2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazztpt
BenPiano - "But by the end, from a listening perspective, my eyes were wide open and I was wondering where to bury the bodies!" I can assure you there are no buried bodies anywhere. I guess you didn't care for it Ben but at least it conjured up an image for you even if it wasn't the one intended :-)

Hi Russ. I did enjoy it, but perhaps got carried away in my previous comment on your piece. I guess I was trying to convey that most jazz I'm used to is soft and warm, and takes you home and tucks you into bed, and wraps up in the end like a typical movie.

But your piece was more blockbuster, like a chase scene that captivates the audience and has us at the edge of our seats, heartbeats elevated, getting absorbed into the film. I am certainly absorbed and on the edge of my seat when I listen to this.

I'm curious as to how you arrived at your title for this?

Last edited by BenPiano; 12/10/12 12:59 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hi Ben – just to make it clear I was not offended by your comments in any way , more intrigued by them.

I have listened to so much what might be called “way out” jazz that my little effort seems quiet tame to me, however, reading your comments I did consider that perhaps others on the forum might not be as used to those type of sounds ( I have thought this before actually).

Actually KenJazz asked the same question re the title, I answered:
I wrote this when I was listening to a fair bit of Chick Corea , that Spanish phygian sound. Nothing special about the title , I was looking for something to call it and I have a piece by Azimuth called "See" so I just added "You" to it. I suppose it could mean "You See" I can play the piano a little bit :-)

The above reflects how I feel about it all, some days I feel I can play a little bit and other days I feel the opposite frown

Regards
Russ

Jazztpt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by MaryBee
It was very strange, because I'm not usually very emotional. But it touched me somehow. No, it wasn't sadness. Nostalgia, perhaps? It was the refrain, I think, that brought back feelings of childhood.

Mary, thanks for the more details on it! Someone in the family played this when you were young?
I was wondering that too. As far back as I can remember, there was always a piano in our house. My mom used to play, and maybe some great aunts when they would come to visit. Perhaps somewhere in that long-distant past, someone sat down at that piano and played this piece.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
More thanks you's to people who have posted comments on my piece: CarlosCC, lyricmudra, bessel, BeccaBb, Starr Keys, Amaruk, jazzpt, SwissMS, Inlanding, Allard, and CMohr. I really appreciate the feedback!

Originally Posted by lyricmudra
I heard Valentina Lisitsa play this piece, giving it new life and elevation, and to the delight of the audience. You should check it out. With a bit more speed, I bet you can play it as well as she did.
I did listen to Valentina's version of this. Wow -- watching her play is always mesmerizing.

Originally Posted by bessel
Well, I happen to *like* Fur Elise. smile Of course, I'm also working on it now, so I appreciate everything about this!
Maybe we'll hear you play this in one of the upcoming recitals. smile

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Beautiful touch on the chromatic run in the transition back to the theme!
Thank you for noticing! I had never done chromatic scales before this, so I had to put some work in to learn that.

Originally Posted by Inlanding
You play it as though you are telling a story, expressing the music as your mind's ear hears it.
When we were preparing this piece, my teacher wrote at the top of the score: "Don't think. Listen!" A bit of a different approach for me, but maybe it helped.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I've been popping in and out of the recital threads for some time, and I might have some pieces ready by February or May. (I'll tune my piano during the holidays, so I'll try to make the February recital.)

Can anyone point me to a post where I can find out how to actually submit a contribution to a recital thread?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the difference between the "piano bars" and the "quarterly recitals", both of them being in the ABF.

Any clarification appreciated!
Mark

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Hi all,

I've been popping in and out of the recital threads for some time, and I might have some pieces ready by February or May. (I'll tune my piano during the holidays, so I'll try to make the February recital.)

Can anyone point me to a post where I can find out how to actually submit a contribution to a recital thread?

Also, I'm a bit confused about the difference between the "piano bars" and the "quarterly recitals", both of them being in the ABF.

Mark

Mark, it's pretty simple really. The quarterly recitals are four times a year and the piano bar is ongoing and much more informal. To get an idea of how to submit to the recital check out the recent recitals 'cover page". Monica spells out the directions. The next recital will have the same directions.

Last edited by Peyton; 12/11/12 08:41 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

I've also used the search function (duh, should have done that to start with!) and found some previous "call for submissions" threads, where I found instructions on making a submission.

Now the only thing I must still figure out, is how to extract the soundtrack from my digital camera (it's the only recording equipment I have, and generates quicktime movie files, filename.MOV ) and encode it to 192 kbps MP3 format...

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

I've also used the search function (duh, should have done that to start with!) and found some previous "call for submissions" threads, where I found instructions on making a submission.

Now the only thing I must still figure out, is how to extract the soundtrack from my digital camera (it's the only recording equipment I have, and generates quicktime movie files, filename.MOV ) and encode it to 192 kbps MP3 format...

I use AOA Audio Extractor ( you can get a simple version for free!) - then I convert from Audacity to MP3 - using FreeWAVtoMp3 .
It involves several steps but it is not difficult to do!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I use AOA Audio Extractor ( you can get a simple version for free!) - then I convert from Audacity to MP3 - using FreeWAVtoMp3 .

You can use the LAME plugin to Audacity and export directly to mp3 from Audacity: LAME Installation.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by casinitaly

You can use the LAME plugin to Audacity and export directly to mp3 from Audacity: LAME Installation.

Oh that would be nice .... one less step!!

What a LAME idea lol.... not! (sorry my brain took a little holiday there).

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
or in 1 step: drop the camera file in VLC and use its export function to extract the audio right away.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ah, hartelijk bedankt, Wouter, that's the type of information I was hoping for... smile I'll download VLC and check it out, and with any (bad) luck, you guys will be hearing from me at the 29th recital.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about the difference between the "piano bars" and the "quarterly recitals", both of them being in the ABF.

Mark

Piano bar = Paper napkins.

Quarterly recitals = Linen tablecloths.

I could elaborate but this pretty much sums it up. Why not start out with a piano bar entry as a warm up and then jump in the next recital in Feb?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Right, paper napkins it'll be for a start. (But I need to tune my Ibach first - napkins or not. wink )

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
A few comments.

44. Valencia -- work in progress, Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 11. Sounded very good.

40. Sam S -- Chopin, Raindrop Prelude. A great piece, that I could listen to many times.

36. lyricmudra -- Liszt, Consolation No. 3. Wow. Beautifully smooth flow and balance.

31. zrtf90 Richard -- Faure, Romance Sans Paroles Op. 17 No. 3. Overplayed and underrehearsed? Not that I could hear.

28. MaryBee -- Für Elise. I love this piece, and you played it with complete mastery.

25. Hawgdriver -- Chopin, Nocturne in B flat minor, Op.9/1. Chopin is growing on me. I wish I could play as delicately and smoothly as you do in this Nocturne.

23. SandTiger -- Original, Shimmer. I can hear your joy in playing piano in this composition.

12. Jake S. -- Chopin, Prelude Op. 24 No. 4. It is mind-boggling to me that at only 10 months you are playing this well.

10. TimmyAB -- Debussy, Arabesque No. 1. I love this kind of waterfall music, and you play it so nicely.

04. Peyton -- Original, Message from space: waiting for the sun. I loved this piece, look forward to what you'll play in the next recital, and will be checking the recital index to hear more of your playing.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller -- Nobuo Uematsu, To Zanarkand. I would have said you had been playing for years, not just 5 months, from listening to your playing. This was a sensitive rendition.

I am awed by the composers and improvisers in the group, and by the people who can make complex music slide flowingly from their fingers. I am impressed by everyone's courage and generosity in sharing your playing in the recital.

Chopin is growing on me, and I have all the Chopin performers in this recital to thank for my new interest.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Ah, hartelijk bedankt, Wouter, that's the type of information I was hoping for...

Met plezier, houd vingers gekruist dat VLC kan je camera formaat te verwerken!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
Impeccable piano sound, as usual. Your playing seems to get more confident and musical every time out. I've never heard of this composer, but your playing makes me want to learn about him, which means you've done your job really well. I wonder what you'll be playing in four or five recitals from now!! Thank you!

Thanks Sam! I also wonder about 5 recitals away, but I think I know what I will be playing two recitals from now since I'm already working on that laugh

Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Wouter79 – I found this lighter and more charming and emotional than your usual selections from the period. Nice to see another side of Wouter79.

Thanks Starr Keys! looking at my todo list
there will definitely be more sides coming!
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I was wondering that too. As far back as I can remember, there was always a piano in our house. My mom used to play, and maybe some great aunts when they would come to visit. Perhaps somewhere in that long-distant past, someone sat down at that piano and played this piece.

Thanks for the additional info. Or maybe I played something in a very similar way as they played?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After listening to the recital, I am inspired. Such beautiful pieces. I look forward to contributing to my first recital in the months and/or years ahead.

Happy New Year to all. And thank you for sharing your work.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
F
F
Wow, no.25 by Hawgdriver is really great. Thanks for that.

I also hope to contribute soon. However I'm just getting going with piano, so maybe I'll skip a couple.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
How nice that people are still listening to the recital, and taking the time to comment.

I agree with you, floydthebarber71, about Hawgdriver's piece. I thought it was lovely.

We have had recitalists with only a couple of weeks worth of experience, so if the spirit moves please join any time. We *are* the beginners forum, after all.

Thanks again to those who are listening afresh.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission