Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1999123 - 12/13/12 07:36 PM You have to be obsessed
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I've come to realize, in order to really be a good pianist, you have to be obsessed and committed to your playing more than anything else. There will always be a party to go to, a more "fun" activity, friends looking for something to do when you should be practicing. It seems like the real trick is learning to value your time practicing and working on music over these common distractions. I know for me that's the case.

I've given myself a big workload over my Christmas break. I'm going to be learning a lot of music, and my goal is to learn it better than any previous music I've learned. I was thinking about it today, and came to realize that the only way to succeed is to be obsessed and consumed with it to the point that when a distraction comes my way, I'm ready to say no if the days work isn't finished.

Thoughts?

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1999144 - 12/13/12 08:29 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: TrueMusic]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

What's more fun than playing the piano? confused

#1999147 - 12/13/12 09:10 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: trigalg693]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
What's more fun than playing the piano? confused

Playing a Steinway Piano

Edited by Batuhan (12/13/12 09:10 PM)

Published:
Waltz Op. 36 No. 1 in G-flat major,
2 Preludes, Op. 12 in D-flat major.

#1999182 - 12/13/12 10:28 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: TrueMusic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I think, what you truly need, is a deeply ingrained love for the piano, so that when "distractions" come your way, it is in your natural disposition to want to sit at the keys first. In this way, the "distractions" really aren't distractions for you, because you would rather be sitting at the piano. wink

However, I would say this applies to any endeavor-- to become truly great, you must not only be willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve it, you must also desire it.

#1999214 - 12/13/12 11:28 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: TrueMusic]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

It helps a lot if you can surround yourself with like minded people.

While it's great to lock yourself away and practice, it's also good not to let yourself forget how to be social. Locking yourself away will make you a better pianist. However, having good social skills will get you work! Both are important.

FWIW, I know a bass player who practiced all morning and afternoon, every single day, and gigged and/or went to shows to network, every single night, almost without fail. She got to be pretty well known and gets tons of work now, but this never would have happened if she never left the practice room.

#1999218 - 12/13/12 11:37 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Turemusic: I think that what you say applies to any career related profession... Any non 9-5 job will need to have a does of obsession. And this is a reason why most career driven people (especially those who actually have a great career) are also having serious trouble in maintaining a family: Both the career and family are too demanding for a single person.

As for overdoing it over Christmas, I'd say that keep it to a minimum but consider this: The Christmas period is not enough to make you a brilliant pianist, so it would be much better to find a schedule that fits your life throughout the weeks and months to come, rather than overdoing it for a couple of weeks and then not so much...

As for being social, etc I fully agree! More than 100%! grin But keep in mind that you will also need to build confidence in your skills before you can be social about them! wink

#1999425 - 12/14/12 01:40 PM Re: You have to be obsessed [Re: Nikolas]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Originally Posted By: DanS

FWIW, I know a bass player who practiced all morning and afternoon, every single day, and gigged and/or went to shows to network, every single night, almost without fail. She got to be pretty well known and gets tons of work now, but this never would have happened if she never left the practice room.

Good little story! I don't have much of a problem being social though, I need to be more disciplined with my practicing! For me, being social is fairly easy and natural. So what my OP was intending more was that, at least for me, I need to learn to be willing to say no to social things if my piano work for the day isn't done yet.

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Turemusic:
As for overdoing it over Christmas, I'd say that keep it to a minimum but consider this: The Christmas period is not enough to make you a brilliant pianist, so it would be much better to find a schedule that fits your life throughout the weeks and months to come, rather than overdoing it for a couple of weeks and then not so much...

Well, I do have a fairly good practice routine right now that does work for me quite well during the school semester. But over break I have tons of extra time and am finding ways to use it! I already have my routine figured out for the school year though. It's just as a student my schedule changes all the time! Can't keep anything consistent...ha.

Edited by TrueMusic (12/14/12 01:41 PM)

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (ando, allakart, Badinage, 26 invisible), 841 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157173 Topics
2308418 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer 275
by PhilipInChina
Today at 03:07 AM
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
Today at 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
Today at 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission