Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998044 - 12/11/12 08:18 PM digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems?
New NewB Offline

Hi. It just occurred to me that when I've seen demos of most DPs, the player reaches forward a little and changes sounds or adjustments while playing.

I don't think this could be done with the Kawai CA65. However, I don't know how often I'd really be doing that so don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Have any of you felt hindered by this design format?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1998045 - 12/11/12 08:26 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I can't say it's ever bothered me. Of course, the reason they do it is so the control panel isn't staring you in the face while you are playing. The manufacturers are trying to create a real piano-playing experience so they decide to tuck the controls out of your field of view so your can preserve the illusion that you are playing an acoustic piano. Makes sense to me, but I guess it depends how much you like to fiddle with the controls.

#1998052 - 12/11/12 08:36 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
ando is spot on.

For a stage piano or workstation that often requires constant changing of sounds and settings, I believe it is sensible to have controls placed in front of the player. However, for a console type instrument, where the player will typically select a sound or change a setting and then play for an extended period of time, placing the controls out of the way is rather more aesthetically pleasing.

Just my 2 yen.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1998064 - 12/11/12 09:20 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
HwyStar Offline

I agree about having them to the side but why put the controls on the left when 90% of the world population is right handed?

#1998068 - 12/11/12 09:31 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: HwyStar]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: HwyStar
I agree about having them to the side but why put the controls on the left when 90% of the world population is right handed?
It's a conspiracy by us lefties. Most of us have learned to function in a right-handed world, so it's really more for our amusement (to watch poor righties struggle) than for our benefit while playing. grin
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1998071 - 12/11/12 09:39 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
pv88 Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
It's a conspiracy by us lefties. Most of us have learned to function in a right-handed world, so it's really more for our amusement (to watch poor righties struggle) than for our benefit while playing. grin

+1

#1998085 - 12/11/12 10:34 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: HwyStar]
o0Ampy0o Offline

I think they put the controls on the left because the right-handed player will have a hand on the keys to plunk out sounds while making adjustments.

It is just a guess.

#1998216 - 12/12/12 07:30 AM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: New NewB
Hi. It just occurred to me that when I've seen demos of most DPs, the player reaches forward a little and changes sounds or adjustments while playing.

I don't think this could be done with the Kawai CA65. However, I don't know how often I'd really be doing that so don't think it would be a deal breaker.

Have any of you felt hindered by this design format?

I think we need a big old war. Or maybe a world-threatening infection, famine or other natural disaster. Maybe then we'd worry about things worthy of being worried about! I can't believe this could or would ever be an issue for anyone!

#1998325 - 12/12/12 11:59 AM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK

OT: but to me lots of these things seem to be designed to favour the left handed:
Knife and fork: the fork that aims hot food and spikes at my face is in my left hand (when right handed people use a spoon they use their right hand, so why not fork in the dominant hand, like those of us who are right in the head)

Piano: The right hand plays the tune, which the brain is thinking about anyway

Stringed instruments: The left hand does the note selection.

#1998380 - 12/12/12 01:34 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: Vectistim]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Vectistim

OT: but to me lots of these things seem to be designed to favour the left handed:
Knife and fork: the fork that aims hot food and spikes at my face is in my left hand (when right handed people use a spoon they use their right hand, so why not fork in the dominant hand, like those of us who are right in the head)

Why? Because it's more important to be skilled when you are wielding a knife compared to a fork!

#1998403 - 12/12/12 02:21 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
Aeons Holle Offline

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
In regard to the OP post:
No, I don't feel hindered by the design, but rather like the fact that the buttons and lighted display is not straight in my vision (as it was on my Yamaha CLP).
I don't require to change sounds while playing (just as one does not with a real piano...).

I actually would have liked my CA95 to feature a small lid for the controls like the CS9 to completely hide the controls. Now that looks nice. Also as I assume based on comments in the thread regarding the pedal distance of the CAs Kawai wanted to build these models as slim as possible.

Why are the buttons on the left side?
Obviously because on the right side there is not enough space, and the little space there is already occupied by power button and volume slider... wink
Galaxy Vintage D, The Giant

#1998455 - 12/12/12 04:09 PM Re: digital buttons on the left... any of you have problems? [Re: New NewB]
joflah Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I think that all controls should be located behind, beneath, or above the keys. The 88 keys and their standard dimensions set a minimum width for a piano, and it has to be a bit wider just for structure. Adding another 5 inches or so to the width seems like a bad choice.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 41 invisible), 1453 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission