2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 200 of 341 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I still can't open sugar.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry, Knotty. I reuploaded Sugar because there was tons of extraneous discussion on the recording before we started playing (just to show that some of us didn't know the tune -- like me). It should be ok now.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's hard to play tunes you don't know. For me, I really don't enjoy playing tunes unless I can sing the melody. I think you did well on Sugar. Those fingers are getting faster.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I tried these same tunes last night, now that I've actually heard the melody and it is obvious I do so much better when I know the tune. So it doesn't take much it seems. But doing it with a few seconds warning is like a crash course. Like I said, I only have a bar to look ahead harmonically. And it's particularly difficult when the form is unknown.

I think I did fast fingers on Black Coffee, not Sugar. All that work on Chopin 10/1 is paying off speed wise...

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
so the trick for me is to sit and listen to the melody when it is played. That's the time you have to learn it. Often, the bridge is the tricky part. But to me,it's easier to understand the tune if the melody makes sense.

On some tunes, it's horribly difficult though, like Corea, Metheny or Evans tunes. But I think it's mean to call those at jams.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
As much as they throw all these new tunes at me at jam sessions, when I call Dolphin Dance or Giant Steps, they balk. smile It's always one way. I guess I can take it and they can't. LOL.

I don't even complain now when they throw any tempo at me or turn a 3/4 tune to 6/8 right in the middle. It's all weird but it builds up skill. A year ago, this was all unthinkable.

BTW before I cut out the extra chatter on Sugar, someone actually played the melody (to try it out) so I at least heard it. But when laid on the chords, it wasn't that obvious how it fit.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To me, there are friendly jam tunes, and unfriendly ones.
Someone can call Lady Bird, Moment's Notice, Yesterdays and we can all more or less make it through. But some tunes are just really wild and to hear the melody over the chords is tough.
Dolphin Dance is one of those tunes. Very Early, Waltz for Debby, James, Spain, all those tunes should be left for home or rehearsal, not jam sessions. imho...

Calling Giant Steps is on the edge. Because the changes do move in weird motions, but at the same time, many people actually practice that tune. So it's kind of border line. Cherokee is another, since it's hard to play slow and the bridge is such a mother ... In that case, I just ask nicely if people feel like it.

See the difference? Very few people practice Dolphin Dance. Everybody practices Giant Steps.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I seldom encounter anyone playing giant steps at these mid-level jams. I do think there's a preference for guitar friendly tunes. Dolphin dance is probably unknown to guitar players. Even maiden voyage is seldom called.

Then again, no one has called Donna Lee.

Around here confirmation, cherokee, etc are hardly ever called. Could be a West coast thing. Latin tunes are more popular.

I did call Very Early but I cant say it turned out well.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At the Jams I attend here, everybody gets a lead sheet. Usually the Jam-leader hands out a fake book - usually The C Book (Bb+Eb versions too) - wherein we all get to call a tune. If a vocalist turns up they always have to provide lead sheets in their key of choice. Same thing if I want to call a tune that's not in the book, I have to provide lead sheets.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
same here. Sometimes people will bring their own transcriptions and copies for all. Discovering new tunes can be really fun. Lately I've been into Cole Porter. Can't believe how great tunes like 'I love you' are.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
At our jams here, Ipads/Iphones now dominate. So those who don't have the tune can just borrow somebody else's Ipad. I just leave mine at the piano.

What type of tunes do they call in Sweden Chris?

I'm gathering that in the East Coast it's more typical Bebop. West Coast seems to have a different vibe.

Before, Vocalists had to being their music. But they're not aware of Eb and Bb instruments so it's always a mess. Good thing Horn Players are very used to transposing from C. With Ipad apps, transposing became a non-issue.

Apparently, I've discovered there are levels of jams in LA. I haven't been to one of the higher level 'cut down' jams yet. I've seen some videos on Youtube so that's where the hardcore go.

The majority of jams here tend to be midlevel so I can fit right in. Now that I know so many tunes, I might actually try attending the other jams. I just have one regular one I go to.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nobody uses the iPad/iPhone (one reason is that they are at least twice the price compared to the US)at jams (though a lot of musicians have an iPhone - it's also considered "cheating" . . .), I've tried but I've found that my iPhone is to slow. It goes much faster to look it up in a book. Not only that, but the chords are often not good/not hip/down right wrong.
Using a book I can pencil in a chord change or two together with the bassist.

The tunes that are played are the same as over there on your side of the world; same books, same tunes - I would say a mix between East and West Coast. But it also depends on whom is there at the Jam. If it's more college (ex) students then its the faster Davis/Coltrane/Parker/Corea tunes, if it's the old-timers then: Tenor Madness, Just Friends, Autumn Leaves, etc

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For me, depends on the jam session. You can find a place to play almost every night. Next tuesday, I think I'll be the house pianist at one of them.
Generally we use the Realbook 1 & 2. I also have lots of pencil notes in them. I write intros to tunes and tape them to the pages, or sometimes pencil them in if there's room.

Everything from be-bop to Latin goes. Donna Lee gets called, Confirmation too, but only if the caller can play the head.

Talk about Sweden, some called Dear Old Stockholm 2 nights ago and I just said no smile. Tried it before. Couldn't hear the freaking melody, and I think I remembered the form being weird. What beautiful tune though.

We see a few ipads now, but they just use a print of the realbook. DOesn't change key or anything.

At many jams, I don't really use a book anymore. There's like 20 tunes that always get called, and I just know them.

Some of the better jam sessions, that I would be intimated to sit in, there's no book at all. Guys call tunes / keys and they just know it. Those jams also have the grand / drums and great sound setup on site.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My jam session has vocalists (on half the tunes) so that's where the constant transposing occurs. If not for that, I wouldn't need a Real Book for most tunes either.

I've become the more "senior" person now on the jams since I can handle anything they throw at me. I used to be the one to always pick the tunes but I can now take risks. Kind of a fun thing actually.

Someone actually talked to me about doing the higher level jams. Since I can play uptempo tunes now, I'm no longer out of the range if someone tries to cut me down.

One thing for sure, Knotty, frequent jams develop skills so fast. So if it's happening to me, then it's happening to you.

Maybe I'll call Donna Lee, Cherokee and Confirmation next time. One of the trumpet guys can play the head. This will get me practiced for the cut down jams smile

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Talk about Sweden, some called Dear Old Stockholm 2 nights ago and I just said no smile. Tried it before. Couldn't hear the freaking melody, and I think I remembered the form being weird. What beautiful tune though.
Yeah it's a great tune, it's based on an old folk tune called "Ack, Värmeland Du Sköna" (Oh Varmeland, you beautiful), both Miles and Stan Getz have done great versions of it (I do prefer the original . . . smile )

And on the note of vocalists, here's Sweden's foremost, if not the foremost jazz singer of her time with Bill Evans doing a rehearsal of Waltz for Debby (Swedish lyrics) Monica Z did a fabulous album with the Bill Evans Trio, not only is the singing wonderful but Bill's playing (and the trio) is stupendous!

A live version of Once Upon a Summertime (to skip the Danish MC, go to 1:10)

And a live version of Some Other Time:

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Chris what jams do you know of? I only know like two.. I used to go to No Paper jam with Andy Fite, I liked not being allowed to use sheet music.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Chris,
The tune is written in a weird way in the 6th edition. Simpler in the 5th, but still not clear exactly what the form is. Probably a few times listening would solve it.

The Monica z. video is captivating...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Chris what jams do you know of? I only know like two.. I used to go to No Paper jam with Andy Fite, I liked not being allowed to use sheet music.

I haven't been to the NPJ . . .
There's one in the Old Town, both jazz and blues jams: St Clara on Lilla Nygatan (http://www.staclaragamlastan.se/) . . . There's a blues jam at Stampen on Saturdays.
The other ones I know about are subject to invitation . . .

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Chris, The tune is written in a weird way in the 6th edition. Simpler in the 5th, but still not clear exactly what the form is. Probably a few times listening would solve it.
The Monica z. video is captivating...

The original is A + A + B + A

Here's the lead sheet for the original, which is a really beautiful tune.: http://www.box.com/s/7hz4uedfe5b7iqbl89iv

(remember it's straight eights smile )

Last edited by chrisbell; 12/23/11 12:25 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
much easier to read. So this is the entire form, yes?

Page 200 of 341 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission