2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Can the average conservatory student, even at one of the top schools, really do this(play a fugue in any requested key) or is this just something one reads about some world class composer or world class pianist occasionally being able to do?

If one made a list of the top 50 pianists(using whatever reasonable criteria one wanted) playing today, how many do you think could do this?

How about doing the same thing with something like a Beethoven Sonata?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
None of the conservatory students among my San Francisco Conservatory of Music teacher's conservatory students, several of whom are *extraordinary* musicians, could do this.

I've only met one person in my life who could do this kind of thing, and he was a once-in-a-lifetime genius. For example, he is the youngest professor ever to achieve tenure at Harvard.

-J

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My grandmother was, in her day, a nationally-regarded Soprano, and she's told the story many times that her pianist was able to transpose anything to any key at sight. Given they were employed accompanying singers, this would probably be a pretty useful skill. I'm not sure the extent to which they were able to do that, but one imagines that once you have the skill, you wouldn't be limited by the music.

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jolteon
My grandmother was, in her day, a nationally-regarded Soprano, and she's told the story many times that her pianist was able to transpose anything to any key at sight.

Not all music is the same in this regard. I believe it with most song accompaniments; I don't believe it with fugues.

-J

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Jolteon
My grandmother was, in her day, a nationally-regarded Soprano, and she's told the story many times that her pianist was able to transpose anything to any key at sight. Given they were employed accompanying singers, this would probably be a pretty useful skill. I'm not sure the extent to which they were able to do that, but one imagines that once you have the skill, you wouldn't be limited by the music.
Actually, I think transposing a typical song accompaniment is far different and probably far easier than transposing a Bach Fugue or even a Beethoven Sonata.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Actually, I think transposing a typical song accompaniment is far different and probably far easier than transposing a Bach Fugue or even a Beethoven Sonata.
Depends on the song accompaniment, of course. It would make a difference to me with the fugue or sonata if I was sight-reading (and therefore sight-transposing), or actually knew the piece quite well, which would make it an easier task. I think, for example, I could have a reasonable crack right now at playing the minuet and trio from op31/3 in any key. But a fugue? Well I'd try it if I had to, I'd far rather have the song accompaniment.

Du holde Kunst...
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Talented organ players can do it, no problem. I had a friend who sat the entrance exam at the Paris Conservatory and he had to sight read a fugue which was switching between 7 different clefs. If you can read all the clefs, transposition is a doddle.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beet31425
I don't believe it with fugues.

But possible perhaps.

Cesar Franck, age 16 at a piano competition at the Paris Conservatiore, was given a difficult piece to read at sight. Not only did he play it perfectly, he transposed it on the run from Eb to C. (Evidently gave the jury a moment for pause.) He may very well have been able to do that with a fugue.

(I first read this in Schonberg's book 'The Great Composers', but it is also backed up in R.J. Stove's recent scholarly bio of Franck from 2012.)

For all that, I've read some rather alarmingly heroic anecdotes about the abilities of the great organist Marcel Dupre. There seemed almost nothing he couldn't do. He could improvise a complex fugue on the spot -and often did so in recital- and I should not be surprised if he could also transpose any fugue at sight.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is a very rare quality to be able to transpose a fugue in your mind like that. So "the average conservatory student" (as the OP states in his first post) would most probably not be able to do that.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher in Hawaii told me that Adele Ous de Ohe (spelling) transposed all the preludes and fugues into all the keys.

Seems some are gifted that way. I would have trouble transposing almost anything to another key.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Varcon
My teacher in Hawaii told me that Adele Ous de Ohe (spelling) transposed all the preludes and fugues into all the keys.

"all" means 1056 (= 96 pieces * 11 keys) transposings! That's a lot! smile

-J

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ando
Talented organ players can do it, no problem. I had a friend who sat the entrance exam at the Paris Conservatory and he had to sight read a fugue which was switching between 7 different clefs. If you can read all the clefs, transposition is a doddle.

Obviously, there are Swiss Cheese-like holes in my learning.

I am aware of the treble clef, also known as the G-clef.
I am aware of the bass clef, also known as the F-clef.
I am aware of the two versions of the C-clef, one known as the alto clef, and the other known as the tenor clef.
I am even aware of the French violin clef, as a different positioning of the G-clef.

Those are only 5. Would you be so kind as to fill in my 2 blank voids?

(always learning . . .) Thanks,
Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
T
T
My copy of The Oxford Companion to Music lists the G,F and the three C clefs you mention. I would guess the extra two clefs are the C clef on the second line from the bottom and on the top line of the stave. Thus the C clef gets to be placed on any line of the 5, plus the G and F clefs, making 7 "clefs" in all. Just the sort of thing organists seem to be able to take in their stride, like figured basses, although a bit of a perverse thing to be asked to sight-read in an audition, IMO.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There are more clefs, but some are not in use any more.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Toastburn
My copy of The Oxford Companion to Music lists the G,F and the three C clefs you mention. I would guess the extra two clefs are the C clef on the second line from the bottom and on the top line of the stave. Thus the C clef gets to be placed on any line of the 5, plus the G and F clefs, making 7 "clefs" in all.

Toastburn,
I appreciate your response, and I am not attempting to sharp-shoot anything here. Do you know this for a fact, that the "movable" C-clef can reside on any of the five lines of its staff?

And just to clarify, the French violin clef involves the G-clef, not the C-clef.

Thanks,
Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
T
T
As I said, my response was a guess. I admit I don't know for a fact that what I said is true - just a guess that seems to me to explain things. I can't think of any reason why the C clef could not be on any of the 5 lines, except for reasons of habit and common practice/familiarity. If there are a couple of exotic other clefs in existence then I'd love to know about them. I can't find anything more in my OCTM to help.

A perennially hopeful amateur!
Pianos: Boston GP178,
Currently attempting: Bach: WTC I/1,5;II/12; Chopin Polonaise in A; Etude 10/5; Brahms Op 118 No 2 Intermezzo in D; Scarlatti Sonata L23.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Toastburn
As I said, my response was a guess. I admit I don't know for a fact that what I said is true - just a guess that seems to me to explain things. I can't think of any reason why the C clef could not be on any of the 5 lines, except for reasons of habit and common practice/familiarity. If there are a couple of exotic other clefs in existence then I'd love to know about them. I can't find anything more in my OCTM to help.

Yes, I can confirm this. A C clef can be placed on any line of a staff. So yes, 5 C clefs + F and G clefs = 7 clefs.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
If you knew those WTC fugues cold (i.e., memorized) I imagine it would not be that difficult to transpose them. But it would require that intimate familiarity.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
If you knew those WTC fugues cold (i.e., memorized) I imagine it would not be that difficult to transpose them. But it would require that intimate familiarity.

People who are very good at transposition don't read music the same way we do - that is, they don't look so much at actual pitch as they see intervals very acutely. It's a whole different way of reading music. My harmony tutors at university were mostly organ players and they could transpose anything we wrote, straight away.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Varcon

Seems some are gifted that way. I would have trouble transposing almost anything to another key.

I think some are also trained that way. Or, at least, they once were.

IIRC, Czerny had his students learn to do it, which helps account for why Liszt, as a Czerny pupil, was able to impress Beethoven by being able to transpose a fugue from the WTC. He had some experience with it. About that anecdote, it is interesting that Beethoven even thought of asking for such a thing - it almost sounds as if it might have been something he would expect from a highly skilled adult musician, doesn't it? And maybe he knew it was something Czerny taught, so he was testing Liszt to see if he had reached that stage of learning at a tender age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission