Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998431 - 12/12/12 03:16 PM Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc)
Uberweiss Offline

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for making this forum so useful! Hope you can help me with this one:

Im just starting to play the piano, I consider myself an absolute beginner... Anyways, I've decided to buy a DP and get into it more seriously!
Which brings me to my enquiry.... I've been mainly looking at three alternatives:
- Kawai MP-6
- Korg SV-1
- Kawai ES-7

My focus is certainly to learn to play the PIANO so good action is important, however I would like to have the ability (soundwise) to play a few songs by The Doors or something like that, which is why I've been focusing on pianos that have good organ / electric piano sounds as well.
Now from what I've read, the SV-1 should be a really good option, however I've also been reading about soooo many problems with it that I'm not so sure to take the risk.
On the other hand the MP-6 seems a good alternative to the SV-1, and at basically the same price seems like a more solid build that would last a long time without any problems.

So please if you could advise for/against these or other DPs considering my needs, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

PS: is a teacher light years ahead of self-learning or e-learning??? should I give the old DIY a try or find a good teacher as soon as possible?? Im 27 by the way

Thanks in advance,

JOE

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1998440 - 12/12/12 03:44 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
Hi Joe - I'd certainly add one more model to your evaluation list: the Kurzweil MP-10 (or the portable/slab version MPS-10).

I think your instincts and ears will serve you well... usually the one that "feels" right to you is the best option....

Wishing you much luck!

Kind regards,
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#1998444 - 12/12/12 03:50 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Uberweiss
is a teacher light years ahead of self-learning or e-learning ???

Yes.

You are young enough so getting started in the right direction (with a teacher) will serve you well.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1998451 - 12/12/12 04:05 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Teachers are good. If you need to conserve money many teachers will let you have more infrequent lessons.

On the pianos, I'd leave the korg behind. Personally I'd opt for the new technology in the ES7.

#1998467 - 12/12/12 04:39 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
4g63mr Offline

Joe if I had the money upfront I would pick the es7 in a heart beat.
I played a kawai with the same keyboard and loved it.

#1998477 - 12/12/12 04:53 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
JanoSvk Offline

Loc: Slovakia
About the teacher...
In my opinion, and based on my experiences, you can learn on your own to a certain level. But you will:
1) be in a risk of build up bad technique, bad habits. It is usually hard to un-learn that later.
2) probably miss a contact with the musicians in your vicinity.
3) maybe be not so pushed to learn, like with the teacher smile.

I started to learn piano at the age of 30. I am visiting the "elementary" musician school, where my teacher's oldest student is 15 years younger like me. And it is still fun for me (especialy on the recitals). smile

I can recommend you, to take at least two hours per month (but one-two hours per week will be very nice). It will be probably enough to obviate the things what I wrote.

#1998481 - 12/12/12 04:59 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
Uberweiss Offline

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I appreciate all the inputs, and to be honest I've been thinking that the new technology in the ES7 should be worth it just as gvfarns pointed out.

The only thing that makes me think twice about it against the MP6 is the different sounds you can get out of it... Speaking of organs and EPs, I know that you can get somewhat of a drawbar on the MP6 and a lot more sounds are built into it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of guy that thinks that one is better than the other because it has 5,325,254 more sounds (otherwise I'd go for a 20 bucks Casio) I'd rather have the 3 or 4 I would use that sound amazing.

So in this aspect, has any of you used the ES7 for playing The Doors, Led Zeppelin or any other kind of Rock stuff???

Any price competing Rolands or Yamahas that could be a good alternative?

Thanks again!

#1998484 - 12/12/12 05:03 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
Uberweiss Offline

Oh and thanks for the teacher/learning method advises as well!

I'll definitely get at least a few hours from what I'm reading here...
JanoSvk did you find it to hard at first?? I keep hearing that most of the guys that play good started at 12-15 years old.
Is there any future for us??? Lol

#1998488 - 12/12/12 05:18 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
If organ playing is important, I would opt for the MP6 over the ES7.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1998506 - 12/12/12 05:39 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
JanoSvk Offline

Loc: Slovakia
I am looking forward for the future. smile
To be honest, I used to play accordion when I was around the age of 10 for some years. So I had some basics like reading the notes. It was a bit strange at first, but now it is ok. I just do not have so much time for it, like I want to have. Learning itself is not a problem.
But I have too small hands for the piano, so I will be never one of the best. And in my age, they will not grow up anymore. laugh

Nevermind, I enjoy to just sitting in front of the piano in the late evening and express my emotions through the hands and keys (do not forget headphones!). It is for me some kind of escape from the reality, especially after hard day work. Ant I think it is about that. If you really like it there is nothing to judge, like one ad in my country says.
If you like it, you can be good at least for you enjoyment.

#1998530 - 12/12/12 06:26 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
mitzysman Offline

I really like Kawai's piano - But also consider the Yamaha cp-50 and the Yamaha mox8

#1998870 - 12/13/12 11:00 AM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
Uberweiss Offline

Thanks everybody for all the great advises!

At this point I'm leaning towards the Kawai ES7... I'll let you know as soon as I get it and will share my impressions.

#1998931 - 12/13/12 12:41 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
vein Offline

hi friends I recently learnt to play piano from the famous institute in scotland near office address service scotland and i want to buy the piano so tell me the way to choose right piano.

Edited by Ken Knapp (12/13/12 04:10 PM)

#1998952 - 12/13/12 01:06 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: vein]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: vein
hi friends I recently learnt to play piano from the famous institute in scotland near office address service scotland and i want to buy the piano so tell me the way to choose right piano.

Looks like mischief. See his other posts. What do we call that? It's not trolling or spam but ....?

Edited by spanishbuddha (12/13/12 06:09 PM)

#1998955 - 12/13/12 01:17 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Uberweiss]
4g63mr Offline

I recently talked w/ a rep at kraft music. They have a slightly used but completely perfect running condition MP6 for sale that would shave off a couple 100 bucks. Rep said it looks and plays just like brand new.
Might be worth a look. The rep I spoke with was Scott.

#1998956 - 12/13/12 01:19 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: spanishbuddha]
4g63mr Offline

Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha

Looks like mischief. See his other posts. What do we call that? It's not trolling or spam but ....?

Subliminal sales pitch ?

Edited by Ken Knapp (12/13/12 04:11 PM)

#1998957 - 12/13/12 01:20 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: spanishbuddha]
Voltara Offline

Link spam - trying to increase search result ranking by creating links back to a web site. Many forums require a minimum number of posts before you can post links, so that's why you see those first few posts.

I would recommend editing your reply to remove the spammer's URL tag.

#1998959 - 12/13/12 01:22 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: Voltara]
4g63mr Offline

Originally Posted By: Voltara

Link spam - trying to increase search result ranking by creating links back to a web site. Many forums require a minimum number of posts before you can post links, so that's why you see those first few posts.

I would recommend editing your reply to remove the spammer's URL tag.

Dangit, you win.. I thought I had that one :p

#1999052 - 12/13/12 04:44 PM Re: Help finding the right Piano! (Kawai, Korg, etc) [Re: vein]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore

As long as you don't buy anything from piano supplies dot com...they are very bad...

good luck... laugh

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
Today at 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Who's Online
68 registered (bennevis, Abby Pianoman, 36251, BearLake, 20 invisible), 817 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315169 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission