Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998695 - 12/13/12 12:30 AM Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building?
kaismom Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is a rather dumb question but...
I have a Schimmel Konzert grand piano. My husband and I would like to consider moving to a downtown high rise in my retirement. I am of an age these things are in consideration. If I lived in a high rise, would my neighbors hear me and complain? I play couple 1 to 2 hours every day. How does it work in a concrete high rise?

There must be a lot of city dwellers with grand pianos on this forum.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1998717 - 12/13/12 01:13 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Of course you can! Many of us, myself included, tune in high-rise condos and apartments. Anything of relatively new construction will probably have been designed to minimize noises to and from other units. Just make sure your piano will fit in the elevator before you sign on the dotted line!
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1998724 - 12/13/12 01:29 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
kaismom Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I did not word that well. What I really want to know is how does piano playing work in terms of neighbor relations? Do you play a lot? Does the sound carry enough to get complaint from neighbors?

Do you live in a concrete building?

What do you look for in construction quality?

#1998774 - 12/13/12 06:34 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
One place to start might be by asking the building's management, or, if possible, by arranging a tour of the premises at a time when people will be home and doing things like watching television, etc--- try to see for yourself how much sound leakage is evident in the corridors, etc. Or, you might informally survey residents who are coming and going in the lobby, and ask them about noise problems from their neighbors.

I would imagine that in a modern high-rise with concrete-and-steel construction you would probably be fine. But I think it's a smart move to try to find out first. If noise is a problem, the neighbors would probably not be shy about telling you--- not that I would classify your piano playing as 'noise'--- certainly not.

There are ordinary measures most of us take to spare our neighbors--- carpeting, playing at hours when they won't be disturbed, etc. Also, if your prospective close neighbors in the new building are fanatics about silence and are frequent complainers, the management is probably well aware of it.

I don't live in a high-rise, but several of my neighbors are musicians. The sound is just audible outside their residences, but not disturbing. I hope this works out for you.

#1998778 - 12/13/12 06:52 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Of course you can have a grand piano in an apartment building--many people do! As long as you comply with building rules and are considerate about not playing too late at night or too early in the morning, you will be fine. And, as Beethoven986 says, check the elevator size, especially if the building is old. People in apartment buildings have to be flexible with each other, given that people living in them do things like raise children, cook, watch TV, have parties, host guests, etc. As long as everyone is considerate, everyone should be entitled to live their own lives. At least that is what I think.

#1998895 - 12/13/12 11:44 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If you are considering a condominium, take a close look at the strata by-laws for anything regarding noise: restrictions, limitations, and rights of the residents to play music during reasonable hours.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1999105 - 12/13/12 06:36 PM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: kaismom
I play couple 1 to 2 hours every day. How does it work in a concrete high rise?

Of course you can have a piano in a concrete high rise. On a warm day if windows are opened, your neighbors could hear you, but for the most part, it doesn't bother them if your windows are closed.

#1999233 - 12/14/12 12:55 AM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
There are also strategies for doing some soundproofing, and not necessarily at great expense. Many threads about this over the years.

Carpeting and good underpad (versus wood floor) is one basic idea.

#1999592 - 12/14/12 09:39 PM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
ventil Offline

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: kaismom
My husband and I would like to consider moving to a downtown high rise in my retirement.

Assuming the building is not specifically a retirement community, most of your neighbors will not be home between 9 AM and 5 PM. Since you will move there after retirement, you could do your playing between during those hours and avoid many potential problems.

This, combined with other advice on this thread, you just might be able to avoid all problems.

#1999626 - 12/14/12 11:55 PM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Check out this post: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1994403/Searchpage/2/Main/138992/Words/floor/Search/true/Re:%20Got%20my%20grand%20up%20to%20the%2036t.html#Post1994403

#1999628 - 12/14/12 11:57 PM Re: Can you have a grand piano in a high rise building? [Re: kaismom]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Check out this post: [url=http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1994403/Searchpage/2/Main/138992/Words/floor/Search/true/Re:%20Got%20my%20grand%20up%20to%20the%2036t.html#Post1994403][/url]

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (AmateurBob, Almaviva, 36251, 44 invisible), 1644 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153604 Topics
2251263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
04/20/14 01:05 PM
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
04/20/14 01:01 PM
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
04/20/14 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
04/20/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission