2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1998471 12/12/12 05:46 PM
H
h2obuff Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi I hope someone can help.

I had to stop playing/practicing because of wrist pain. I found a teacher that expressly works with recovery who herself was nearly incapacitated as a professional pianist but learned a new technique. I had been playing out of fakebooks/jazz and used Mark Levine's book as a reference and some lessons from local jazz pianist's previously. My current teacher is strictly classical and for the time being wants me to stick with written music while my body is adjusting to the new technique.

She would love to let me work in the jazz idiom but I would like recommendations on transcriptions to use. Or would I be better off with arrangements in a jazz style? I am currently working on more scalar playing and she says that lots of intervals are still to be avoided.

I have made progress and one of the most difficult things is that I also work at a computer all day. Some of the piano things easily translate but at the computer I have a tendency to go completely by instinct since I learned to type at a real typewriter. I have found that this causes some of the pain I had been experiencing so am having to change this as well.

So, jazz transcriptions where the style is more or less not about a lot of intervalic leaps. Or suggestions of arrangements that would be a good transition.

Thank you, h2obuff

Charles Walter model 1500 upright
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Evans-Arrangements-Solo-Piano/dp/0634018728/
"Bill Evans - 19 Arrangements for Solo Piano"

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The transcriptions of Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Marian McPartland, George Shearing, and Oscar Peterson are all very good. Lee Evans and Philip Keveren also provide, IMO, jazz-sounding arrangements that are very "true" in feel and not so difficult as some of the transcription I cited above. That should give you a good start.

H
h2obuff Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you Tim and Chris!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
h2obuff ... another way to look at it (based on how i'm reading what you say) is your teacher is suggesting to stick w/written music as a way to really control the motions your hands and wrists and arms make when playing. because improvised music sometimes means letting technique go (or forgetting about technical issues) to get to whatever idea you're trying to get out through the keyboard.

so regardless of which transcription you use, you might might to above all remember to keep everything (hand, arm, wrist, fingers, etc.) as relaxed as possible). i say this because as far as i know, most stress injuries come from a non-relaxed style of playing. and while it's true that large intervals, etc. can be demanding, you really don't see the kinds of things in jazz transcriptions that you do in lizst chopin, barber, etc. those are composers who can rip hands to shreds! if their compositions are played WITHOUT relaxation!

the thing it, it's not always that easy to monitor relaxation and to know that you can always relax even more than you think! so my suggestion: pick some music you like (or let you teacher help you with that) and then above all make sure you're relaxed and then work to relax even more!

hope this helps!

H
h2obuff Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Printer1 thanks. Yes, she is saying stick to written music for exactly the reasons you say, even if I write it out myself.

One way of describing the technique she is teaching is 'tension free playing'. Certain physical habits need to be relearned and physiology cannot be ignored such as the alignment of the hand-wrist-forearm which allows the tendons that pass through the wrist to be relaxed - no inherent stress from flexion, extension or other. Each new level of difficulty from stepwise/scalar to larger intervals/arpeggios to chords offers me the opportunity to slip into old habits that I didn't realize were tension filled. Yes, simply being more relaxed but also the methods I was using to accomplish what I was doing, largely self taught technically, were filled with things that stressed the body. There are better, more efficient ways of doing all the things I had been doing and it sounds better! Thanks for your input!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission