Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997708 - 12/11/12 02:37 AM New to me RX3 arrived
jennie_hp Offline

Loc: California
Yay! the search is over. Now I can stop obsessing with piano purchase. I'm finally done. The piano exterior looks like new. The inner rim has some white chalky finish near the top edge, perhaps left over dust from the refinishing process. Can I use mineral oil to clean the inner rim of the RX3?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1997753 - 12/11/12 07:07 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: jennie_hp
Yay! the search is over. Now I can stop obsessing with piano purchase. I'm finally done. The piano exterior looks like new. The inner rim has some white chalky finish near the top edge, perhaps left over dust from the refinishing process. Can I use mineral oil to clean the inner rim of the RX3?

I hope you meant "mineral spirits", not mineral oil. smile

You may only need a barely damp cloth. If the piano is a polished finish then it may have been buffed, which requires a compound. It sounds like you are seeing some leftover compound. It should have been cleaned as part of the job, but you can just wipe it off.

Enjoy the "new" piano!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1997758 - 12/11/12 07:25 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your new-to-you piano! The RX3 is a great choice!

All the best.

Rick

#1997769 - 12/11/12 08:04 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Such a nice piano, Jennie--- congratulations!

My piano tech suggested to me that only a product especially intended for pianos be used on the case. Ordinary furniture polish is not good for pianos; Cory's Piano Polish is what he likes. You can get it from your tech or order it from PW's sister site, http://www.pianosupplies.com . To my thinking, his 'suggestions' are like Moses and the tablets... so, until you can get the right stuff, just don't look at it (unless you try Rich's solution of gently wiping with a very lightly damp cloth.)

You might also look on Kawai's website http://kawaius.com/ for care instructions, and if you have questions, contact them.

I'll just throw this in: to clean the keys, they suggest using a 1oo% soft cotton cloth, slightly dampened and wrung almost dry, with a short spray of Windex. Never let water drip between the keys. This works quite well.

Congratulations again--- and don't forget to post pictures.

#1998173 - 12/12/12 02:52 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: Jeff Clef]
jennie_hp Offline

Thank you all for your replies. I will try your suggestions to clean the piano. Here are some pix. I have the piano in the corner, which I guess is not the ideal location, but that's the only location I can use for the piano. I'm trying to quiet the piano down as it is a little loud for me. If anyone has suggestions to quiet it down based on the location I have, please let me know. I cannot move the piano to another location.

[img]http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/ttp782/media/P1010053.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9[/img]

[img]http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/ttp782/media/P1010059.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3[/img]

[img]http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/ttp782/media/P1010060.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2[/img]

#1998206 - 12/12/12 06:42 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
jennie,

The piano looks lovely. All in all, it seems like a great location.

It just seems to look a bit crammed into the corner. Do you have the space to move the rug out about 6" to a foot from the pillar wall and the staircase behind? It would "float" the whole piano area anchored by the placement of the rug. Even a small move can have a large effect on the sound.

Don't worry too much about the loudness until you have the rest of your furniture placed. Once the dining room is restored, it could sound very different to you.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1998254 - 12/12/12 09:42 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The first way to try and quiet the piano down, if you haven't already done so, would be to lower the lid and fold the front part of the lid back.

#1998271 - 12/12/12 10:27 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Lovely house--- what a setting.

As for quieting. The furnishings will help. A nice carpet under the piano helps quite a bit (I have covered-foam dog beds under mine; it is their idea of the perfect den, and they go in the washer rather than my having to vacuum and shampoo carpets). For everyday practice--- since I am trying to take it easy on my tinnitus--- I have the lid shut and the music desk is taken out and placed on top of the lid. It is actually designed for this; it took me a bit to get used to looking a little higher for the music but now it is quite natural. And it is quite a bit quieter.

For recordings, or for special occasions (including when I just want to do it), the music rack comes off and the lid comes open.

You could try making small adjustments in the piano's position, to take best advantage of the room's acoustics. As little as a few inches can make a surprising amount of difference in the sound at the player's position. No rule can really be given; only experimentation can find the sweet spot.

#1998285 - 12/12/12 10:55 AM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: Jeff Clef]
jennie_hp Offline

A member of my family also have tinnitus so we also had the lid down, but the music stand is too high for the children to look up too. I have room to move the piano, but was hoping I won't have too since we would have to lift it up and move the rug also, could push it away from the pillar a few inches without moving the rug. I was reading a previous thread regarding how to place the rug under the piano and could understand the poster's apprehension. Will wait for more furniture to arrive before making adjustments. Thanks.

#1998330 - 12/12/12 12:04 PM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I would turn the tail into the corner at 45 degrees for a nicer sound and look...

#1998367 - 12/12/12 01:08 PM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
jennie_hp Offline

That was what we thought too, but decided to try this orientation first because we read that the piano shouldn't have its tail pointed into the corner of the room to avoid sound bouncing off the corner wall. Also, a rectangular carpet wouldn't fit as nicely in the corner at 45 degree. We thought of getting a round carpet so that we can rotate the piano 360 degree w/o moving the carpet, but the round carpet was a lot more expensive and my daughter said round carpet should be in the middle of the room, not in the corner...

#1998420 - 12/12/12 02:54 PM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: jennie_hp]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I could imagine that piano looking well in that lovely spot, turned quite a few different ways--- in fact, I doubt you could find an ugly way to have it. The only 'should' to it is whether it looks right and sounds right--- to you

Two people, working together, can easily lift one leg at a time just enough to get the carpet out from under the caster. You could place the carpet at an angle (not quite under the wheels) during the experiment period. The piano will be quite easy to roll on its casters then. (That is just the carpet I imagined you would have--- handsome, the right size--- everything.)

Have you thought about what kind of music light you will use? I got a balance-arm lamp with a black marble base from http://pianosupplies.com , which I like very well.

If you put one or two short shelves on the wall against the stairs, for your music books, they will help diffuse and somewhat soften the sound reflected from that location. I find that it's not only handy, but also a nice look.

#1998483 - 12/12/12 05:02 PM Re: New to me RX3 arrived [Re: Jeff Clef]
jennie_hp Offline

I've been looking for a lamp as well. Didn't know they would cost around $300 so I'm still shopping. For the moment I can't decide to go with the floor lamp or the music stand lamp. Shelving for the music books is a great idea. I've been wondering where to put the books and didn't really want to clutter up the area with cabinets. Thanks JC.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, adrpiano, acortot, 33 invisible), 1550 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157896 Topics
2318942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission