Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 240 < 1 2 3 4 ... 239 240 >
Topic Options
#1708655 - 07/06/11 07:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks Griffin, appreciated.. Here is the first of a few "treats" Just for reminiscing !! Joy.and Enjoy.

Pavlovs Dog,
Folk either loved them Or hated them, due mainly to D.Surkamps astounding voice, apparently, there is no middle ground here!

In the early seventies their record company gave them a totally unheard of advance of £300,000 !!

Still going strong, with a cult following, this is "Julia" from their album "Pampered Menial"

This was the favourite band of one of my best mates, I would not even have known of them were it not for him.

In his early twenties, he actually married a lass called Julia, and very shortly afterwards he developed Multiple sclerosis, getting very ill very quickly.
Within couple of years she had to hold the telephone to his ear when I phoned , he was that weak.

Many lasses would have balked at this, not being what they "signed up for" so to speak, but not Julia, and it is for this very special girl, I reminicse this song.
And For the memory of Andrew Parish.

Edited by Rostosky (07/06/11 07:19 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1708806 - 07/07/11 12:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I truly enjoyed this Ros. Thanks. I am also very impressed with Julia's devotion to your friend, though they had not been married for very long. How kind of you to give tribute to both of them.

It's bedtime here. I look forward to whatever else you'd like to share. I will look for some of the music I listened to during the "glam years" (never heard of that term before). My interests were pretty eclectic in the music I listened to. I'll sleep on it and get back to you. Hope you don't mind some R&B. That is one of the genres I am thinking about, along with others. I won't trouble you with my jazz favorites because of your earlier posts on jazz.

Good night!

#1708902 - 07/07/11 06:19 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
...That wasn't me talking then, I got possesed by the Spirit Of RapperJohn...

smile Just the very faintest hint of humor here...good first effort...

But, of course what you meant to say was that you got spooked by the specter of TrapperJohn laugh

Decent thread so far (he reluctantly admits) ...but remember: brevity is the soul...

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1708949 - 07/07/11 09:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

TrapperJohn, I thought you would be suffering from "Rostosky seperation anxiety" sooner or later. lol

No matter, I really have to protest "brevity being the soul of wit"
Polonius:
My liege, and madam, to expostulate
What majesty should be, what duty is,
What day is day, night night, and time is time,
Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time;
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief. Your noble son is mad. . . .
Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 86–92

Polonius, right-hand man of Hamlet's stepfather, King Claudius, has been employed to spy on the prince and report on his very odd behavior. As Polonius begins to deliver to the king and queen the results of his investigation, he embarks on this windy preface. Besides being nonsensical, his speech is self-contradictory: he wastes plenty of time denouncing the time wasted by rhetorical speechifying.

At the very least, this was written by Shakespeare, love shakespeare or hate him, It is well excepted by almost every one in the world,

That the one thing Shakespeare was not, was BRIEF.

He goes on and on and on and on ad infinitum, in every single one of his major works, One cannot read Hamlet in ones lunch break.
If this is a measure of greatness,then so be it, it is not,however a measure of brevity.

BAck to reminicsing....
I wish I would have called this Rostoskys reminiscing thread now, no matter...

Allthough Pavlovs dog is still together, it is without their original violinist,Richard Nadler, (under the stage name Siegfried Carver), died on May 30, 2009. He was 60 years old, tragically young.

So this next one is another from Pampered menial, called "Episode", and I think shows off Richard Nadlers talent on the Violin , and therefore I mention it as a tribute to him.

A most beautifull song indeed.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#1708971 - 07/07/11 10:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
cubop Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Loc: Norway
Since I find Shakespeare more interesting than Pavlovs Dog, I think it is necessary with a comment here. Shakespeare is not brief, and the whole of Hamlet could be expressed in one sentence: "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark." Now "Everybody knows the deal is rotten." so why bother with all the other stuff? The exceptionally intelligent reader(ME?), might want to know why and how something is rotten, so Shakespeare does a fine job of making that reasonably clear.
Hope this is serious enough for Rostoskys serious thread.

#1708977 - 07/07/11 10:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
And of course, in Shakespeare we also find music! In Hamlet we find Ophelia's song - the one she sings while/after she goes mad.

There is even piano accompaniment.

Ophelia's song

Given that Shakespeare wrote Hamlet (though it was based on earlier tales, as were many of the bard's works), and given that Hamlet was a Prince of Denmark, and given that Denmark still has a Monarchy (albeit a constitutional one) - I think that this qualifies as Royalist music.

Edited by casinitaly (07/07/11 10:33 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed a preposition...ok, call me a fanatic, I don't care.

#1708983 - 07/07/11 10:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Very serious indeed Cubop, an extremely valid contribution.
I personally find Shakespeare a chore, and Pavlovs dog a pleasure.
A lot of folk I have talked to over the years, find that when they first heard a piece of music , it has fixed itself in a moment of time, ie. They remember who they heard it with and where they were, and what they were doing in their life.

Hence the movement of the thread to reminiscing, which has value for folks treasured memories, and also a good way to keep much loved and sometimes nearly forgotten music alive.

I cannot say I have ever heard someone say "oooh,the merchant of venice, I was just getting together with a girl in the student union bar when I first heard that,treasured memories"

I am sure there will be someone out there for whom this is true, but I believe only by the virtue of the fact that there is allways someone....

Back to Rossys reminiscences....

One band that was extremely "tight" much loved and missed, was Be Bop De Luxe, headed by the talented Bill Nelson.
Here is a song entitled "Crying to the sky" taken from the excellent albumn "sunburst finish"

I had the fortune to see Be Bop de Luxe, with the much loved John Cooper Clark (peoples poet) as Support. Back in the day.

If anything expresses "crying to the sky" better than Bills guitar here, I would be surprised.

#1709036 - 07/07/11 12:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Crippy Offline

Loc: Leeds UK
I remember John Cooper Clarke
"Expresso Bongo Snapserone
In the Latin Quarter of the ideal home
a post war glamour girls never alone"

And no I haven't looked that up on the web, it's stuck in my head along with his Kung Fu poem.

Strangely there is very little Shakespeare stuck in my head.
I'm not sure what that says about me.

I also remember Devo (Joko Homo - are we not men? etc)being canned off stage at Knebworth in 1976 or there abouts. I think Graham Parker and the Rumour were also there with Genesis as the main attraction.

Crippy

Edited by Crippy (07/07/11 12:16 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1709049 - 07/07/11 12:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Crippy, I think I was there, Or maybe the next year, Peter gabriel, And I remember the Tubes, definately the tubes, I remember them doing "dont touch me there" with a lass driving onstage in a cadillac! May have been 78 !! or 77 !!

Heres one, Everyone who ever heard The band Sparks will know exactly what they were up to at the time, as Sparks sounded like no one else, and love them or hate them, left a burnt on memory, I can remember when "this town aint big enough for the both of us" came out, exactly where I was and what I was doing.

Sparks are still going strong, and in 2008 did something absolutely awe inspiring, just because Quote: "No band in their right mind has done this"

They had 21 albumns under their belt, 256 songs.
They decided to do a tour where they played EVERYTHING.
One albumn per night.
they had to go back through their entire back catologue, relearning stuff to do it, and were a little trepidatious that the fans would not appreciate it...they did, and got a fantastic reception. Quote;" we felt like a sparks tribute band at first re learning all the lyrics and stuff"

256 songs from 21 albumns, played in succession... That is some achievement...

Ron Mael is a fine example for folk who dont want to look at their fingers whilst playing?
I dont think he actually looked at much, save straight ahead....

#1709054 - 07/07/11 12:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
cubop Offline

Sorry, Rostosky, that I had not noticed that the thread had moved to reminiscing. Very serious thing that. Problem is that my reminiscing would bring us back to ancient times that are unknown to most people here. Anybody remember Ghost Riders in the Sky? Film and nice song. That could of course lead me to Hamlet again, but I will resist the temptation.
Have to go Youtube and see if I can find the song.
Yipiayee, I found it. Not the original, but Johnny Cash is pretty good. I think Shakespeare would have liked it.

Edited by cubop (07/07/11 12:49 PM)

#1709061 - 07/07/11 12:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cubop, I have the sheet music to Johnny cashes version of Ghost riders in the sky... it's excellent......
I would never forget that!

#1709065 - 07/07/11 12:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
cubop Offline

Rostosky, you were too fast for me. See edit to my last post. That Youtube video is terrific.

#1709069 - 07/07/11 12:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: cubop]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Spiderbait has reinvented ghost riders again.... it has moved on from an old cowpoke song..... Motorcyclists do seem to "claim " stuff!! like for example hawkwinds "silver machine" which was written about a bicycle !!

#1709074 - 07/07/11 01:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Crippy Offline

Loc: Leeds UK
Mr R...you were right it was 1978 and it wasn't graham p- and the rumout it was tom petty and the heartbreakers.

these were the days of The Old Grey Whistle Test and listening to John Peel playing the latest punk offerings including Teenage Kicks by the Undertones.

Here's an offbeat gem - Captain Beefheart kicking up sand in the Mojave desert. Ice cream for Crow. Amazing stuff. Like the Sparks btw.

crippy

#1709088 - 07/07/11 01:42 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My reminiscing will go back to the early 1960s when I was in high school. Me and my friends regularly had small gatherings in each others homes, where we danced to the sounds of Motown. Waking up this morning I started thinking about Stevie Wonder. It seems easier for me to start here, rather than starting in the 70s.

I feel like I grew up with Stevie. Stevie Wonder was about 12 or 13 years old when I first heard him sing "Fingertips." Me and my friends were a few years older. Stevie's voice would soon change to an adult voice. I was impressed with his talent. Of course, I loved dancing to his music. He only got better as he got older.

Over the many years I've danced to Stevie's music, fallen in love to it, (and fallen out of love), and have enjoyed many of his beautiful ballads. Enough of my chat right now. It's time to hear "Fingertips.

I will share a few more things later that include Stevie's performance with Mick Jagger in my hometown.

Enjoy!

Edited by griffin2417 (07/08/11 08:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Misspelling. (I'm a copy editor. I can't stop myself!)

#1709114 - 07/07/11 02:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent reminisces you guys, brilliant, look forward to more. I will be back in an hour, have to go make food for me and mrs Rossy, If I dont, mrs Rossy may decide to cook, and that is totally Off topic. lol.

#1709134 - 07/07/11 02:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
If i can hang on the Stevie Wonder topic, this is worth listening to!

#1709190 - 07/07/11 04:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh Wayne, these "mash-ups" !!

But, you reminded me of REM, and something else,
This next song By Gary Jules "mad world" so many, many,many folk actually believe this is a REM song, I have met folk who have bet money, its by REM, they have even gone online to try and get the "evidence" which of course does not exist , because its not by REM.

So, Mad world, by Gary Jules, tears for fears fans know it in a different guise, as they covered it.
Used on the film Donny Darko.

#1709191 - 07/07/11 04:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Love this Rostosky, I sometimes play this one, only a simple version, I need to work on it a bit!

By the way, are you interseted in the purchase of a copy of ABF Recital #22, 3CD Box set.
At only £19.99

(I'm so sorry to go OT)

I'm off to read the "sweaty fingers" thread, speak soon smile

Edited by wayne32yrs (07/07/11 05:39 PM)

#1709248 - 07/07/11 05:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I've just finished my bike ride. Here is another Stevie Wonder song to reminisce about. "You are the Sunshine of my Life" was one of the many ballads he wrote.

I mentioned in an earlier thread seeing him in my hometown in 1972 when Mick Jagger gave a concert. Stevie opened the show. It was smart of the Stones to team up with Stevie. It was a great performance!

Looking back on that show reminds me that by 1972 I had been exposed to a greater variety of music and artists from around the world; particularly British performers such as the Stones, Beatles, some of the jazz artist such as Cleo Lane and John Dankworth, and far too many more to try to list here.

Enough chat, here's Stevie performing in London in 1974.

#1709259 - 07/07/11 06:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah, didn't know it had been released, I can't afford that , well not for the next twenty seven years anyways, I nearly had to put mrs Rossy on the streets again last week just to pay off the manicurist. can you burn me a copy of yours? I will pay postage etc.

I just slipped back into sixties mode, as it had been mentioned and got me thinking. Why cant folk sing properly anymore?
Here is a girl who could, the great Late Janis Joplin.
Nearly everyone I have ever loved as artists are dead.. anyways, Heres Summertime by Janis.

#1709266 - 07/07/11 06:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sorry griffin we posted at the same time!! excellent choice, I have gone back to the sixties to begin reminicsing, Look I am going to call it remembering from now on because I really struggle trying to spell reminisscing !!
I was too young for this so all my sixties remembering was learnt later on!!

#1709267 - 07/07/11 06:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
polyphasicpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Honestly, seeing everyone's reminisces I couldn't help but post one of my High School favourites. Its a bit, uh, lets say different than most peoples . . .

(Listen to it, it's actually really good)

#1709278 - 07/07/11 06:33 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Another excellent "remember" (cant spell reminicces properly) PPP , you may be surprised, I have seen Alice a couple of times, he is extremely entertaining live, a wonderfull performer. This next one is for you, you may appreciate it....
Alex harvey, and "next" one for the scots.!

#1709291 - 07/07/11 06:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Sly Cat Offline

Loc: England - via Scotland
Wow I havent gone off topic yet! excellent, this is going well. (you cant have Queen without MTH)

Nice story, Your Royalistishness (?)

Well, okay. If that's the only way we can get Bri to twang "God Save the Queen" on the roof of Buck House, I'll appease All the Young Dudes... and some of the older ones too... and include MtH.

Although, to be totally honest, I've always preferred Bowie's version of "The Dudes" myself.

So, Mad world, by Gary Jules, tears for fears fans know it in a different guise, as they covered it.

Ahhh, but TFF were class.

Edited by Sly Cat (07/07/11 06:59 PM)

Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

#1709296 - 07/07/11 07:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah welcome SlyCat, please come share your
Click to reveal..
remin
rememberences with us..

Heres one to make everyone happy, I have not met anyone yet who doesn't like this....

#1709303 - 07/07/11 07:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
1000 Post Club Member

As long as we are continuing along these lines, let me be a little (actually very) self-indulgent. This is (seriously) one of my all time favourite pieces of music (right up there with the 9th symph.) and it is sure to make everyone angry.

I CHALLENGE EVERYONE to listen to all 8 minutes and 25 seconds of this and tell me its not amazing.

#1709309 - 07/07/11 07:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Ah, didn't know it had been released, I can't afford that , well not for the next twenty seven years anyways, I nearly had to put mrs Rossy on the streets again last week just to pay off the manicurist. can you burn me a copy of yours? I will pay postage etc.

I just slipped back into sixties mode, as it had been mentioned and got me thinking. Why cant folk sing properly anymore?
Here is a girl who could, the great Late Janis Joplin.
Nearly everyone I have ever loved as artists are dead.. anyways, Heres Summertime by Janis.

FANTASTIC CHOICE! I was in college when I first heard Janis Joplin's album with Big Brother and the Holding Company. I liked everything I heard on the album. However, when she sang Summertime, I was blown away with power of her voice and interpretation. As I was listening to it just now, I found myself going back into that magical zone (my term) and getting swept up with her voice.

Thanks Rossy. Isn't this fun? I am eager to hear some of the others have sent. First, it's my turn to fix dinner tonight. I'll be back shortly.

#1709334 - 07/07/11 08:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Aha, this is a great era to start remembers, This next song is remarkable for a couple of reasons, one grace slick, and two, a rare mistake made by Grace in the opening two lines,She sings "One pill makes you larger, and one makes you small" Instead of "One PILL makes you small," She immediately realises her error , Laughs, and recovers in a nano second.

Missing a sylable out totally throws everything, she did well.

I learnt this song to busk with guitar, and was busking away, proud that I could actually sing it, and it was in my range.
I had also learnt the new chord of F# M on guitar so was sort of double proud.

All was going well, and the "hat of plenty" was filling up nicely, when a lady with two small children walked past and cursed me , citing the children, and taking offence at the lyrics.

I managed to change the words on the spur of the moment to "when the lady with the children, tells you where to go, I did not write the lyrics thats something you should know,rememeber, what the dormouse said..."

by that point she had dissappeared, so I finished of loudly with "feed your head"
Anyways, one moan, but the hat of plenty later disclosed more folk had enjoyed it than hadn't.
lol.

#1709343 - 07/07/11 08:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
1000 Post Club Member

I can't help but feel as though I am little out of place here. Oh well.

Page 2 of 240 < 1 2 3 4 ... 239 240 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
09/16/14 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
09/16/14 11:15 AM
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
09/16/14 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
09/16/14 08:51 AM
Who's Online
157 registered (255, AndresD, Almaviva, ando, 46 invisible), 1395 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76221 Members
42 Forums
157561 Topics
2314336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission