Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
156 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, ajames, activee, 36251, 46 invisible), 1653 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1998578 - 12/12/12 08:50 PM Difference between crescendo markings
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I had a conversation with my composition professor the other day about crescendo markings, and I'm not sure I 100% agree with him. He says that using a cresc. mark and using the hairpin < markings are interchangable and the < marks should not be used across barlines. I disagree. I think the a crescendo mark is a gradual build across x number of measure, and the < mark, particularly if used in sequences [like doing a series of <<<< markings] signifies for more swelling dynamics, rather than a gradual build. He told me to correct a mark in my score where I had multiple < marks rather than just a cresc. but I think to the performer those two things will come across differently. with a < you start small and grow, so a series of them implies multiple swells from soft to loud. I also think that these marking, sometimes because of phrasing, are needed to go across barlines to get the desired effect.

Opinions? Obviously my professor has been around a lot longer than I have and knows more, but this is just more or less how I got taught the difference between the markings, but I'm more than willing to be wrong.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1998650 - 12/12/12 11:05 PM Re: Difference between crescendo markings [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
In my head I think that a cresc. marking is for longer phrases, while a hairpin is for smaller phrases. That said your professor is not exactly wrong or absurd when he says that a hairpin should not cross a barline, but in reality this can take place some times.

When you put multiple hairpins one next to the other like < < < < < you're practically asking for small swells each one at approximately the same loudness level, rather than anything else.

The problem with a hairpin is that it usually gets in the way of things (legato slurs, higher or lower notes of each staff, etc), so it's not practical to keep it around for too long. On the other hand having a cresc. sign is also confusing, because in reality you're just telling the performer to play something louder little by little, but you give no instruction as to how fast you want him/her to go louder and for how long. wink

#1998678 - 12/12/12 11:53 PM Re: Difference between crescendo markings [Re: TrueMusic]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Well glad to know I wasn't completely off base! I guess it's just REALLY difficult to notate your exact idea of dynamics to a performer without giving to much or being confusing! But I guess that's where a performers "interpretation" of a piece comes into play. The goal should be to give a skilled performer enough information to get the message across and they fill in the rest, I guess.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1998689 - 12/13/12 12:20 AM Difference between crescendo markings [Re: TrueMusic]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
To add to Nikolas' insight, there are certain ways for the composer to impose more of his intention on his piece.

"Increase in loudness, from very soft to very loud, gradually, and over a long stretch"
pp .cres. . . poco a poco . . p . . a poco . . f . . molto . . ff

"Make waves of soft-to-loud"
p < f . . . p < f . . . p < f . . . p < f

"Make waves of soft-to-loud, each wave starting softer"
f < ff . . . mf < f . . . mp < mf . . . p < mp . . . pp < p

"Decrease in loudness, gradually, but not too much"
decres . . . poco a poco . . . non troppo

In the interest of following a school of teaching, do as your professor suggests, AND know that these exist.
Ed

#1998698 - 12/13/12 12:31 AM Re: Difference between crescendo markings [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

There you go then. You heard it first from the horses mouth: None other than Ed, a Sicilian! wink

#1998737 - 12/13/12 02:24 AM Difference between crescendo markings [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What are you doing awake at this hour? Why, it must be fifteen o'clock over there.

#1998739 - 12/13/12 02:31 AM Re: Difference between crescendo markings [Re: LoPresti]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
What are you doing awake at this hour? Why, it must be fifteen o'clock over there.

Fifteen? No, not quite fifteen smile 9.30am now in Greece, 8.30am here in Italy. In fact I think it might be more appropriate to say what are YOU doing up at this hour? 2.30am?

p.s. Yes, I know you were joking -- me too smile I couldn't resist.

#1998741 - 12/13/12 02:34 AM Re: Difference between crescendo markings [Re: LoPresti]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
I'm actually unable to sleep in the morning. I posted at 05:35 which was more than half an hour since I woke up...

I think it's got something to do with either the workload I have or the fact that my wife is working away from Greece (or both)...

Still, I think that I'm getting at maximum 5 hours of sleep daily, which is very little considering my age (35) and the things that I do.

I just hope that over Christmas I'll be able to crash sleep througout a few days...

#1998742 - 12/13/12 02:37 AM Difference between crescendo markings [Re: casinitaly]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ciao, Cas',

I might know you would be here to keep me honest - or accurate - or, at least, paying attention.

Ora, sono molto stanco.
Buona notte!
LoPresti

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
3 minutes 8 seconds ago
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
32 minutes 34 seconds ago
Question about hanno.
by activee
Today at 02:42 PM
How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?
by ppianist
Today at 02:34 PM
Moving from desert to ocean
by cullam
Today at 02:00 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160061 Topics
2350568 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission