2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for making this forum so useful! Hope you can help me with this one:

Im just starting to play the piano, I consider myself an absolute beginner... Anyways, I've decided to buy a DP and get into it more seriously!
Which brings me to my enquiry.... I've been mainly looking at three alternatives:
- Kawai MP-6
- Korg SV-1
- Kawai ES-7

My focus is certainly to learn to play the PIANO so good action is important, however I would like to have the ability (soundwise) to play a few songs by The Doors or something like that, which is why I've been focusing on pianos that have good organ / electric piano sounds as well.
Now from what I've read, the SV-1 should be a really good option, however I've also been reading about soooo many problems with it that I'm not so sure to take the risk.
On the other hand the MP-6 seems a good alternative to the SV-1, and at basically the same price seems like a more solid build that would last a long time without any problems.

So please if you could advise for/against these or other DPs considering my needs, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

PS: is a teacher light years ahead of self-learning or e-learning??? should I give the old DIY a try or find a good teacher as soon as possible?? Im 27 by the way

Thanks in advance,

JOE

Hi Joe - I'd certainly add one more model to your evaluation list: the Kurzweil MP-10 (or the portable/slab version MPS-10).

I think your instincts and ears will serve you well... usually the one that "feels" right to you is the best option....

Wishing you much luck!

Kind regards,

- Gary
Parent, Son, Sibling and Friend searching for inner peace in a chaotic world.
Currently employed by Steinway & Sons, but the opinions expressed here are my own.
Creator of "The Naked Piano" series (http://www.nakedpiano.com)
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Uberweiss
is a teacher light years ahead of self-learning or e-learning ???

Yes.

You are young enough so getting started in the right direction (with a teacher) will serve you well.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Teachers are good. If you need to conserve money many teachers will let you have more infrequent lessons.

On the pianos, I'd leave the korg behind. Personally I'd opt for the new technology in the ES7.

Joe if I had the money upfront I would pick the es7 in a heart beat.
I played a kawai with the same keyboard and loved it.

J
J
About the teacher...
In my opinion, and based on my experiences, you can learn on your own to a certain level. But you will:
1) be in a risk of build up bad technique, bad habits. It is usually hard to un-learn that later.
2) probably miss a contact with the musicians in your vicinity.
3) maybe be not so pushed to learn, like with the teacher smile.

I started to learn piano at the age of 30. I am visiting the "elementary" musician school, where my teacher's oldest student is 15 years younger like me. And it is still fun for me (especialy on the recitals). smile

I can recommend you, to take at least two hours per month (but one-two hours per week will be very nice). It will be probably enough to obviate the things what I wrote.

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks for all the quick replies!

I appreciate all the inputs, and to be honest I've been thinking that the new technology in the ES7 should be worth it just as gvfarns pointed out.

The only thing that makes me think twice about it against the MP6 is the different sounds you can get out of it... Speaking of organs and EPs, I know that you can get somewhat of a drawbar on the MP6 and a lot more sounds are built into it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of guy that thinks that one is better than the other because it has 5,325,254 more sounds (otherwise I'd go for a 20 bucks Casio) I'd rather have the 3 or 4 I would use that sound amazing.

So in this aspect, has any of you used the ES7 for playing The Doors, Led Zeppelin or any other kind of Rock stuff???

Any price competing Rolands or Yamahas that could be a good alternative?

Thanks again!

U
OP Offline
U
Oh and thanks for the teacher/learning method advises as well!

I'll definitely get at least a few hours from what I'm reading here...
JanoSvk did you find it to hard at first?? I keep hearing that most of the guys that play good started at 12-15 years old.
Is there any future for us??? Lol

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If organ playing is important, I would opt for the MP6 over the ES7.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
I am looking forward for the future. smile
To be honest, I used to play accordion when I was around the age of 10 for some years. So I had some basics like reading the notes. It was a bit strange at first, but now it is ok. I just do not have so much time for it, like I want to have. Learning itself is not a problem.
But I have too small hands for the piano, so I will be never one of the best. And in my age, they will not grow up anymore. laugh

Nevermind, I enjoy to just sitting in front of the piano in the late evening and express my emotions through the hands and keys (do not forget headphones!). It is for me some kind of escape from the reality, especially after hard day work. Ant I think it is about that. If you really like it there is nothing to judge, like one ad in my country says.
If you like it, you can be good at least for you enjoyment.

S
S
I really like Kawai's piano - But also consider the Yamaha cp-50 and the Yamaha mox8

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
U
OP Offline
U
Thanks everybody for all the great advises!

At this point I'm leaning towards the Kawai ES7... I'll let you know as soon as I get it and will share my impressions.

V
V
hi friends I recently learnt to play piano from the famous institute in scotland near office address service scotland and i want to buy the piano so tell me the way to choose right piano.

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 12/13/12 05:10 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by vein
hi friends I recently learnt to play piano from the famous institute in scotland near office address service scotland and i want to buy the piano so tell me the way to choose right piano.

Looks like mischief. See his other posts. What do we call that? It's not trolling or spam but ....?

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 12/13/12 07:09 PM.
I recently talked w/ a rep at kraft music. They have a slightly used but completely perfect running condition MP6 for sale that would shave off a couple 100 bucks. Rep said it looks and plays just like brand new.
Might be worth a look. The rep I spoke with was Scott.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Looks like mischief. See his other posts. What do we call that? It's not trolling or spam but ....?

Subliminal sales pitch ?

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 12/13/12 05:11 PM.
V
V

Link spam - trying to increase search result ranking by creating links back to a web site. Many forums require a minimum number of posts before you can post links, so that's why you see those first few posts.

I would recommend editing your reply to remove the spammer's URL tag.

Originally Posted by Voltara

Link spam - trying to increase search result ranking by creating links back to a web site. Many forums require a minimum number of posts before you can post links, so that's why you see those first few posts.

I would recommend editing your reply to remove the spammer's URL tag.

Dangit, you win.. I thought I had that one :p

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M

As long as you don't buy anything from piano supplies dot com...they are very bad...

good luck... laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission