2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I had a conversation with my composition professor the other day about crescendo markings, and I'm not sure I 100% agree with him. He says that using a cresc. mark and using the hairpin < markings are interchangable and the < marks should not be used across barlines. I disagree. I think the a crescendo mark is a gradual build across x number of measure, and the < mark, particularly if used in sequences [like doing a series of <<<< markings] signifies for more swelling dynamics, rather than a gradual build. He told me to correct a mark in my score where I had multiple < marks rather than just a cresc. but I think to the performer those two things will come across differently. with a < you start small and grow, so a series of them implies multiple swells from soft to loud. I also think that these marking, sometimes because of phrasing, are needed to go across barlines to get the desired effect.

Opinions? Obviously my professor has been around a lot longer than I have and knows more, but this is just more or less how I got taught the difference between the markings, but I'm more than willing to be wrong.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In my head I think that a cresc. marking is for longer phrases, while a hairpin is for smaller phrases. That said your professor is not exactly wrong or absurd when he says that a hairpin should not cross a barline, but in reality this can take place some times.

When you put multiple hairpins one next to the other like < < < < < you're practically asking for small swells each one at approximately the same loudness level, rather than anything else.

The problem with a hairpin is that it usually gets in the way of things (legato slurs, higher or lower notes of each staff, etc), so it's not practical to keep it around for too long. On the other hand having a cresc. sign is also confusing, because in reality you're just telling the performer to play something louder little by little, but you give no instruction as to how fast you want him/her to go louder and for how long. wink

T
OP Offline
T
Well glad to know I wasn't completely off base! I guess it's just REALLY difficult to notate your exact idea of dynamics to a performer without giving to much or being confusing! But I guess that's where a performers "interpretation" of a piece comes into play. The goal should be to give a skilled performer enough information to get the message across and they fill in the rest, I guess.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
To add to Nikolas' insight, there are certain ways for the composer to impose more of his intention on his piece.

"Increase in loudness, from very soft to very loud, gradually, and over a long stretch"
pp .cres. . . poco a poco . . p . . a poco . . f . . molto . . ff

"Make waves of soft-to-loud"
p < f . . . p < f . . . p < f . . . p < f

"Make waves of soft-to-loud, each wave starting softer"
f < ff . . . mf < f . . . mp < mf . . . p < mp . . . pp < p

"Decrease in loudness, gradually, but not too much"
decres . . . poco a poco . . . non troppo

In the interest of following a school of teaching, do as your professor suggests, AND know that these exist.
Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There you go then. You heard it first from the horses mouth: None other than Ed, a Sicilian! wink

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
What are you doing awake at this hour? Why, it must be fifteen o'clock over there.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti
What are you doing awake at this hour? Why, it must be fifteen o'clock over there.

Fifteen? No, not quite fifteen smile 9.30am now in Greece, 8.30am here in Italy. In fact I think it might be more appropriate to say what are YOU doing up at this hour? 2.30am?

p.s. Yes, I know you were joking -- me too smile I couldn't resist.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti
I'm actually unable to sleep in the morning. I posted at 05:35 which was more than half an hour since I woke up...

I think it's got something to do with either the workload I have or the fact that my wife is working away from Greece (or both)...

Still, I think that I'm getting at maximum 5 hours of sleep daily, which is very little considering my age (35) and the things that I do.

I just hope that over Christmas I'll be able to crash sleep througout a few days...

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Ciao, Cas',

I might know you would be here to keep me honest - or accurate - or, at least, paying attention.

Ora, sono molto stanco.
Buona notte!
LoPresti

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission