Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997485 - 12/10/12 06:10 PM Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
The subject says it all. Can't seem to find this piece transcribed for the piano in the usual places I purchase music. Thank you.

Edited by MrHazelton (12/10/12 06:11 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1997532 - 12/10/12 07:17 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Kalmus Classic Edition K 03101, Warner Bros. Publications, J.S. Bach, Six Partitas and Overture in the French Manner, Hans Bischoff, ed., 1882, for piano, ISBN 0-7692-8604-6

I find the print, paper, and binding satisfactory in this edition, and it was $10.95 in an ordinary music store a few years ago. This copy does not mention the BWV 826 number you mentioned, however.

You could Google it, or try http://sheetmusicplus.com ; there seem to be several other editions in print, and there certainly are a great many recorded performances.

Or could you be thinking of some other Bach Partita No. 2...?

#1997551 - 12/10/12 07:50 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
HNB Offline

Loc: Australia

Edited by HNB (12/10/12 07:50 PM)

#1997572 - 12/10/12 08:35 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
What does the OP mean by "transcribed for piano"?

If we're talking about the usual Bach C minor keyboard partita, it will be available from every source with classical scores that you can think of, from amazon to sheetmusicplus.com to imslp.

-Jason

#1997593 - 12/10/12 09:07 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: beet31425]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425
What does the OP mean by "transcribed for piano"?

If we're talking about the usual Bach C minor keyboard partita, it will be available from every source with classical scores that you can think of, from amazon to sheetmusicplus.com to imslp.

The partitas were written for harpsichord, so maybe "transcribed for piano" means with pedalling and pianistic dynamics added.

#1997602 - 12/10/12 09:31 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
Thank you for the replies. To be clear, here is an excerpt of the piece played by Martha Argerich. Martha Argerich - Bach Partita No. 2 - Verbier Festival 2008 When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

#1997629 - 12/10/12 10:48 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"... When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing."

And this, Mr. H., is why I like stores better than online anything. My local music store will order anything I want anything that is available, at competitive prices, and if I am not satisfied when I see the merchandise, there is no requirement that I buy it. Maybe they put it out on the rack, maybe they send it back--- I don't know, but it has worked well for me (and for them, too; I have been a good customer). And I like them. And they like my dog.

I don't know if you would get much of a response from Amazon, but calling or e-mailing sheetmusic.com (or one of the other real music stores--- Alfred, Hal Leonard, etc) would, I would imagine, get you the assistance you need to make a decision. Anyway, they accept returns if you are not satisfied.

Good luck. I am very partial to the Partitas and I find it warms my heart to know that you are reaching out to bring them into your world. Some of us have several editions at hand...

Hey--- what could it hurt to write to Martha and ask her what edition she likes? I'm sure she has gotten lots of letters that have pleased her less.

#1997647 - 12/10/12 11:11 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: MrHazelton
[...]When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

As has already been indicated, there is a link above to IMSLP which has the score you can download for free and print out, since it's public domain.

If you want a bound, printed, commercially purchased score, I don't think that you will find any music sellers listing contents; there's not much content to list. It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano. The only thing you need to guard against is an edition that says it's "arranged" for some other instrument - a highly unlikely possibility, by the way.

Regards,

#1998316 - 12/12/12 11:47 AM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: MrHazelton]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Or, try supporting your local music store by having them order a copy for you. It's hard being in the sheet music business these days, and your local businesses need your support more than Amazon does.

#1998336 - 12/12/12 12:18 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: beet31425]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Are we clear yet on what's the issue?
I'm not.

Mr. H: The good news is that any edition of the 6 Bach Partitas for keyboard will include a complete score of this piece -- unless you mean something quite unusual when you say "arranged for piano." You haven't said what you meant by that. Regarding being sure you're "buying the right thing," you needn't have any worries at all. Maybe you didn't realize that the keyboard version is the 'real' version, or maybe you didn't realize that the same editions are for harpsichord and piano?

#1998638 - 12/12/12 10:47 PM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano.

Indulging my pedantic streak a bit - I think the partitas were written for the harpsichord, not the generic abstract "keyboard" of the WTC. And, since the Bishchoff edition has been mentioned, I think it could be argued that the dynamics added by the editor (for example, crescendos, which aren't possible on the harpsichord) mean that it was "arranged for piano", in some sense.

#1998696 - 12/13/12 12:30 AM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: wr]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: wr
It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano.

Indulging my pedantic streak a bit - I think the partitas were written for the harpsichord, not the generic abstract "keyboard" of the WTC. And, since the Bishchoff edition has been mentioned, I think it could be argued that the dynamics added by the editor (for example, crescendos, which aren't possible on the harpsichord) mean that it was "arranged for piano", in some sense.

True, no doubt, but you're possibly now confusing the OP who is not - may I say it? - at this level of distinction and/or sophistication.

I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

Regards,

#1998705 - 12/13/12 12:43 AM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
....I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

I would add (or counter?) smile that hardly anyone would argue that any edition of the keyboard partitas (or harpsichord partitas or whatever we want to call them) would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

I think the OP's question was based on a simple misunderstanding, although exactly what, we don't know.

#1998719 - 12/13/12 01:18 AM Re: Where can I find Bach Partita II BWV826 score for piano [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr

True, no doubt, but you're possibly now confusing the OP who is not - may I say it? - at this level of distinction and/or sophistication.

I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

Since an Urtext of the partitas wouldn't include any "playable on a piano, but not a harpsichord" markings, you are right. The arrangement issue would not even come up, since there would be nothing specific to the piano that would prompt it.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, AZNpiano, barbaram, 15 invisible), 1247 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292018 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission