Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1997496 - 12/10/12 06:22 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Hey thanks for the replies. I keep going back and thinking I want a kawai. I like the feel of them so much. I liked the quality. I haven't liked yamahas unless they were really really high priced. Even with the cvp 501 it wasn't the action I liked. It was the learning software. However that's a lot of money for beginner like myself and way more money then I am willing to pay or can afford to pay ATM.
I went back to guitar center and realized the privias I played were not the newest models but last years. So for example they had a 130 and 330 not 150 and 350.

I have not got a chance to play a roland yet.

I was reading other threads on here and someone said for the money the new px 850 privia is the absolute best digital piano you can buy for under 1000 bucks. To find anything close to the feel and sound and value in other digital pianos you would have to spend 2000 to 2500.

Is this true? When I read these things I couldn't help but to be excited. I'm hoping to find and play one. What are the big differences in a 350 and an 850. To me it looks like a stand and different speakers.

Anyways thanks again.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1998097 - 12/11/12 10:56 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Update:: I got a chance to play the real 2012 px series from casio. I still have my budget set at 1000. I found that I like the way the px 150 and px 350 feel and play and even sound.
I have a question after reading a bit on the differences I don't see anywhere in the articles or casio site that the 150 and 350 aside from extra sounds, better speakers, and some extra recording extras. The sounds they share I think are the exact same I couldn't tell a bit of difference in them with headphones on. The feel was the same to me. I couldn't feel any difference.
Is this true?

With that being said I'm narrowing my debate on the px series (I couldn't find a 750 or 850) so no reference.
My needs again.
A. Good feel. Kawai is by far my fav. Followed by the New px series privias.
B. sound by I only care about piano sound. Again I like kawai best (played cn23), I did like the casio much better then the yamaha p105.
C. Portability for if I travel. Very rarely happens but it does. So this is a very low priority.
My shopping list as of now (ideas).

- Px 150 save money so I can buy a nice bench and stand. Have money for sound software. Can someone give me a few ideas? Also some for learning piano. Maybe some with ipad or px hook up that include games so I can get the kid excited about practice.

- px 350. Unless there is some major reason to buy this I don't see the extra cost doing me any good. I don't care about recording my self, the speakers mean nothing to me. The feel was the same as the px150

- px 750 or 850. Alot of reviews love the 850 saying it has outstanding value. I can't find one to play. I honestly haven't looked into the 750. It looks like a 350 with a fancy stand and pedals.

- Kawai ep3. Outdated and have been advised against it. It's mostly appealing because how much I like the kawais I have played.

- search for a good used piano/ hope to find an amazing deal on es7 or cn24 ?

These are my ideas. I was very tempted to buy the 150 today. I wanted to post first and make sure it's a good value for me.

I also tried a yamaha p105 and 155. I just don't like yamaha digital pianos as much. I'm not sure why. Though I do love the learning software on the 4000 one I played lol.

Anyways thanks in advance for the read.

#1998113 - 12/11/12 11:34 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 4g63mr
- Kawai ep3. Outdated and have been advised against it. It's mostly appealing because how much I like the kawais I have played.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from buying a Kawai EP3 (even if you can't try it out first, at a store) as I bought mine sight unseen online (directly from www.sweetwater.com) and can say I don't regret the purchase.

1) EP3 has far better decay/sustain than the Casio AP-620 which is Casio's best console model, and, the new AP-650 isn't any better from other reports in this forum. Be sure to read all of this thread, here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1985491/Casio%20AP-650.html

2) The EP3's action is very smooth and solid with a slightly weighted feel. No problems with playing just about anything on it.

3) Has nice speakers, which gives the piano good ambience in perceiving the quality of the sounds. Good reverb effects!

4) Very portable at 45 pounds, and, while it is not the lightest board available its quite reasonable.

#1998121 - 12/12/12 12:11 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
If you are looking for a basic digital the PX-150 would be a good choice. However, if you are planning on buying the stand and pedal bar, take another look at the PX-750 which comes with the stand and pedal bar. Cost is nearly the same and you get better speakers in the 750. The PX-850 may not be in abundant supply but it does have extended polyphony (256) upgraded amp, and speakers. The lid opens and there is a sound simulator to simulate the sound of a grand piano with the lid open. The PX-850 also has sympathetic resonance which is supposed to more accurately produce the harmonics of the strings resonating. It's unclear how well this feature works and is the first time Casio has offered something like this. The PX-350 has already received Keyboard Magazine's Key Buy award. Casio sold a lot of the PX-x30 series (PX-130, 330) which was the last generation. They seem destined for success with the PX-x50 series. They offer a lot of bang for your buck. Roland, Yahama, Korg, and Kawai have a better reputation, but Casio is raising the bar and getting noticed. As far as action goes, Casio makes only one keybed which is used on all of its Privia/Celviano models. The action is all new on the PX-x50 series with Ivory coated keys. I think it feels similar to the previous PX-x30 generation but I didn't get to spend much time the first time I played one. But it feels good and reminds me of Yahama GH action.

Edited by galaxy4t (12/12/12 12:18 AM)

#1998144 - 12/12/12 01:12 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: pv88]
4g63mr Offline

Pv88 thanks again for the reply. I'm still at a big toss up. It's tuff for me because being so new I really don't know what to listen for. However that being said your recordings on the ep3 I did like a lot.

I don't know if its an advantage or disadvantage to me. I have never really played an acoustic piano so I don't know how it "should" feel. As I posted before I struggle to play chop sticks let alone something complex such as Chopin or Schubert.

I'm at that stage were I don't know. The px 150 feels nice and sounds nice to me and 600 bucks is sweet to my bank account.
Then I liked the kawais I played so much I wanted to buy them which is why I am attracted to the ep3.

However I'm worried about buyers remorse. Buy the dated ep3 and kick my self wonder if I should wait and see if a new say ep4 comes out I. That price rang.
Get the px 150 and wish I would have chanced the ep3.

Or I hold off and save more cash putting playing off for a while longer.

#1998150 - 12/12/12 01:28 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If it's of any help, I can say that it is perfectly okay to get the piano that fits your budget if you only had (let's say) $600 to spend. In that case a new Casio PX-150 would fit your price bracket, and, it's an okay digital for a beginner or intermediate level player.

Now, if you had $1,000 to spend, then you're looking at something like the Kawai EP3, Yamaha P-155, and so forth. Therefore, the digitals in this price range may be a little better than the one at $600, although only by a small margin.

And, if you are looking for a digital that you can grow up with (as a more advanced player) you will have to spend around $4,000 to find the best actions, very good sounds, and, additional features. This includes the upper end models like the Kawai CA65, CA95, the Yamaha AvantGrand N1, hybrid NU1, and, the Roland LX-15, or, V-Piano.

It is really best if you can play the pianos in question first, and, make your choice based upon:

1) Action
2) Sounds
3) Features

As a beginner, any model at $1,000 (or, higher) would be sufficient.

Rely upon your own ears and touch for the best comparison.

#1998289 - 12/12/12 11:05 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Im still on the edge.. On the EP3 or one of the privia's.

I have told my self im not going to go over my budget until I can learn to play something. Setting a goal. I talked it over w/ my other half and she agree's. We get something 1000 ish or under. Take lessons for the kid and I. Then when we move in to our first house we buy a nice acoustic that I have been wanting or a really nice digital, or both : p

Anyways this is where im at. Im researching software atm.

#1998377 - 12/12/12 01:27 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Last Update:
I have a buddy that works for full compass and can get me a little bit of a deal on some Digital pianos.
Of the pianos I can afford I like the Privia series, and of the privias I came to the conclusion that nothing the higher models offered I cared about. So what I can get when looking at these.

px 150 w/ matching stand and 3 pedal setup for 600 shipped.
P 105 w/ matching stand and pedals for 620 shipped
p 155 no real discount at all, money saved is on accessories mostly
or
Take a chance find an EP3 and buy that.

I didnt really like the p105 of 155 so not really an option

Its down to
PX 150 w/ stand and tri pedals for 600
or
EP3 from different retailer for retail cost.

#1998378 - 12/12/12 01:30 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
My favorite from the list is Yamaha P-155.

I am trying to decide myself, too. I am getting the P-155 or biting the bullet and getting the Kawai ES7.

Yamaha P-155

#1998400 - 12/12/12 02:13 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
    4g63mr Offline

DennisKuv - I played a p155 and didn't like it as much as I did the privia's. Maybe personal preference.

If I had the cash atm to go for the es7 I would but I talked it over w/ the other half and her and agreed to stick to my budget of 1000 or less. For me the only kawai in my budget is the dated ep3. I cant find one to play but I have heard some samples that pv88 posted and I really like the sound.

Im really kind of torn like yourself. Go w/ option A. The privia with pretty much a free matching stand and tri pedals.
    or
    Bite the bullet and get the EP3 my second choice.

The wife and are buying our first home in the few years when I figure out where im going to land a new career after I finish up my masters degree. When I do this I play to buy an acoustic piano or a really nice digital.

Right now im leaning towards the px150 because I can get a good deal on it. I think it will do fine for me just learning a bit on. Like I have said before im playing chopsticks and poorly at that.

#1998414 - 12/12/12 02:45 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
    scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    Best of luck to you and your "other half". It's a very exciting time buying your first home. May it always be filled with love and music!

And happy holidays!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcSWEBgnRc

I came across this amazing video during my research, performed on a Yamaha P-155. (hope it was okay to post the link)

Yamaha P-155

#1998463 - 12/12/12 04:28 PM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      4g63mr Offline

Thank you so much. Very kind of you to say.

Links should be fine people link me to stuff all the time smile

Well the moment of truth I just placed an order. I went for the privia. I have the matching stand and 3 pedal setup. Total cost was 601.00. I'm pleased with my order and feeling good. smile

#1998711 - 12/13/12 12:59 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      BoringPat Offline

I have been following the thread. And I know that feeling when I bought my Privia 330. Now that I have been learning piano with my kid for 2 years (weekly lesson) and I have yet to outgrow it. So be glad that you stick to your budget and got the px135! You made a wise decision.

#1998772 - 12/13/12 06:32 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
      I think it's best to just get something and start playing. Of course you don't want to make a wrong choice, but anything that feels decent will be okay for a beginner imo. I was (or am) in the same shoes as you. I went with a Kawai CL-36 (same action etc as the CN-23 you tried I think) because the action was sooo nice from all the Yamahas and Casios etc that I tried. I'm really glad I went with this, because after some playing, I love the feel of the Kawai and I am drawn to just wanting to play more and more. This should be the most important thing.

Good luck!

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#1998883 - 12/13/12 11:24 AM Re: Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      4g63mr Offline

Yeah, after much debate I went with PX-150. I played one and "I" enjoyed it very much. I mean its not high end high priced but for me knowning nothing about piano or even if I will enjoy it in the long run this seemed like a much viable option.

Now I play the waiting game..

#1998916 - 12/13/12 12:26 PM Re: Order placed!! Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      vein Offline

i just order a new digtal piano and hope iwill get better.

#1998923 - 12/13/12 12:33 PM Re: Order placed!! Very new to Digital Piano/ Piano's [Re: 4g63mr]
      4g63mr Offline

What did you order?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
      What's Hot!!
      75,000 Members and Growing!
      -------------------
      HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
      -------------------
      Sharing is Caring!
      About the Buttons
      -------------------
      Forums Rules & Help
      -------------------
      ADVERTISE
      on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
      (ad) HAILUN Pianos
      Hailun Pianos - Click for More
      Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
      Knabe Pianos
      Sheet Music
      (PW is an affiliate)
      Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
      (125ad) Dampp Chaser
      Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
      (ad) Lindeblad Piano
      Lindeblad Piano Restoration
      Who's Online
      69 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, a-z0-9, ando, 20 invisible), 1241 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
      Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
      Forum Stats
      75509 Members
      42 Forums
      156147 Topics
      2293084 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
      New Topics - Multiple Forums
      Mendelssohn on meaning in music
      by phantomFive
      Today at 04:08 AM
      Youtube! :)
      by PianoPlayer98
      Today at 02:46 AM
      Youtube! :)
      by PianoPlayer98
      Today at 01:47 AM
      Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
      by khopin
      Today at 12:54 AM
      How struts define pitch variation between tunings
      by Bosendorff
      Yesterday at 11:40 PM
      (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
      | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
      | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
      | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
      No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission