2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 56 of 370 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 369 370
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Now for some Steely Dan.

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
And the Doobie Brothers.

Ok done!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well dudes and dudettes, today has got me totally stunned.. for real.. I am in a state of medical shock...
This is what has happened:

rewind to yesterday.... hours spent in a music programme, just to have the old laptop crash.
Just, I might add when I felt I was getting somewhere.

Anyways, the CPU was reading stupid levels of usage, and after what had happened we suspected a totally filthy and clogged heat sink...sooo, before I opened it up to clean it, I thought I would go to PC world and get some heat sink to CPU thermal paste, because it is pointless going in all that way into a laptop, and not sorting that out whilst in there...

Sooo , there we are in PC world, I buy the thermal paste, look round and where is Mrs R?
Nowhere, thats were... well obviously somewhere, but i couldnt see her and had to go looking.

I thought she may be looking at printers, because hers is , well naffed.
But, she wasn't, she was looking at laptops.

I go over and she says "what do you reckon of this one?" It was a really nice top of the range Packard Bell, so obviously I said "looks great, and the specs are like top notch"

A Pc World assisitant appears, and says the usual "Can I help you"

Imagine my shock and surprise, when Mrs R says "yes" I hurredly tell her I have bought the paste, but she says to the assistant, "I want one of these"

Then, the assistant gets it, and says how are you paying, which card?"

Mrs R says "cash" and pulls out a Big Roll of the said stuff from her purse, counts it out on the counter, and that was that.

except, whilst outside the shop, Mrs R says she has bought it for me... like wow, like WOW , LIKE WOW, WHAT?

How amazing is that?

so all afternoon we have been setting it up, installing MSE,spybot, firefox and add ons etc etc...

This is my first post on the net with it, and wanted to share it with all you good people...

Tommorrow I will get my music programmes on it, and set up the midi on my keyboard...

WOW...BRAND NEW PACKARD BELL.... stunned , shock and awe....

OOH, thanks for all the excellent posts, Adeltrout ( Billybass is wrong, its a stalker, and is allready being dealt with by the authorities)
Special thanks to griffin for telling me all about enchiladas, and making me want them, and to Wayne for telling me where they were and still are on special offer..Morrisons.

I bought them today whilst in town and cooked them when i got home lovely.

Ellsa, have you chosen a fishy name yet?

Will post some music in a bit....

I am so in WOW mode....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Yay Rossy! A functioning keyboard AND a new laptop! That's great! Although I'm curious as to what the now super-powerful Rossy is going to unleash on the world..

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
First thing Adeltrout, is a Waltz, I was going to sleep last night (or trying too around three thirty am) and I heard the melody of a waltz in my minds eye so to speak.
The waltz just kept getting more and more clear, with the Ideas for the sound of the beat and allsorts happening.

Fortunately, I knew better than ignoring it and trying even harder to sleep, so, I got up, plugged in the keyboard, and got it out, found out where it was and played it till it was committed to memory...

So, in a few days, (depending on my ability to understand the music programme) I should have it recorded.

And everybody here will be the first to critique it... hopefully, everyone will be brutally honest, a much preffered and more helpfull option than everyone just being kind.

Like my mum was when I brought my first picture home from school aged five and said "mum, will it go on the fridge?"

And she said "It would if it was any good, however, it isn't, so I will bin it instead"

This kind motherly love saved me thirty years of thinking I may be an artist when I grow up.
Kinder in the end, I hope you will agree?

This next number is for Elssa, I allways loved where have all the flowers gone.....

BUT, there has only been one lady who has sung it in French, German, and English..... and she made this song her very own..

Guessed yet?.... The one , the only the lovely and stunning Marlene Dietrich... Isn't Rossy a cultured guy, you may well ask.... How did he know that?
well he knew, because he very much enjoyed Marlenes Legs, especially in the film blue angel.....

In german ......

In french......

And in English......

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rossy, you managed to fix the piano and got a new computer, in little time! How good!. BTW, listening to Marlene Dietrich in several languages has been really interesting. Brilliant post.

I’m going to post about pop music, Spanish pop music. This song was very popular when I was…younger. Maybe, some girl… grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Evening all smile

Griffin, love the original Lady Marmalade!

Rossy, what can I say.........

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Fantastic news Rossy! Congratulations! Mrs. Rossy must think very highly of you as her spouse to give such a wonderful gift. I'm also glad you got to try enchiladas. Pretty tasty, eh?

Aimee, I just got home and am eager to give a listen to your posts. You always get my attention with the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan. A little later for me, however. I am now on VACATION! yippie

I'll be home, but have some fun things planned like bicycle rides, reading, and whatever I decide at the moment! I really enjoy "Stay-cations." I don't have to pack, worry about keeping track of tickets, ID, cash, etc.

I now can have much more focused piano practice time without interruptions.

I'll be back a little later. Right now I see an inviting glass of iced tea with my name on it! Later folks.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi Wayne! We must have posted at the same time. Glad you enjoyed Lady Marmalade.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats on your new computer, Rossy! [Linked Image]

Thanks for posting the Marlene Dietrich videos - pretty awesome. thumb

I need to choose a fish name now? Hmmm... how about Angelfish? OTOH, Gueneviere (my cat) and I really like tuna for lunch... so maybe Tuna Turner or Tina Tuna for a name? [Linked Image]

Last edited by Elssa; 08/27/11 12:29 AM.
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Glad you like the posts, Griffin.. my music taste can be slightly schizophrenic, so I am always happy when I have a hit. Happy vacation!! I am a big fan of those. I like staycations, vacations, anything where I am away from work(I once even celebrated foot surgery, as I got 3 months off!).

Rossy, I am excited about your waltz. It's not fair that Marlene can sing in 3 languages. Not at all.

Recaredo, you are not allowed to hold out on us any more. I need to hear more Spanish pop music.

Elssa, are you in the path of Irene?

Here's a nice vacation song...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO

Elssa, are you in the path of Irene?

Yes, the hospital I work for (Staten Island) has been evacuated.. the whole area is supposed to get a direct hit. Yikes.

Enjoyed your posts, AimeeO, especially Steely Dan and Aretha. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope you all don't have any problem with that hurricane.

Aimee, here you are some songs more about Spanish Pop music that I can remember.

Last edited by Recaredo; 08/27/11 06:11 AM.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Today I'm mainly focused on Bach BWV 999, as I'll have the opportunity to play it on a harpsichord tonight, for the first time. From memory, I hope! ha

But talking of Spanish pop, here's the fabulous group La Mode, part of the Movida (early 80s Spanish new wave), with El unico juego en la ciudad (The only game in town).

Some lovely bits of keyboard in this. New wave of course did widely adopt the synth, after its rejection by punk.

There's just a few videos of them on YT. Here's the same tune performed on Musical Express:

And here's another of their tunes: Mi enfermera de noche (My night nurse):

I used to play this very loud in the car, driving around Bilbao.
And yes, I do have the 3-disc La Mode box set. grin

Last edited by Eglantine; 08/27/11 08:48 AM.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne32yrs
Evening all smile

Griffin, love the original Lady Marmalade!

Rossy, what can I say.........

I always like a bit of Kool & The Gang. They Have The Funk.

Really feeling for you guys State-side at the moment. To peeps complaining about the rain in London yesterday, I said be thankful you don't have Irene...

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Carp, you are going to play on a harpsichord!. You are lucky and I'm jealous cry .

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Even worse, I'm going to be playing on a lovely Morley, with two manuals and five octaves and lute stop and all! Much more sophisticated than the very basic 'Italian' four-octaves single manual used by the harpsichordist in the public recital a couple of nights ago.

And given it's Bach BWV 999 (for lute), I should really be using the lute stop, non?

BUT it's going to be in front of others. Hey, kinda public performance. Arghh.

So, frenzied memorising of second half of the piece... I have once or two stumbling places I really need to iron out. Before tonight.

It will be the second time I play this lovely instrument. So still getting used to the whole harpsichord 'thing' (the resistance of the keys plucking etc.). And I can play this piece 'nowhere near' the speed of the owner of said instrument.

I'll take my score 'just in case'. Really hoping to be able to deliver a piece from memory. With no dynamics.

Last edited by Eglantine; 08/27/11 07:52 AM.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Carpy,excellent that you get to play a harpsichord.they are just so different aren,t they?
Did you know that it was vince noir and howard moon from the mighty boosch that actually got the funk?
Ellsa; "Angeltuner" it is then!! (even the heavenly host needs a quick tune up every now and again)

To everyone in The USA, the satalite pics we are getting to see, show a storm the size of Europe, good thing is it is moving so slowly at about 14 mph, it may turn, lets hope so.
stay safe, dont go out to look for the cat, or be tempted by take-away enchiladas, they are tasty, I can attest to that, but not worth taking life threatening risks over!!

Recaredo, Spanish pop is so Spanish pop isn't it? It could not be mistaken for anything else.

Griffin, enjoy your staycation to the max, you deserve it you work far to hard and you should put your feet up... oh and neither you nor Wayne told me just how filling enchilladas are, after I ate four, I went into a "carb-coma" and had to have a little nap!

Will pop back now and again throughout the day, but am installing my music programs on new lappy, and taking the old one aprt to clean out heatsink/fan.

This is a common problem with Toshibas, especially if folk run them on their lap and not on a board or tray. They suck in debris, and the dust and dirt sticks to the heatsink.
The heatsink when covered in debris does not do its job properly anymore, which is to cool the CPU, this causes high CPU readings which will make the laptop shut down unexpectedly in the end.....

So, in I will go to clean it out. Before you ask Recaredo,yes, I will take photos !!!

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Oh noes, it was Positive Force, and Funkadelic/George Clinton, that both 'got' the funk, and 'want/need/gotta have' the funk. Get the hair!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good luck on your performance tonight Eglantine, I like to funk, and would have posted a cool song here, but fear it's too explicit for PWF!

Rossy, that's correct, it's no good sitting your lappy on your lappy! (Rossy, I did mention that we shared ours with the neighbours, an indication that 4 each maybe a bit much!) Be in touch soon, smile

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 08/27/11 10:02 AM.
Page 56 of 370 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission