play them side by side to really agree. Basically I don't think much of either piano from the video, so it's hard to say which I like "better."

In general a multi-layer piano will sound and respond better than a single-layer version of the same piano. But that ceteris paribus condition is not met here. And as you point out, Yamaha does some kind of processing to add a little flavor to the timbre as velocity goes up. Good points.

J
J
I have played both the Yamaha and Casio and have decided that the PX150 is for me. I have also considered buying the Bluthner Digital Model One sample libraries after careful listening. Three quick questions.

Is it absolutely necessary to use this through a computer? If so, can headphones be plugged into the keyboard headphone out? Would a lowly netbook be powerful enough for this endeavor?

Last edited by PianoIsLife; 12/13/12 05:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano libraries can ONLY be run on a computer.
A lowly netbook might not be adequate.
And even if it were the screen is too small for some of the library applications.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I would say pass on the netbook. Computers have gotten faster and more capable so that capability isn't much of a problem for VST's, but netbooks are kind of the exception. Think of them like Pentium III's or something. They work, but there's a huge difference between them and what we normally call a computer or laptop.

I'm pretty sure I've heard people complaining about netbooks not being able to drive their VST's. I recall that I tried using mine with TruePianos, Pianissimo, and PianoTeq when I was first testing the VST waters and the netbook was far from up to the task.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/13/12 05:59 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoIsLife
Would a lowly netbook be powerful enough for this endeavor?

Maybe one of the newer ones with an AMD APU, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230365

Put an SSD in it!

Last edited by dewster; 12/13/12 07:08 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
I received my Casio PX350 last night, as well as the stand and pedal unit for the piano. I am a bit sad to say that this piano has the same vibration issues that others have mentioned here on the forum. The vibration issue is not horrible, but I can see how it could be a bit of a nuisance. I'll have to play around with it a bit more tonight and let you know what keys are causing the vibration, but there are definitely at least 2 keys and the left speaker that cause some sort of vibration around the left speaker when the volume is at a moderate or high level, when played in the Grand Concert setting. Last night, I was on the fence about returning it, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, given that I could potentially still end up with a unit that has the same vibration (or worse). It would be nice if Casio could look into this and offer a DIY fix that owners could do in their own home.

I will report back later tonight with further details.

T
T
sumognat, I bought PX-350 also, never heard any buzzing, but I was aware of that issue so looked at it carefully.

Last night after rehearsal (on which I had to carry my dp) I got back, turned on this morning and heard the buzz... I knew there was no chance that I hit it somewhere during the transport so started to look around.

I found out that buzzing was coming from AC cord, it was vibrating and hitting case of the piano smile I moved it a bit and ALL IS FINE NOW. No buzzing at all. And for the piano itself: it's simply great (for a newbie like me wink ).

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Trigg,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts--I will check to make sure the AC cord isn't causing it, but it definitely appears to be vibration inside the piano, under the left speaker. Regardless, I will check to make sure. smile

I do agree with you, despite this, that it is a very nicely put together piano (including the stand and pedals) at a good price--especially for a newbie like me, too. smile

Last edited by sumognat; 12/19/12 01:10 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Re the buzzing, if it only happens on certain notes, that suggests some sort of volume resonance in the machine. Acoustically, resonances are caused by reflections of the waves inside the volume. The way to fix that is to change the conditions at the boundaries (to make them harder/softer, more rigid/less rigid, etc...) I had a similar problem with my Yamaha P250. Certain notes would cause this horrible ringing sound that just grated on my nerves. I found that simply loosening the screws holding the side that was ringing greatly reduced the problem (presumably it made the boundaries less rigid). Had that not worked I would have tried wedging some thin rubber dam in as shim to reduce the vibration. Now I'm quite happy with the sound. I don't know if this is something that might work with the casio or not, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
H
H
It is not the wire or some other out of box things cause the vibration issue. I put my px 350 on the carpet, it still makes buzzing sound from the left speaker for the same notes.

It is quite related to temperature and humidy. In some rainy and cold weather, the buzzing note will shift downwards or disappear completely, but some higher key start to buzz the right speaker. But in sunny day, the left speaker start to buzz again.

I have returned my PX 350 two times and they finally admit the defect and don't bother any further return/

Last edited by helloworld1; 12/19/12 03:33 PM.
L
L
Does the key action on the p155 is better than Casio offerings? I am not using the internal sounds

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by login
Does the key action on the p155 is better than Casio offerings? I am not using the internal sounds

Personally, I'd prefer the Casio action. But even if most of us here prefer one or the other, that doesn't tell you which you'll prefer. It's entirely a matter of personal opinion, you need to try both. That said, I can tell you that there are some technical advantages in using a Casio as a controller for an external piano sound... triple sensor, high resolution MIDI velocity sensing.

B
B
login: if you don't care about the internal sounds the best value choice is easily a casio px150, hands down. Otherwise the next logical choice price-wise would be a vpc1. I just don't see yamaha in the equation given those parameters.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Right, if it's *only*being used as a controller. the PX-150 is the Casio that gives you the best bang for buck. The PX-350 has the advantages of standard MIDI jacks (in case you want to directly control something that isn't a computer) and line input jacks (in case you want to hear the external sound playing through the board's own speakers). The PX-5S has the advantage of definable knobs and sliders which can come in handy depending on what you're controlling.

You also bring up a good point that the VPC1 is a great option as a controller, one that many people would choose over a Casio, despite it not having the technical advantages I mentioned, triple sensor or high resolution MIDI velocity. Which shows again that there's no substitute for just getting your hands on the things and playing them.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

You also bring up a good point that the VPC1 is a great option as a controller, one that many people would choose over a Casio, despite it not having the technical advantages I mentioned, triple sensor ...

According to http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/vpc-1/vpc-1.html the VPC1 has a triple sensor detection.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Whoops! Thanks for the correction! (I think I was thinking of the MP10.)

L
L
The problem is that the Casio is more expensive here than the Yamaha p105 by 100 Usd, so I was wondering if the next Yamaha model would offer better action.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Most people feel that the GH action of the P155 is better than the GHS action of the P105... but there are also some people who prefer the GHS. If you don't need internal speakers (and for use as a controller, you probably don't), you might be able to find the CP33 for less money than the P155, and it has the same action.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission