2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I am working with a client in San Diego who owns a 1986 Steinway D.

The piano has an original set of ONE-PIECE ivory keytops. I heard comments about New York Steinway having built a number of pianos in / around 1986 with ivory keytops.

Does anyone have specifics on how many or for how long New York Steinway added such a valuable bonus on their new pianos (I assume Model Ds only?).

Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited by bosendorferman; 12/13/12 01:39 AM.

Louis Spencer-Smith
MY PERFECT PIANO com
former - Bosendorfer Pianos of Las Vegas
now - International Piano Brokerage for
Bosendorfer, Hamburg and New York Steinway & Sons Pianos
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
No idea, but my alma mater has such an instrument (A NY model D), and the serial number dates to 1987-1988.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I doubt Steinway has put ivory on their keys in the past 50 years, but they may have someone else do it as a special order. They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops. I certainly would not expect them to cover it with a warranty.

Semipro Tech
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Only someone who can't play and has no experience with concert giving would assert something sooooooo false. Have you forgotten that your technical work is done for a purpose, an artistic end ?

Belligerent, opinionated, abusive. It's always the same.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by BDB
I doubt Steinway has put ivory on their keys in the past 50 years, but they may have someone else do it as a special order. They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops. I certainly would not expect them to cover it with a warranty.

Greetings,
They stopped using ivory because it was too expensive. Then, the CITES treaty sealed the deal. It is the best material for key tops that any of my customers have ever seen. If one hasn't the tactile sensitivity to distinguish between the two, plastic is a lot better.
Regards,

T
T
I was working at a S&S dealership at this time, as I remember it was a $4000.00 option. Two D's were sold with Ivory and one of the C&A pool D's had Ivory. All one piece and thicker than any NY two piece. They may have been some of the first KLUGE boards? Renner stacks on the B's and D's started coming from the factory around the same time as standard.
All the Best!

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Only someone who can't play and has no experience with concert giving would assert something sooooooo false. Have you forgotten that your technical work is done for a purpose, an artistic end ?

Belligerent, opinionated, abusive. It's always the same.

I suspect that I have a lot more concert experience than most of the people on this board. In any case, my statement was paraphrased from an interview with Henry Z. Steinway, which you can probably find online somewhere.

Semipro Tech

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops.

If this was the opinion, as you assert, of Henry Steinway, please provide the documentation. A vague reference is not definitive.

Since ivory is such "a lousy material" for keytops, why do manufacturers strive to attain the "touch and feel" of ivory?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
B
If you wish to hire me to do research, make an offer that makes it worth my while.

Semipro Tech
I always hate to see snarkiness in a thread. I guess it can be human nature to an extent.

Let’s try not to get bent too far out of shape here…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
There is an abstract of an article from the New Yorker referring to an interview with Henry Steinway, from Jan. 25th 1958, that is available online. Although I don't have access to the full interview, it seems to support what BDB was stating.

Edith Iglauer and Brendan Gill, The Talk of the Town, “Change of Keys,” The New Yorker, January 25, 1958, p. 25

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1958/01/25/1958_01_25_025_TNY_CARDS_000255790#ixzz2ExRPxgBQ

B
OP Offline
B
Tuner X - thank you for your valuable insights. They ring true. Other than me imposing on David Kirkland (bless his heart) would you know of anyone else who may have further facts in regard to the original Steinway ivory installations in / around 1986? Thank you in advance.

Louis Spencer-Smith
MY PERFECT PIANO com
former - Bosendorfer Pianos of Las Vegas
now - International Piano Brokerage for
Bosendorfer, Hamburg and New York Steinway & Sons Pianos
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Louis,

I have understood it to be an option for a Steinway in the early to mid 1980's. It was also available on Falcone and Bosendorfer grands at that time, and I would imagine on others as well by special order. It was an expensive option, to be sure, but not really at all rare.

A complete ban on ivory happened sometime in the late 1980's that basically stopped these options from being offered, but we have done a few special ordered ivory keyboards since then. You just have to be able to certify where the material came from.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Though perhaps indirectly related to this thread, I have three acoustic pianos in my home (Yamaha, Kawai and Baldwin). Two of them have the real, one piece ivory key tops (the Yamaha and the Kawai).

The ivory does feel different than the plastic… it seems to have a better grip and less slippage. However, it does seem to attract dirt easier and needs more frequent cleaning. I’m thinking the real ivory wears faster than plastic as well.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rickster
Though perhaps indirectly related to this thread, I have three acoustic pianos in my home (Yamaha, Kawai and Baldwin). Two of them have the real, one piece ivory key tops (the Yamaha and the Kawai).

The ivory does feel different than the plastic… it seems to have a better grip and less slippage. However, it does seem to attract dirt easier and needs more frequent cleaning. I’m thinking the real ivory wears faster than plastic as well.

Rick

Are you sure your Yamaha and Kawai have real ivory, Rick? I highly doubt it unless you bought pianos that had it retrofitted at some point (I don't know why anybody would that however). Both Yamaha and Kawai have their own proprietary composite materials that are designed to simulate ivory. They give them names like "ivorite". There is no ivory in them though. Also, almost all ivory keytops are two piece. There is a fine line at the join where the sharps end.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Henry Steinway may have said that ivory was a lousy material, but he had reasons that had nothing to do with playing the instrument. He was a manufacturer, and ivory was less profitable than plastic, thus it was "lousy".

However, there is a property of ivory that performing pianists understand. On a molecular, or slightly larger level(cellular?), the 'tooth' of ivory's surface is greater than the film thickness of human skin oils. This means that no matter what is on the surface, there are still "peaks" sticking up through it, so there is still a direct physical contact between skin and piano. Plastic surfaces are far flatter; when there is a film of oil on its surface, the finger never actually touches the plastic.
This has a bearing on performance, as the ivory provides a more unchanging grip from start to finish, whereas bone-dry plastic is worlds away from a keyboard that hands have just played a couple of sonatas on. This is what performers have mentioned to me, the ivory stays the same. It feels better to me, without question.
Regards,

Last edited by Ed Foote; 12/13/12 08:48 PM.
Originally Posted by ando
Are you sure your Yamaha and Kawai have real ivory, Rick? I highly doubt it unless you bought pianos that had it retrofitted at some point (I don't know why anybody would that however). Both Yamaha and Kawai have their own proprietary composite materials that are designed to simulate ivory. They give them names like "ivorite". There is no ivory in them though. Also, almost all ivory keytops are two piece. There is a fine line at the join where the sharps end.

Hi Ando,

All I can say is that you are welcome to come and inspect the pianos yourself... I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but I think my pianos have real one-piece ivory key tops. The Yamaha is a 1978 model C7 and the Kawai is a 1969 model K48A. They have the color and they have the grain. If it is a composit simulation, they did a great job duplicating the look and feel of real ivory.

Of course, I've been wrong before, but not very often... smile

Rick

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The CITES listing of elephant tusk ivory took place in 1989. The ban on international shipping of elephant ivory products was enacted in 1990.

The earlier imports from both Kawai and Yamaha used ivory keytops and did so until that time.

I agree with ya Rick, if you have the original keytops on your pianos, they would most certainly be ivory based on the dates.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by ando

Hi Ando,

All I can say is that you are welcome to come and inspect the pianos yourself... I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but I think my pianos have real one-piece ivory key tops. The Yamaha is a 1978 model C7 and the Kawai is a 1969 model K48A. They have the color and they have the grain. If it is a composit simulation, they did a great job duplicating the look and feel of real ivory.

Of course, I've been wrong before, but not very often... smile

Rick

Rick, how about putting up pictures of those.

Being here in Canada, and having worked with many Yamahas and Kawais of those years, I have never seen one piece Ivory on them.

I could be wrong, but I am genuinely curious.

Regards

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Jean,

I have a 1966 Kawai KG5 (6’6”) that I service with genuine one piece ivory. This is an interesting machine with 3 inch cheeks, and a huge cabinet rim.

I also have a set of one piece Steinway ivory I rescued years ago. I will take some photos of both and send you a link. Ivory is difficult to photograph to see the grain and seam if there is one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission