Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998314 - 12/12/12 11:39 AM Lets talk software (none recording)
4g63mr Offline

Okay my other thread on helping me find a good starter piano was a huge success. I have my choices narrowed down and will be making a buy pretty soon. For info on this see other thread.

Now I want to discuss software and sounds. I was told by several members that it is more important to find good action over the sounds because you can always get better sounds from computer software that will blow just about any built in digital piano sound out of the water.. This makes sense to me, as a digital drummer I have some software I run through a laptop which blows the sound of the stock modules doors off.

Here is my question. I have tried a few google searches and I cant find anything. Could someone give me a few examples to look into.

Secondly I would like to know if there is any type of "fun" software that makes learning a little more fun for a young child. Something that is a game. I could hook the DP into a laptop or ipad and it helps teach the piano but makes it fun.

Well as always thank you in advance for reading and helping me out here.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#1998335 - 12/12/12 12:17 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
Providence Offline

Hi,
I have been using a software called Garritan Authorized Steinway (Basic Edition) which cost around 80 Euros I think at the time. I am very happy with i. It's a stripped down version of the pro version but a good starting point if you want a lovely sounding piano at a reasonable price. I love it's tone, especially in the base register..good luck

#1998349 - 12/12/12 12:40 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The go-to software piano in this forum is always Galaxy Vintage D. It seems like that is the favorite single piano of a large percentage of the forum. It's pretty easy on the computer as well.

The rest of the Galaxy suite (and the Giant) are pretty good too. Ivory II is the other really popular piano suite, though it's a bit more pricey and requires an ilok. Ivory also has a Fazioli and American Steinway for sale separately as well. I don't care for the Fazioli but the American Steinway has been getting good reviews and is the latest, most technologically advanced piano available (also requires a lot from your system).

Garritan used to be an old staple but they pulled some of their products from the market lately and were acquired. Not sure what their future is, but they used to get very good reviews as well.

There are also a few people around who use Imperfect Samples pianos.

There are also PianoTeq fans in the forum (I'm not one). PianoTeq tends to lose when comparing piano tone, but it has some advantages in terms of playability. It has a great interface and can easily be demo-ed for free. Worth a shot, but very different from other software pianos, so don't judge them by what you get with PianoTeq.

#1998388 - 12/12/12 01:51 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Thanks Gvfarns. I like that Galaxy Vintage D has loads of samples. They sound great too. I will def be looking into when I want to add more tones.

Anyone know of any good learning programs?

#1998424 - 12/12/12 03:06 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Oh with software like the vintage D. When you use that does the sound come out of the speakers of the piano or do I need to have monitors or something connected to the pc?

#1998430 - 12/12/12 03:15 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
It comes out of whatever speakers are connected to the PC, so it makes sense to get some good speakers an/or a way to plug headphones into your PC.

#1998669 - 12/12/12 11:36 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Here is a large selection of piano software plug-ins compared:

A review of Galaxy Instrument's The Giant (sold under the Native Instruments brand):

This track was performed by a member here, Laurence Lougheed: Dreamland

Edited by o0Ampy0o (12/14/12 01:03 AM)

#1998670 - 12/12/12 11:37 PM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
Acca Offline

Congrats on your PX150 decision. I think for your budget you made the right decision. My Privia has served me well for the past 2 years. The keyboard can also be kept for use as a midi controller even if you upgrade next time.

The Vintage D sampled sound is a much more authentic piano sound from a great sounding piano, and you can tune the velocity curve for better touch and dynamic range but it will cost another $150 (+ $20 for midi-to-usb converter, if you haven't got one). Pianoteq is a fully modeled piano sound, and in my opinion still sounds fake. Software sounds are probably more important for classical music or if you really appreciate piano sounds. Maybe stick with the inbuilt sound for now while you are starting to learn.

If you already have a digital audio workstation program (cubase, ableton, etc) you can use the keyboard to layer in other generated or sampled sounds with your drums.

As for lessons, try posting in the Adult Beginner section. I'm sure there are many programs and websites and youtube videos to help with all levels of learning. I found Josh Wright on Youtube to be really helpful, but he is probably more for classical music, intermediate to advanced.

Edited by Acca (12/12/12 11:44 PM)

#1998697 - 12/13/12 12:31 AM Re: Lets talk software (none recording) [Re: 4g63mr]
4g63mr Offline

Hey guys thanks for the ideas and inputs. I'm def way ahead of myself looking at virtual software but I'm sure I will look up all kinds of stuff while I'm waiting on my package to show up.

Waiting is always the worst part.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
42 minutes 38 seconds ago
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
Today at 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
Today at 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
Today at 05:43 PM
Who's Online
132 registered (ajames, 36251, A Guy, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1437 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157935 Topics
2319415 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission