Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997970 - 12/11/12 04:12 PM I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Everyone! I've freed up some time in my schedule and I wanted to try teaching online piano lessons.

I'm offering free piano lessons (via Skype, FaceTime, or another platform) to one or two people, 30 minute lessons each. No strings attached.

I'm a Classically trained pianist and I prepare a lot of my students for exams and competitions.

I share psychology techniques for easier and more efficient practicing, depending on what kind of pianist you are. I believe holistic playing is the way to go.

I'm a nice person and I don't yell.

Just send me a message and we can move from there. (I'm from Western Canada) smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1998001 - 12/11/12 05:40 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I think this will be a very nice Christmas gift to the people who've claimed they don't have the cash for lessons. If they don't take you up on the offer, then we'll know exactly what they're full of.. haha smile

Very commendable idea. If you want to run a test session or two by me, I'd be happy to help work out the kinks in the online deal. I can pretend to be any level of student you need.

#1998010 - 12/11/12 06:12 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I sent a pm about 10 minutes after this popped up. smile keeping my fingers crossed!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1998018 - 12/11/12 06:29 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Bluoh
I'm a nice person and I don't yell.

Well then you can count me out!

ha but really, lovely and generous idea - I commend you!

#1998021 - 12/11/12 06:36 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
hmmmm I'm thinkin, I might trial it, not sure, it would be the opposite approach to my learning piano, and, maybe that would be beneficial, east meets west and all that smile

#1998250 - 12/12/12 09:23 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
(...) I don't yell.

LOL, You only say that because you do not know how stubborn I am!!!
crazy

Now seriously: I think this is a very nice gesture from you. Unfortunately, I will be away from home this Christmas season and I will not be able to participate.
Thanks anyway.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#1998357 - 12/12/12 12:50 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: CarlosCC]
Bluoh Offline

Thanks, guys! smile

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Very commendable idea. If you want to run a test session or two by me, I'd be happy to help work out the kinks in the online deal. I can pretend to be any level of student you need.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind. smile

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
hmmmm I'm thinkin, I might trial it, not sure, it would be the opposite approach to my learning piano, and, maybe that would be beneficial, east meets west and all that smile

Lessons would probably be beneficial for anyone, whether free with me or not wink

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
(...) I don't yell.

LOL, You only say that because you do not know how stubborn I am!!!
crazy

I'd imagine that you'd just mute the sound when someone yells at you over the internet-- what's the point? wink

#1998360 - 12/12/12 12:57 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What would the first lesson be?

#1998460 - 12/12/12 04:25 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: wayne33yrs]
Bluoh Offline

It would depend on where you've gotten so far (posture, notes, etc.) and what you want to work on (i.e. are you currently working on a curriculum?)

#1998500 - 12/12/12 05:33 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've just been going solo, working on lots of different things, and I think I'm at varying levels on different aspects, oh god, how can I summarise where I am! Would you be best checking my YT channel, oh no lol, some of my uploads are so rubbish, but at least I can see that now lol, and realise I've learnt alot from knocking around here smile

#1998501 - 12/12/12 05:34 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've no curriculum no, apart from the themed recitals smile

Currently working on (well just started) Mendelsohhn's Op.85 No.2 which I'm finding very difficuilt! Having to use painstaking determination, but there was a pin-head of light at the end of the tunnel tonight.

You could stalk me and read all my posts lol, you would get a jist of where I am wink

Edited by wayne33yrs (12/12/12 05:50 PM)

#1998572 - 12/12/12 08:33 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I just had my first lesson! smile

I learned more in that 30 minutes then I have in the last year! LOL She is a great teacher, very friendly and knows her stuff.

We tried the first lesson using Facetime, which works pretty good. Couple of times it would cut out sound on one of us but otherwise works really well.

I'm just thrilled with getting the chance to work with her and recommend anyone thinking of trying this, should.

I really wish I could afford a teacher like Bluoh! My piano experience would improve drastically. smile

Okay off my soapbox and time for piano homework! WEEE

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1998674 - 12/12/12 11:45 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Glad to hear it went so well. smile

#1998694 - 12/13/12 12:30 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: BeccaBb]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
I've no curriculum no, apart from the themed recitals smile

Currently working on (well just started) Mendelsohhn's Op.85 No.2 which I'm finding very difficuilt! Having to use painstaking determination, but there was a pin-head of light at the end of the tunnel tonight.

You could stalk me and read all my posts lol, you would get a jist of where I am wink

Oh my, I'm not much of a stalker wink It's totally up to you; no one can force you to take lessons. smile

Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
I just had my first lesson! smile

I learned more in that 30 minutes then I have in the last year! LOL She is a great teacher, very friendly and knows her stuff.

We tried the first lesson using Facetime, which works pretty good. Couple of times it would cut out sound on one of us but otherwise works really well.

I'm just thrilled with getting the chance to work with her and recommend anyone thinking of trying this, should.

I really wish I could afford a teacher like Bluoh! My piano experience would improve drastically. smile

Okay off my soapbox and time for piano homework! WEEE

Thanks for your kind words, Becca! You're a great student-- I can tell that you work hard. You're moving along nicely. I had a great first video lesson too. smile

#1998715 - 12/13/12 01:07 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
lotal Offline

Loc: Russia
Good move, Bluoh!

Your free lessons have a promotional aspect, right? Once you decided to get at it, I would further suggest to record the lessons for all of us to watch them later. That way the lessons will be more beneficial. After all why not to look forward to making a huge repositary of video lessons from various teachers, which others may look through. Each lesson would have a short annotation and key words for searching.

Edited by lotal (12/13/12 01:14 AM)

#1998734 - 12/13/12 02:07 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
That's an idea that would be great in an ideal world, lotal, but unfortunately because everyone learns at different levels and in different ways, what works for them in their recorded lessons are unlikely to work generically across the board. What you may be interested in searching for on the internet that do do a good job of what you're thinking of is "master classes" that are often held on specific topics and pieces that can thus be more widely utilized by pianists and musicians in general

#1998738 - 12/13/12 02:29 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bobpickle]
lotal Offline

Loc: Russia
I agree that it hardly would be interesting and possible to watch the whole of lessons from start to end. Nevertheless, YouTube, for instance, now makes it possible to start at any time stamp of video and then switch to another one. Which makes it possible to browse through a lesson. And of course lessons for being recorded should be taken better care of, dedicating them to a specific issue or a piece. Yes, a kind of "master class", although maybe not of the same quality. As a matter of fact, I make Russian subtitles for YT master classes for my blog (http://soltem.livejournal.com) and find them very interesting.

Edited by lotal (12/13/12 02:31 AM)

#1998917 - 12/13/12 12:27 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bobpickle]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: lotal
Your free lessons have a promotional aspect, right?

Hmm actually, I don't have anything to promote-- no ebooks, no products, nothing... It definitely would've been a good idea though...

I just wanted to help people out, in a different way. We learn lots from each other on the forum, but it's always different in a lesson where teachers can see what's going on during the playing.

Originally Posted By: lotal
Once you decided to get at it, I would further suggest to record the lessons for all of us to watch them later. That way the lessons will be more beneficial. After all why not to look forward to making a huge repositary of video lessons from various teachers, which others may look through. Each lesson would have a short annotation and key words for searching.

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
That's an idea that would be great in an ideal world, lotal, but unfortunately because everyone learns at different levels and in different ways, what works for them in their recorded lessons are unlikely to work generically across the board. What you may be interested in searching for on the internet that do do a good job of what you're thinking of is "master classes" that are often held on specific topics and pieces that can thus be more widely utilized by pianists and musicians in general

That's not a bad idea-- it might just work pretty well. You both have great points. It might be like a video website review-- people like Derek Halpern still get lots of views for his website reviews.

But then again, a website looks the same no matter how many times you load it, although we can't say the same for piano playing-- and do you think that knowing that "the world" might be watching would add lots of extra stress to the lesson in general?

Edited by Bluoh (12/13/12 02:20 PM)

#1999252 - 12/14/12 03:41 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Tech 5 Offline

Loc: South Carolina
So, are the free lessons unlimited in number or is it just the first lesson that is free?

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden

#1999500 - 12/14/12 05:13 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Tech 5]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: Tech 5
So, are the free lessons unlimited in number or is it just the first lesson that is free?

I'd love for everyone who wants music lessons in the world to get them, but unfortunately I can't make that happen (just yet).

I'd intended to give about four lessons to one or two people, as a nice gift for the holidays. This is my first time with video lessons and I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with it.

I've gotten a huge response, and I don't like turning people away, so I'll see what I can do.

Note: Four 1/2 hour lessons for 1 person is a 2 hour responsibility for me... multiply that by the demand...

#1999507 - 12/14/12 05:48 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Bluoh Offline

Also, just a clarification (because I've gotten lots of questions about this): I'm posting in the beginners' forum, but we all know that about half the people here aren't beginners... I wasn't looking to teach beginners specifically, but I'm not turning beginners away. wink

#1999725 - 12/15/12 08:40 AM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Bluoh,

What a wonderful and generous gift!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2000406 - 12/16/12 07:27 PM Re: I'm Volunteering to Teach Free Piano Lessons [Re: Bluoh]
Bluoh Offline

Thanks! I wish everyone a warm and cheerful holiday! smile

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (ajames, accordeur, Adypiano, ABC Vermonter, 50 invisible), 1874 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156095 Topics
2292189 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
9 minutes 34 seconds ago
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
Today at 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
Today at 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
Today at 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
Today at 10:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission