Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998644 - 12/12/12 10:54 PM "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
Readers of the Piano Technicians Journal and other interested individuals: The series "Small Shop, Big Results" which I began writing in 2008 is now on-line and available for free download - click here to have a look. When on the website page, click on the titles (not the cover images) to look over the articles. Every segment except for the last 3 months worth is included.

If you have any interest in writing up a repair procedure yourself, have a look at the format used - these articles are exactly as they were sent to the editors for consideration. Once an article is edited for typos and grammar, the photo editor lays it out and arranges the photos.

If you have specialized or detailed knowledge of some area of piano technology, I would encourage you to consider writing up your methods - it can be both fun and rewarding! If you're not an experienced writer, just focus on putting what you know in a straight-forward manner. Fancy language and clever ways of putting things is unnecessary.

I hope that having this series of articles available is helpful and of interest. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to voice them. Chuck Behm

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1999095 - 12/13/12 06:06 PM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: Chuck Behm]
Acca Offline

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

#1999256 - 12/14/12 04:01 AM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: Chuck Behm]
Mark R. Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Thanks, Chuck, I started yesterday with the three articles on upright pinblock panel replacement. Fascinating reading.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#1999287 - 12/14/12 07:08 AM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: Chuck Behm]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Thanks, Chuck!

Gosh I wish there were two of me so I could get into re-whatevering.

#1999414 - 12/14/12 01:07 PM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: Chuck Behm]
MacDan Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks for sharing, Chuck!

I am not a tech, nor do I plan on becoming one, but as a furniture builder I am fascinated by the construction and workings of pianos. Your tutorials, if you will, are very informative and have found them all (so far) extremely engaging.

I have already read through the harp removal set and will be going through the rest this weekend.

Thank you from someone who wants to better understand how these wonderful instruments are put together and work.

Dan

#1999602 - 12/14/12 09:58 PM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: MacDan]
Chuck Behm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boone, Iowa, USA
Hey thanks, Mark, Jeff and Dan (and Acca?) for your comments. There's a couple points I would like to make to everyone:

1. I don't want anyone to think that in writing up procedures I'm making any claim that the methods I use are preferred. They are just the way I do things in my shop, and I realize fully that opinions vary, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt. For those procedures that you haven't tried before, consider my methods as a starting point in coming up with a method that works for you.

2. I would encourage anyone who is not a member of the PTG to consider subscribing to the Piano Technicians Journal anyway. Subscription rates to the Journal for non-members is $150 a year (for 12 issues). (If you don't find $150 worth of ideas in a year's worth of issues, you're not reading very carefully.)

Back in the early 1970's when I was just getting into the business I started reading each month's issue of the Journal - my dad subscribed continuously for a number of years although he never joined the guild himself. I learned a ton from reading the likes of Jack Krefting and Susan Graham, and even though I didn't join the guild for a number of years (after I had been in business for 30 years, to be exact), I always felt a close kinship with the members of the organization. They seemed to be my kind of people!

As a current guild member, I'm just one of many authors who contribute a wealth of ideas to the magazine every month. Most of the authors are more accomplished in their specialized area of the trade than I am (I seem to know a little bit about a lot of things - my knowledge stream is wide, but not very deep!), so if you enjoy my offerings, you're really going to like what other, more accomplished technicians have to share.

Anyway, food for thought. If you try the Journal for a year and don't enjoy it as much as I think you will, what are you out? A couple tunings? That's unlikely to happen, anyway. More likely will be that you enjoy reading each month's issue, and go back to them time and time again as you build your business.

For now, I hope you enjoy my articles. Please excuse any typos that you find (these are the rough drafts, remember). If you have any questions about described procedures, please ask on this forum so I may reply to everyone.

Best wishes, Chuck Behm

Edited by Chuck Behm (12/14/12 10:48 PM)

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke

#1999646 - 12/15/12 12:52 AM Re: "Small Shop, Big Results" series now online [Re: Chuck Behm]
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello Chuck

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging contribution.

All the best!

Regards,

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Abby Pianoman, aDino, ajames, anamnesis, Alex1, 37 invisible), 1748 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156280 Topics
2295158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
10 minutes 3 seconds ago
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
39 minutes 19 seconds ago
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission