Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997714 - 12/11/12 02:58 AM Baldwin SF-10
newinstru? Offline

Loc: SoCal
Several months ago I checked out a '92 Baldwin SF 10 at a church. It was not cosmetically the best, but I was more interested in the sound, thinking if it sounded great we could take care of the rest later. It was out of tune, however, and I told them i just can't tell if a piano would be good if it weren't. The hammers were also pretty grooved, and I pointed out that as well, if for nothing else to help them in the resale process (the people there seemed to know even less then I do!)It was selling for I think around 12k ( I was hoping to offer lower if I liked it). Frankly, being a church piano, my hopes weren't too high, so I wasn't terribly disappointed.

Lo and behold, I later saw it advertised again, but this time with a reference to a tech having tuned it, reshaped the hammers, maybe regulated...I can't remember......naming the tech...but this time with a higher price tag....15k. I was not tempted.

However, the price just got lowered to 8500, and I will find myself in the area yet again tomorrow afternoon. Now I am curious. There is a tech who said he would be able to meet me there and check it out if I went.

I was wondering, however, if any of you had any thoughts.......complete waste of time? Not necessarily? I read what Larry Fine says about Baldwins of that vintage. Does anyone have a Baldwin from around that time that they like? Is there something I should be looking for more specifically?

I welcome any opinions.....thanks.

Edited by newinstru? (12/11/12 03:33 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1997722 - 12/11/12 03:30 AM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
rxd Online   happy
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Not a waste of time at all. I worked for two very prolific Baldwin dealers at that time. Many SF's passed through my hands. They were solidly built and preferred by many fine pianists. The SF and SD were a totally different concept of design from the smaller grands produced by Baldwin at that time.

It has had, however, 20 years of seemingly hard use. It is wise to have a tech who can coordinate with your visit. A call to the tech who did the work wouldnt go amiss as another opinion.

I cannot speak for the pricing from outside the local economy but, no doubt, others can.

Edited by rxd (12/11/12 03:47 AM)
Edit Reason: Tautological repetitition

Eschew obfuscation.

#1997840 - 12/11/12 11:23 AM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: newinstru?

I was wondering, however, if any of you had any thoughts.......complete waste of time? Not necessarily? I read what Larry Fine says about Baldwins of that vintage. Does anyone have a Baldwin from around that time that they like? Is there something I should be looking for more specifically?

By all means, check it out again !!!!!!

We recently purchased a 17 year old Baldwin SF-10 for our church for $10K. Found it on Craigslist. The piano started its life in a university setting and was played heavily for about one year. It was then taken back by the dealer. An expensive player system was installed, and the piano was purchased by a family with three kids in 1997. Bottom line - it hadn't had an "easy" life. When I first tried out the piano at the seller's home in August I was "put off" by the player system and how the piano might have been compromised by it. We certainly had no use for the player system in our church, and visually, the wires and boxes hanging down under the piano weren't very appealing. Once I had my own tech check the piano out, we decided to take a chance with it. We paid a local piano re-builder to remove the player system, which involved significant carpentry work and rebuilding of the trapwork. We also had him buff out most of the scratches on the piano's case. Once we moved the piano to our church, my tech gave the instrument a complete regulation (including reshaping the hammers, leveling the strings, etc.). We bought an artist bench, a piano spider dolly, and padded cover - and now, after a month - we couldn't be happier with the purchase. Then, to make things even better, a local piano tech who helped the re-builder remove the bulky old player system offered to buy the player system from us for $500 (it was a Baldwin Concertmaster system that probably cost around $5K when new). When the dust settled, we had invested around $13.5K for the piano (including the repairs, regulation, and accessories). Most importantly, the piano has a responsive Renner action, warm singing tone, and a rich, full sound. It should serve our needs for a long time.

So - if YOU can get a 20 year old SF-10 in reasonably good shape for $8.5K - and are willing to put a couple of thousand into it for repairs - you may be very pleased with the results !!!!

Good luck !!

#1997882 - 12/11/12 01:02 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It sounds like it would be worth trying out. What have you got to lose?

#1997952 - 12/11/12 03:29 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I love the SF 10 Baldwins...if the tech ok's it and you like the sound and touch you will be a lucky person...

I'd be running to it...

#1997959 - 12/11/12 03:51 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
As the tech for a husband/wife duo-piano team who toured the US in a custom built motor home with 2 SF-10s in the back, I came to respect those instruments and consider them in the top echelon of 7' pianos.

I eventually installed Cadenza S hammers on both pianos when the time came for their renewal -- along with cryogenically treated wire. The piano duo considered them superior at that point to when they had selected them at the Baldwin factory.

I don't think you'll go wrong if you get this instrument.

#1998100 - 12/11/12 11:10 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
newinstru? Offline

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and sharing your individual experiences. I did go see it. The tech was very helpful and informative (as are so many people I have come across in my search)......people who love what they do and share their passion with others). He spent at least an hour looking it over discussing other piano stuff with me.

Unfortunately, I think I have to chalk this up to another learning experience. The tech said if it were him he would offer no more than 5 k for it, as he thought it would need new hammers ( they were "shaped" .......is that the right word.....quite a lot. Anyway, bass sounded twangy still.......he thought it would need at least new bass strings and work on the action ( uneven). He thought it would need to put probably another 5k into it. I am too chicken to go into the land of unknowns with so many variables.

Thanks again. I really appreciate having a place to come to with all my questions!

#1998101 - 12/11/12 11:10 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
newinstru? Offline

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and sharing your individual experiences. I did go see it. The tech was very helpful and informative (as are so many people I have come across in my search)......people who love what they do and share their passion with others). He spent at least an hour looking it over discussing other piano stuff with me.

Unfortunately, I think I have to chalk this up to another learning experience. The tech said if it were him he would offer no more than 5 k for it, as he thought it would need new hammers ( they were "shaped" .......is that the right word.....quite a lot. Anyway, bass sounded twangy still.......he thought it would need at least new bass strings and work on the action ( uneven). He thought it would need to put probably another 5k into it. I am too chicken to go into the land of unknowns with so many variables.

Thanks again. I really appreciate having a place to come to with all my questions!

#1998109 - 12/11/12 11:25 PM Re: Baldwin SF-10 [Re: newinstru?]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Looking is often a learning experience, even if you do not buy.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Is it necessary a classic base to play virtuosic jazz ?
by Nahum
10/01/14 03:18 AM
Who's Online
69 registered (Alexancho, Alux, Al LaPorte, 36251, alexbergauer, 17 invisible), 1104 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157911 Topics
2319111 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission