Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 88 of 203 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1258618 - 08/29/09 04:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
bobjr Offline

I been working on Alfred's Book for a few months now and I have finally reached the songs at the end. According to the book, there is nothing new here and I should be able to play them. "Amazing Grace" and "Over the Rainbow" I picked up fairly quickly.

"The Entertainer" I am having a slight issue with the way the song sounds. After the intro on the 2nd Bar there is a right hand C and a left hand 3rd followed quick by another left hand C... Am I supposed to be playing both these notes? Maybe I am not as familiar with the song as I thought, but it sounds like there is an extra note that doesn't belong. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1259542 - 08/31/09 10:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
Quagles Offline

Unfortunately I can't answer,but I can bump the topic at least. Ive recently learned little Brown Jug, finally its probably the song I've been stuck on the most. Unfortunately been hit by a terrible cold now so I can't motivate myself to start on chiapanecas, well I tried but reading the notes was very hard, so I think ill just repeat what I know until I recover.

#1259659 - 08/31/09 01:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I've been goofing off a bit this summer, and so to get back on track I've reviewed everything from BTMD on for a day or two. I'm now working on "O Sole Mio". Having a bit of trouble with the timing. I always seem to have more trouble with timing on slow pieces than fast ones. So far, I'm only working on the RH. I haven't tried LH or HT yet, but I'm wondering what to do when I get to that arpeggiated chord. Do I start with the LH and finger on up to the RH, or do I start them both together? That is, am I doing two arpeggios in a row, or one merged one? I tried to see what PianoNoob did in his video, but I couldn't tell. Any help with this would be appreciated.

I took a look at the "Claire de Lune from scratch" thread, and it looks really interesting. Part of me wants to try it, and part of me wants to put all my efforts into the last few pieces in Book 1. I think they will take all my time and energy and then some. I guess the "from scratch" thread will always be there.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1259942 - 08/31/09 09:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
bobjr Offline

Since they line up exactly I would say you do them at the same time... lowest notes on both cords and then roll into the higher notes.

#1259972 - 08/31/09 09:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
pianoprodigal Offline

Loc: Southeast Pa.
Hello folks, I'm back after a long absence from the board with a new, more appropriate screen name. I appreciate you all and will encourage you all the
time as I need it myself. You seem to be about where I was when I left the keys
about six months ago. Now I will have to go back much further for a few weeks to get back into "time". Many blessings to you and talk to you soon.

#1260115 - 09/01/09 05:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pianoprodigal]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
@pianoprodigal: welcome back to the board! laugh

@mom3gram: My teacher made me play the arpeggio from the LH to RH, depressing one note at at time, keeping the keys down until I've played the highest note.
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1260167 - 09/01/09 08:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, bobir and marimorimo - it seems that the vote is tied. LOL I will try both and see what happens, but I'm leaning toward doing it as marimorimo's teacher said.

#1260199 - 09/01/09 10:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Mom3gram.
i was taught to play that arpeggio starting with the left hand and keeping each key down rolling up through the right like marimorino. I think it sounds good that way too.

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 2 Danny Boy, Canon in D, Simply Joplin Bethena Solace.

#1260215 - 09/01/09 10:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wj3]
BarbVA Offline

My teacher said the same thing as Marimorimo and Wj3, except she added that when playing it fast, you can almost play the two right hand notes at the same time for the same effect.

#1260256 - 09/01/09 11:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay, thanks a bunch!

#1260291 - 09/01/09 12:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
oudeis Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Each arpeggiated chord is indicated by a wavy line. If the line extends from the bottom of the bass cleff up to the top of the treble cleff (as in O Sole Mio), then it is a single arpeggio, meaning that all notes are played in succession.

If there are 2 wavy lines, one only spanning the notes on the bass cleff, and one only spanning the notes on the treble cleff, it means that there are two simultaneous arpeggios. Both hands would start at the same time.

#1260427 - 09/01/09 03:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: oudeis]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, oudeis, that makes a lot of sense. :-)

#1260432 - 09/01/09 04:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Quagles Offline

Does anyone have a listenable version of Auld Lang Syne? It looked much easier than Chiapanecas so I decided to start with that instead, but I don't think I've ever heard this song, unlike most others in the book. I see there's many on youtube, but the Alfred versions are often a bit different, sometimes simplified or with a different tempo so they don't make me a 100% sure if I'm doing this right. Still in early stages and though and just started getting the lH down, but this one looks easier than the jug and chiapanecas at least.

So I don't suppose anyone gave it a recording when passing through it? :p

#1260557 - 09/01/09 07:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
bobjr Offline

Well, I guess that settles it then. Thank you oudeis, not sure why i didnt pick up on that. O Sole Mio arpeggio line goes all the way through, and later on when i got to songs like Over the Rainbow the arpeggio lines don't connect. I think this is 1 thing that was never specifically stated in the book, unless i somehow missed it.

I can finally play "Singing in the Rain", so I got 2 more songs to go before I finish the book... although I think when I am done I will go back and review some of the other songs, see if i can still play them before I buy book 2.

#1260802 - 09/02/09 02:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
marimorimo Offline

@Quagles: Sorry I don't have a recorded version of Auld Lang Syne (I'm planning to buy a midi-to-USB cable this month for recording purposes though), but Auld Lang Syne is such a familiar carol sung during the holidays. You've probably heard of it before without realizing it. You're right - that song is somewhat easier than LBJ and Chiapanecas. But I recommend that you don't skip out on those 2 songs entirely because they prepare you for jumping around a bit more on the keyboard, and later pieces do require more jumping around. I find the hard part of Chiapanecas is just the first 1/4 of the piece, then the rest is quite easy so hang in there. Back to Auld Lang Syne - just play it slow, and don't forget to COUNT. I think the Alfred version is a bit on the slow and mellow side compared to other versions so you really need to count the beats evenly so it doesn't come out all hurried in places.

Speaking of counting, I've been slacking in counting all throughout the piece these past few weeks and my teacher did catch uneven rhythm in a few places so I have to slow down and 'befriend' the metronome once again XD I'm currently working on Raisins and Almonds while polishing up Scarborough Fair. What's frustrating me about Scarborough Fair is that it isn't even really hard (I was able to pick it up quite easily), but I keep on making these stupid bungling mistakes x_x Argh.
30th Week Playing Piano

#1260962 - 09/02/09 11:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
Kanadka Offline

Loc: Canada
I had my first piano lesson yesterday - we worked on Go dowm, Moses. I could play it pretty well, or so I thought. What a difference in dynamics! Plus we started using the pedal. Mostly I'd either concentrate on pedaling right and forget all about the dynamics or do a nice dynamic but forget to pedal, or to my embarassment manage to hit the wrong key and totally lose my place in the song. I'm sure it'll get better. ( I hope it'll get better soon) On my own I started Raisins and Almonds and I love love love this song. I hope to make it much more musical too. It's one of my favourites in Alfred's.

#1260974 - 09/02/09 11:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Kanadka]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I know what you mean about the pedal. For the first several months I had an inexpensive keyboard with no pedal. I had already learned several pieces in Alfred would have used the pedal. Then I got my digital piano with stand and three pedals. I had already passed the pieces with beginning pedal, and had trouble adding pedal to the new pieces, so I had to go back and relearn some of the easier "pedal pieces". I still feel uncoordinated when using it, and it does make me make mistakes in other areas when I concentrate on the pedal. I need to take a day each week to just play some of the older "pedal pieces".

#1261326 - 09/02/09 08:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
bobjr Offline

how about these tied notes? do you play them twice? or just ignore them the second time. It says to hold down for the combined amount, do you just let go when you get to it or do you play it again?

#1261356 - 09/02/09 09:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Quagles
Does anyone have a listenable version of Auld Lang Syne? It looked much easier than Chiapanecas so I decided to start with that instead, but I don't think I've ever heard this song, unlike most others in the book. I see there's many on youtube, but the Alfred versions are often a bit different, sometimes simplified or with a different tempo so they don't make me a 100% sure if I'm doing this right. Still in early stages and though and just started getting the lH down, but this one looks easier than the jug and chiapanecas at least.

So I don't suppose anyone gave it a recording when passing through it? :p

"Auld Lang Syne"
http://www.box.net/shared/pi7kvcn2a7

Quagles,

Here is my "Auld Lang Syne" It is pretty true to form with the exception that I played broken chords in the left hand instead of triads. So, hopefully it will not be confusing to you.

In looking back I realized I did not post my "Rasins and Almonds" and it was one of my absolute favorites.
"Rasins and Almonds"
http://www.box.net/shared/8m2b4ohy4u

#1261371 - 09/02/09 10:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
marimorimo Offline

Originally Posted By: bobjr
how about these tied notes? do you play them twice? or just ignore them the second time. It says to hold down for the combined amount, do you just let go when you get to it or do you play it again?

I believe the standard rule is to hold it for the combined number of beats (for 2 half notes tied, hold the key for the duration of 1 whole note).
30th Week Playing Piano

#1261389 - 09/02/09 10:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Hello there book #1 peeps!

I just thought I'd pop in and give you all a pat on the back and thumb

It's kind of "spQQky" (in a good way) to see people just starting out on their journey of playing the piano. Keep it up, some great stuff in here. Before you know it you'll have recital medals under your signatures and will be flowing through #2 and onwards to #3.

Just wanted to stop in and say HI...

SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1261475 - 09/03/09 12:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TTigg]
bobjr Offline

Thanks for the responses... my main issue is I find it hard to determine whether or not I am looking at a tied note? It seems some notes are being played and some are not... I am pretty confused now.

#1261486 - 09/03/09 01:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
marimorimo Offline

@bobjr: tied notes have curved lines connecting them. Also, it can only be a tied note if the the consecutive note is the the same as the previous one (same pitch). If there is a curve but the notes are different pitches, it's called a slur, where the notes are played connected (legato).
30th Week Playing Piano

#1261537 - 09/03/09 03:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
bobjr Offline

So basically the syncopated note has a tied note attached to it that does not get played. Anytime you see the curved lines on the same pitch even with a cord.. all that means is just to hold it down for 1/4 beat more or whatever the case may be. I was playing it wrong this whole time, but it didn't start to sound bad until I guess I am going to have to start over, at least I can play all the songs I just have to make sure to leave out the extra notes that i was putting in.

#1261756 - 09/03/09 11:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
Kanadka Offline

Loc: Canada
Carl Mc, thank you for posting your recordings. I loved them. Raisins and Almonds is my favourite, but you are playing it slower and much more musical than I am so far. I need to work on that (i've only started it a couple of days ago)

Auld Lang Syne sounds great with broken cords, I'm going to try that when I get home today. Thanks for an idea.

#1262118 - 09/03/09 10:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Kanadka]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Quote:
Auld Lang Syne sounds great with broken cords, I'm going to try that when I get home today. Thanks for an idea.

Thank You, I like the broken cords as well... it gives it a "music box" quality.

#1262132 - 09/03/09 11:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
Chantal13 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I just bought Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course (Level 1) yesterday. I had no idea that I was buying such a popular book! I hope to be starting piano lessons in the very near future, so I figured I'd get ahead of the game and do some reading while I wait for my digital piano.

I look forward to joining you guys in here once I get going. It's great to see that there is a lively community here.

#1262261 - 09/04/09 09:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Chantal13]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Well I had my first piano lesson Wednesday night. I am paying for an extra 20 minutes tacked on to the end of my son's weekly lesson.

My teacher said that the Alfred's and other adult books maybe move too fast, and she assigned me some easy pieces from a Faber level 2A kids book. Lots of funny little pictures and simple melodies.

But she said by all means keep up Alfred. She just wants to make sure I didn't rush too fast getting to where I am in AIO Book 1. (I'm up to O Sole Mio, having just finished Good People, Chiapenecas, and LBJ.)

She also has me working on two-octave scales, which feels a bit more grown-up to me.

On the other hand she was very complimentary of my hand position and the feeling in my playing, and said that I have natural ability and really should stick with it. Part of that I'm sure is to get me to stick with the lessons, but it felt good to be validated.

Have a great long weekend everyone ---

#1262543 - 09/04/09 06:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Zenobe]
bobjr Offline

Does anyone know where i can listen to someone playing "Laura".. I saw some clips on Youtube, but they are mostly very advanced players and they don't seem to be playing this simplified version. Thanks.

#1263414 - 09/06/09 11:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
"Blow the Man Down"

AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh..

Everything was going so smoothly until this one frown

Just how frustrating can you get. I've been doing so well in the 5 weeks since I started, but this one has me stumped more than any other so far.

Page 88 of 203 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
38 minutes 14 seconds ago
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
40 minutes 3 seconds ago
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Today at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Today at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (aesop, 36251, AZ_Astro, 41 invisible), 1097 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315385 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission