Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
130 registered (Alan Cyr, anamnesis, acollins, ando, Alan_Dublin, 41 invisible), 1425 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1997362 - 12/10/12 01:00 PM Student is a crammer...
IPlayPiano Offline

I teach a 10 year old girl who is a transfer student. For the last 4 months we have been working on a number of pieces but focusing on only two for the winter recital (this Friday). She is very quiet and could almost go an entire lesson without saying a word. She only speaks when spoken to. Anyways, these past months I felt like we had been trudging along with these two pieces working on the same things weekly with little improvement. Well, the recital is this week and she showed up to lesson with the pieces memorized (what?!?) with all dynamics and markings observed! I said to her "You're a crammer, aren't you?" and she said "Ya" (her one word for the whole lesson). How do you deal with these types of learners? Perhaps I need to put some strict deadlines on particular goals we have for each piece?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1997367 - 12/10/12 01:15 PM Re: Student is a crammer... [Re: IPlayPiano]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
If she can do that in a week, she may very well be capable of advancing into more interesting and challenging material at a faster pace. Then again, she may have no interest in that ...

I think you need to understand her personality and her family environment a bit more before you can come up with the "right" kind of incentives.

Clearly, she has some incentive to master the material, or why else would she cram? You need to understand her current incentives and her sources of self-esteem, and then you can plan out a way to elicit more effort. If she is competitive, you can use that. If she has a strong desire to please a parent at the end of the day, perhaps you can use that. If she just wants to do enough, but dislikes looking bad during recitals, heck, you can probably use that too.

Does she seem to enjoy making music at all? Is the current work boring her? Are there carrots that you can dangle for timely completion of intermediate tasks?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1997785 - 12/11/12 08:46 AM Re: Student is a crammer... [Re: IPlayPiano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
She is probably very insecure. I had a young boy transfer student who was like this, he wouldn't say more than 2 words if I was lucky. Just give it time, and understand that they really do appreciate the time with you. Try asking a lot of open-ended questions to get to know them, and talk about yourself a bit too.

As for her progress, try challenging her a bit more. Talk with her about what you observed, and ask her if it's Ok if you set deadlines for her to accomplish certain tasks on pieces.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1998159 - 12/12/12 02:09 AM Re: Student is a crammer... [Re: IPlayPiano]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I get crammers (or PROCRASTINATORS) all the time, since my students do the CM test. The truth is: in earlier grades, they can get away with cramming the last week. You can easily memorize a few scales, chord progressions, and two pieces in two weeks. And since most of them get passed along the levels by "nice" evaluators, Level 6 is about when they'll hit a wall. Some of these crammers figure that they can put in the same amount of effort for Level 9 as they did back in Level 2 AND STILL PASS.

My solution: let them fail. Let the kids experience failure. I'm taking a page out of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Emile. This is my attitude exactly for my one Advanced student this year. He's been on cruise control since his last CM test despite my repeated warnings. He didn't even bother buy the Advanced level theory book. He touches the piano once a week during his lesson. He thinks he can just teach himself theory from the Internet the week before the test.

I was almost successful last year with this plan. Maybe this year I will be.

#1998454 - 12/12/12 04:08 PM Re: Student is a crammer... [Re: IPlayPiano]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
AZN: It's so nice to see that you don't practice this completely silly idea of 'noone left behind'. While the general sentiment is correct, the idea that one needs to reduce their standards so that noone will left behind and nobody experiences failure is quite destructive! frown

#1998590 - 12/12/12 09:12 PM Re: Student is a crammer... [Re: IPlayPiano]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Are there any regular performance opportunities available for her? (hospitals, nursing homes, etc)

Originally Posted By: IPlayPiano
I teach a 10 year old girl who is a transfer student. For the last 4 months we have been working on a number of pieces but focusing on only two for the winter recital (this Friday). She is very quiet and could almost go an entire lesson without saying a word. She only speaks when spoken to. Anyways, these past months I felt like we had been trudging along with these two pieces working on the same things weekly with little improvement. Well, the recital is this week and she showed up to lesson with the pieces memorized (what?!?) with all dynamics and markings observed! I said to her "You're a crammer, aren't you?" and she said "Ya" (her one word for the whole lesson). How do you deal with these types of learners? Perhaps I need to put some strict deadlines on particular goals we have for each piece?

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Setting up the room
by cullam
11/24/14 10:18 AM
Saint-Saens 2nd concerto - best edition (fingering)?
by Barly
11/24/14 07:09 AM
Music reading apps for iPad that use mic
by Artur Gajewski
11/24/14 03:02 AM
About Roland's PHA4 STANDARD and F-130R
by Yussnan84
11/24/14 12:55 AM
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159311 Topics
2340227 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission